Starting photography. Need advice

RoxyMendez is off-lineSilver Member
10 August 2015 17:15
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Wow, lots of great comments. Thanks everyone for your help. Also, thanks to you too Chrissie. I'll bear that in mind.

Everyone's been so helpful, I will certainly continue using mine for now, whilst taking online tutorials, maybe search for courses I can go and do.

Thanks guys,

Roxy

4EverYoung is off-line
10 August 2015 21:38
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Personally i wouldn't dive in and buy a 50mm f1.8 (plastic fantastic). While it does offer a wide open aperture of 1.8 good for those soft blurred back grounds etc and as a prime it will be sharper than the kit lens. At its 1.8 the depth of field will be very shallow so unless your point of focus is spot on you will likely end up with more l out of focus images.
Canons 1.2 50mm is huge in quality, price , size and weight approx 1200 quid id guess where the nifty fifty 1.8 is 60 to 70 band new....

Thats great value for money without a doubt. Take into account on your camera any 50mm will give the same field of view as an 80mm lens effectively so you will need to be that bit further away from the subject.

Set your kit lens to 50mm then challenge yourself to take pictures but you can only change shutter speed and iso see how you get on.

If you find it good then maybe the little 50 would be worth a punt
I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
11 August 2015 00:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Midnite
Personally i wouldn't dive in and buy a 50mm f1.8 (plastic fantastic). While it does offer a wide open aperture of 1.8 good for those soft blurred back grounds etc and as a prime it will be sharper than the kit lens. At its 1.8 the depth of field will be very shallow so unless your point of focus is spot on you will likely end up with more l out of focus images. Canons 1.2 50mm is huge in quality, price , size and weight approx 1200 quid id guess where the nifty fifty 1.8 is 60 to 70 band new.... Thats great value for money without a doubt. Take into account on your camera any 50mm will give the same field of view as an 80mm lens effectively so you will need to be that bit further away from the subject. Set your kit lens to 50mm then challenge yourself to take pictures but you can only change shutter speed and iso see how you get on. If you find it good then maybe the little 50 would be worth a punt

The problem with the 'kit' lens is that it's aperture values are so high for its focal length that it is actually quite difficult to see the effect aperture has on taking photos, especially with a crop sensor (remember it's at f5.6 at the long end, that's stopped down by 3.5 stops compared to the 50mm at a similar focal length).  At the very least the 50mm will make it plainly obvious what's happening when the aperture is changed, which I would say is a good thing for a beginner, even if precise focussing is a problem (a 50mm f1.8 on a crop body isn't too bad, or at least I don't recall having problems when I used to regularly use this combination).

I'd say having both lenses (18-55 and 50mm) would give the best combination of flexibility for the money and allow anyone using it to learn most aspects of photography.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Just_janine wildchief
couchpotato gordon grahamsphotography PDCPhotos Studio4