Starting photography. Need advice

RoxyMendez is off-lineSilver Member
07 August 2015 12:07
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

HELP!? Quick question .... TAMRON SIGMA or CANON lens??? So confused!!!

07 August 2015 12:08
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-18-50mm-f3-5-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0001VQ124

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-17-50mm-f2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-asp-if-lens-canon-fit/p1013810?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-camera-lenses-_-canon-fit-_-tamron-17-50mm-f2-8-xr-di-ii-ld-asp-if-lens-canon-fit_1013810&utm_source=googlebase-extension&mkwid=szumi23al_dc&pcrid=72342106689&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=cj-morktl8ccfstitaodqv8bjw

I'm never going to find one am I? haha

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 August 2015 12:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I agree with redbaron, the 18-55 is the lens to start with as it covers the most widely used range of focal lengths.

Once you're used to it, something like a 50mm or 85mm prime (Canon's f1.8 versions are imo affordable) may be a nice addition that will produce great quality images on a crop sensor that will be a close match to far more expensive lenses on full frame bodies.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Profile Pictures is off-line
07 August 2015 12:22
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Canon 50mm f1.8 mk2. About £60 second hand will allow you to take pictures you feel proud of right now. It's a weak plastic noisy toy to look at and feel, but the glass beats everything in its price range. You can sell it ( and you will) for the same when you make the upgrade to Sigma.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
07 August 2015 12:32
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from RoxyMendez
redbaron - thank you very, very much, I have had a couple of private emails suggested I try a 50 as well. I will certainly be looking in to that as well - how much are they second hand?? Thanks again, Roxy

As I understood your posts you have a 18mm-55mm lens that effectively covers 50mm. Assumin gyou are photographing people then the 50mm will do you just fine for now. I would keep clear of the very wide angle end of that lens for a while though as it can cause nasty distortion to features and body unless you know exactly how to take advantage of that.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
07 August 2015 12:37
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from RoxyMendez
redbaron - thank you very, very much, I have had a couple of private emails suggested I try a 50 as well. I will certainly be looking in to that as well - how much are they second hand?? Thanks again, Roxy

As I understood your posts you have a 18mm-55mm lens that effectively covers 50mm. Assumin gyou are photographing people then the 50mm will do you just fine for now. I would keep clear of the very wide angle end of that lens for a while though as it can cause nasty distortion to features and body unless you know exactly how to take advantage of that. I don't think you should by any other lenses until you know exactly what you are buying and why.

What I would do is head over the CreativeLive right now as they are running several free photography Webinars that are just what you may need for starting out
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

07 August 2015 13:06
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Okay thank you very much.

ukphotosbycolin is off-line
07 August 2015 15:05
UKcolin
Photographer
UKcolin
Greater Manchester
Manchester

I agree shoot with what you have till you get the hang of things look on Adorama Tv for basic photography videos. they are simple and good. Dont spend money till you have worked out what or where you want to go with your photography most of all have fun. Oh and welcome to the other side of the camera.

Colin
Have a good Day, UKcolin

ukphotosbycolin is off-line
07 August 2015 15:07
UKcolin
Photographer
UKcolin
Greater Manchester
Manchester

PS that big daft tripod is holding a Sigma 150-500 lens i use for motorsport its next to impossible to hand hold it!
Have a good Day, UKcolin

HowardJ is off-line
07 August 2015 19:02
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Canon 18-55 with image stabilisation (IS version) is pretty good and would work well on your crop sensored 600D. The sensor on your camera isn't full frame, so the effective range of the lens on the 600D would be 1.6 (the multiplier of your sensor size) x 18mm = 28.8mm through to 1.6 x 55mm = 88mm. So on your camera the 18-55mm lens would actually give you a range of 28.8-88mm.

I started out with an 18-55mm and it worked pretty well. I moved to the 24-105mm when I got a full frame sensored body.

A 50mm prime is a good second lens for portraits. Personally I recommend the EF 50mm f1.4 USM which you can get for £238.

Check sites like camerapricebuster.co.UK for the best prices and use companies like topcashback.co.UK to get money back on orders at wexphotographic.co.uk

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777
Fluffypup Happysnappyj Rhadamanthus timwalton42 woody