Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
17 September 2015 14:32
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from Tim
. Would it be useful to have the option to select if you search just the subject or subject and body of the messages too? If you can think of any other changes for the mail search it would be great to hear them.

I'm guessing that searching subjects only is much faster than searching thru all messages, so maybe default option could be "Subject only" but also give an option to search both.

marlham is off-line
17 September 2015 16:09
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Tim
I think it's fair to say there is a general slow down across the board but at these times it gives us an opportunity with the existing community to develop the site further, develop ourselves and innovate to help drive in new members as well as improve for the existing.

Hello Tim. This might not be an issue which affects many members but it has had quite serious consequences for a model I work with.

Basically the model had marked all the images in her portfolio as 'members only' in order to prevent a stalker seeing them. I did the same with all the images I had of her in my portfolio. However neither of us realised that anybody - including non members - can see the thumbnails of her images in my portfolio simply by clicking on the 'View image gallery of this persons images on other members profiles' link in her profile. Even though the images themselves are marked 'members only'.

In addition there is a problem in that not all the images you're entitled to upload as part of your subscription can be marked as 'members only'. This effectively limits the number of images anybody can have in their portfolio if they need to ensure that none are viewable by non members.

I had contacted Matt directly about this a few weeks ago and he did say he would do something about it but I guess he's been busy. Thought I'd mention it here too in case you can help.

Cheers... Mark

w4pictures is off-line
17 September 2015 16:26
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Another thought, Tim, is that the top banner photos should be a showcase of the best pictures available, regardless of the level of membership.

This is your shop window. For a long time now, the same pictures have been rotating month after month. Its not to say that they're not good pictures, but its a bit like walking past a shop every day watching the display getting dustier and dustier.

Surely these showcase photos are there to attract and inspire.

17 September 2015 16:52
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from w4pictures
Another thought, Tim, is that the top banner photos should be a showcase of the best pictures available, regardless of the level of membership. This is your shop window. For a long time now, the same pictures have been rotating month after month. Its not to say that they're not good pictures, but its a bit like walking past a shop every day watching the display getting dustier and dustier. Surely these showcase photos are there to attract and inspire.

I've just checked mine.  I haven't changed most of mine in the last three years.  There's little incentive to.  Not that I'm assuming they are of a good enough quality, but they might be?

Profile Pictures is off-line
18 September 2015 03:33
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Please, though the site is far from perfect (and, though tidy today, often the headline pictures are often profilepictures is a naughty person poor or hang around forever) one thing PS does pretty well, is avoid all the sunshine blowing and pretend medals rubbish associated with other portfolio hosting sites. Can we keep it that way?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 September 2015 04:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
one thing PS does pretty well, is avoid all the sunshine blowing and pretend medals rubbish associated with other portfolio hosting sites. Can we keep it that way?

^ This
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Tim is a moderatorPlatinum Member
19 September 2015 03:36
Tim
Model
Tim
East Sussex
Brighton

Quote from PHP_Photography
I'm guessing that searching subjects only is much faster than searching thru all messages, so maybe default option could be "Subject only" but also give an option to search both.

An excellent suggestion Pentti for having the default option to just search the subject only with an additional option to search the entire message (body and subject). Initial testing has shown that we do need to think about the search performance when selecting to search all messages (subject and body) due to the volume of messages some members have stored.

Quote from marlhamphoto
Hello Tim. This might not be an issue which affects many members but it has had quite serious consequences for a model I work with.

Cheers... Mark

Thanks Mark for letting me know about the functionality issue with the members only image setting. Very helpful to know and I'll have a catch up with Matt to see where we are on this and between us look at resolving as well as any additional improvements for the members only image feature.

Quote from w4pictures
Another thought, Tim, is that the top banner photos should be a showcase of the best pictures available, regardless of the level of membership....Surely these showcase photos are there to attract and inspire.

Hi Martin, thanks for taking the time along with everyone else who is kindly contributing to this thread. It's great food for thought on the homepage banner because your absolutely spot on, it's there to showcase our fantastic members and the creative images everyone works so hard to create. So I'm looking forward to reviewing this part of our site and seeing how we can improve the top banner feature further than what it currently does. Thank you for this thought.

Please, though the site is far from perfect ... one thing PS does pretty well, is avoid all the sunshine blowing and pretend medals rubbish associated with other portfolio hosting sites. Can we keep it that way?

Hi Neil, thanks for your guidance on what you don't want too, echoed also by Steven. This is so helpful for us to know as we would like to find new ways to promote our superb members but do this in the right way so thank you for this pointer

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, advice and suggestions so far, it's great to read and we greatly appreciate it
many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
20 September 2015 03:48
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from Tim
Initial testing has shown that we do need to think about the search performance when selecting to search all messages (subject and body) due to the volume of messages some members have stored. 

No idea how you store messages in your database but maybe one could also limit the search between dates to make the message pool smaller.

Maybe you could conduct a survey with models what functionality they wish to add/change.

Liteangle is off-lineSilver Member
20 September 2015 15:37
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

Hi Tim,
If you are serious about making improvements to the site then I'd be delighted. If so please read the messages I have sent you in the past year or so regarding suggestions for improvements and let me know if any of them have been implemented or whether they will be considered for implementation with this new push.

Kind regards,
Alan

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
21 September 2015 04:50
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Please, though the site is far from perfect (and, though tidy today, often the headline pictures are often magpie1 is a naughty person poor or hang around forever) one thing PS does pretty well, is avoid all the sunshine blowing and pretend medals rubbish associated with other portfolio hosting sites. Can we keep it that way?

Yes, why I stay here.

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin Just_janine Micah68
Andy_B davejarvis djb1 duncanjames hylander JohnDentonPhoto Jonathan52 kaosrox Ladiesman lfc9_uk matt68uk MIB mlp Moodie orca_photography Philski poah Puremoods RMI rod_m99 stevegosh Steveh32 swalsh58 tarmoo Twigtitus westend_portfolios