They cannot be serious!

Barney Douglas is off-line
08 August 2015 02:23
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

I just checked through the recent "newbies" saying "Hi" on this forum, and two who posted here recently have already left the site.

Of the two models who posted castings and to which I responded recently, (one of them with quality publication credits already), neither has responded to my applications to their castings, and neither has actually returned to log on to the site since posting their castings.

I have two major websites seeking my images, albeit on syndication ... credits to die for as they say for models seriously into then genres these sites seek, and I've found fewer than twenty models with the skills and the right looks across the major modelling sites in six months.  I am now seriously looking at mainland European models to supply the clients' needs.

The thing I find probably more frustrating than anything else is poor communications, especially from models.  (If your comms are good, I am not criticising you.)

How do others feel?
"Simplicity in Photography for over 25 Years"

HowardJ is off-line
08 August 2015 04:34
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Life goes on...

Paul J is off-line
08 August 2015 06:41
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

Quote from bdfoto
How do others feel?

i feel there was no need to start this thread!

you've started off by drawing our attention to just 2 individual newbie models who've dared to join purestorm & say 'hi'.

yet, in the second part of your post you've admitted you've had an on-going inability to recruit models running throughout most this year to the point of having to look at the european market.

i understand frustration regarding poor comms, lack of available talent etc. but if this is something you've been experiencing for months surely it's wrong to single out these two new models?

..... and your legs are too short, I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport

08 August 2015 07:08
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

I'm not singling them out. I'm merely citing them as examples. It's not uncommon. And it's not just this site.

I take your point. What I'd really like to see is constructive ideas as to how to make things better here ... and elsewhere generally.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 August 2015 08:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Many models leave shortly after joining as they're hounded by photographers keen get hold of fresh meat, and more often than not they'll likely be inundated with inappropriate offers well beyond their desired levels.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

08 August 2015 09:45
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

Quote from RedChecker
Many models leave shortly after joining as they're hounded by photographers keen get hold of fresh meat, and more often than not they'll likely be inundated with inappropriate offers well beyond their desired levels.

That I would agree with.

Simon Chan is off-line
08 August 2015 13:38
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

And I thought it was lack of activities in PS why new models leave. I often been told by models to not contact them through PS because they don't use this site anymore which they no longer update.

Maybe the poster might be interested to check if the models are active in other modelling forums?

Profile Pictures is off-line
08 August 2015 13:52
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

This will come across as having a pop, but is intended in good faith. Whilst there have always been a high proportion of folk who appear here as photographers or models and then never really engage other than perhaps to prove to their friends they've 'arrived' it's also fair to say that of you're going to cast aspersions about others - you ought to be pretty certain of your own projected image and activity first. To turn that lens around then, if anyone checked out your websites for the first time today ( as I just have) it'd cast into serious doubt your lengthy list of accolades ( and I think beginning in 1986 is lengthy) and ability to provide positive experiences for new models in terms of exposure and pay. I'll use the example of calender work, and make no comment on your photography; the amazon review of one of these purchased, which most stood out was this for me...

'Home made on an inkjet printer which in my case was running low on coloured ink!
At least it has the days of the month on it so I can work out when Im supposed to be awake and when Im not.
Was this review helpful?

In this case, no, I expect you didn't think it helpful as reviews go, and perhaps if possible collaborators see this, allied to your incredibly duff looking website, they might feel something doesn't quite add up and avoid further contact?

I expect considerable flak will ensue for these comment, but wonder if you're a bit blinkered as to the reality of the situation not only for models who don't quite match expectations or advertisement, but also for photographers?

08 August 2015 15:09
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

Quote from profilepictures
This will come across as having a pop, but is intended in good faith.  

Fair comment, and no offence taken.

Let's deal with Amazon first.

I've had three duff bits of feedback on Amazon in six years:
  • One was removed by the reviewer who admitted it was malicious;
  • On the one you cite, the reviewer undertook to remove it after I politely pointed out that the calendars were printed on laser (as was stated clearly in the product description ... I complied with the Trades Descriptions Act) ... but never did;
  • The only other one is the subject of an Amazon investigation at the moment in light of the Competitions and Marketing Authority's own investigations into fake reviews (not just Amazon ... but sites such as Trip Advisor).  Amazon themselves are currently reviewing the third, I think I have identified the buyer, and I am 99% certain the origin is the same as the first (malicious) review which was removed.  
  • On Amazon performance reviews, where I can positively identify the buyer by order number on every occasion, my rating is not far off 100%.
There are at least two reports in the media on Google search, and they are cross-referenced by the BBC, of Amazon's own investigations into fake reviews.

On another site where I work, and where buyer and seller can identify each other, I enjoy a 4.98 out of 5 star rating.

As for my longevity in the industry:
  • Whilst undertaking regular work for a small entertainment and modelling agency in Sussex in 1986 I shot the portfolio that got Clare Mulholland into Select Agency, still in the industry but now based in the USA.
  • I was, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the highest grossing fundraiser for Photo Aid, the industry's response to Live Aid / Band Aid which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, where I worked alongside Page 3 icon, Linda Lusardi.  The late Geoff Wootten was involved with that fundraising effort too.
I did largely step out from behind the lens into photographic laboratory and studio management for some years and also worked in the advertising industry very successfully from 1990 to 2008 whilst doing a little freelance photography.

And I personally always respond to messages within 24 hours, or tell the other party why I am unable to do so.

And yes, I know the websites need a serious makeover.

frown

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
09 August 2015 03:31
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from Chandos
And I thought it was lack of activities in PS why new models leave. I often been told by models to not contact them through PS because they don't use this site anymore which they no longer update. Maybe the poster might be interested to check if the models are active in other modelling forums?

A number of models I know tell me they have been encouraged to go elsewhere by some photographers on this site, but what these guys don't tell the girls is that they are trying to generate free membership upgrades for their account by intoducing the models to another site.
Bob

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
missminiskirt Trinalee
djb1 Don_Dark duncanjames fannmore GerryS2 jake_istvan JohnDentonPhoto Lumen Paz photomart Rscott360 Stevew1