Starting photography. Need advice

RoxyMendez is off-lineSilver Member
07 August 2015 08:18
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Hi all. I have had a camera for years now but I haven't used it much!

I have a Canon 600D and I also have lights (Bowens)

I have a standard lens (can't remember which one at this time) But I was wondering -

What's the best lens to get started with? I know they can be very expensive, but would like a decent one. People I have spoke to says my lens is not good enough for what I want to be able to do... Which is portraits, family photos, models etc I just want to be abel to have a good range.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Roxy

Dave Beasley is off-line
07 August 2015 08:36
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi Roxy,
I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice - most of it different to the previous advice!

But anyway you can approach this situation in a few ways:

Buy a Canon 50mm f1.8 STM lens at around £100 - this will suffice for the time being

Buy a cheap(ish) zoom lens, but not really worth doing as you'll only want to replace it before long

Spend loads of money on a decent lens straight away, such as Canon 24-105mm f4L IS at about £650. This will last you a very long time (Been using mine for 9 years now).

Some people will suggest you buy EF-S lenses as your camera is not full frame, I would advise against that as by buying EF lenses, they will fit any new Canon camera you buy whether it be full frame or APS-C, whereas EF-S lenses will not fit full frame bodies.

Dave

07 August 2015 08:52
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Hi Dave - Appreciate your advice, thank you.

What does "Full frame" actually mean? Because I know about framing, I better understand what that means too though!

I have just checked - I have a EFS 18-55mm please say that makes sense? haha

Thank you,

Roxy

07 August 2015 09:00
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

I am going to paste what i've found and i'll leave you to tell me if they're any good!? (I am planning to have tutorials/courses so I have a vague idea of whats going on!)

Maybe somebody could tell me what all the different letters mean? ...

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

Sigma 10-20mm F4/5.6 DC HSM (Canon EOS Fit)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 August 2015 09:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Those two are oddball lenses, not very practical for many uses.

DG is Sigma's term for full-frame compatible lenses (I think)
DC is Sigma's term for crop-sensor compatible lenses (which the 600D is)
OS is an optical stabiliser (it wobbles about to compensate for your wobbling)
HSM is HyperSonic Motor (the AF motor, it means it'll be fast and quiet)
APO is Apochromatic Lens element (it's a buzzword for one of the pieces of glass inside the lens... better quality image basically)

The 'full frame' refers to the sensor size (nothing to do with framing)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

07 August 2015 09:37
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Thanks for you help RedChecker.

I will continue searching for a good but cost effective lens! Perhaps there's some for sale on here second hand??

Dave Beasley is off-line
07 August 2015 09:52
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Yep, agree those two lenses not really much use to you. The 18-55 EF-S which you have is OK and will get you started, use apertures between 5.6 and 11 and the results will be OK for now - it will certainly get you started while you look for something else.

Seriously you wouldn't go far wrong with a 24-105mm f4L - new £650, secondhand maybe try London Camera Exchange or Wex as you get a guarantee

Dave

07 August 2015 10:14
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

Hi Dave - I have used my camera a few times so maybe it's just me that's the problem, not the lens. Ha ha

I will look at the ones you suggested though.

I just need to figure how out to use it properly! For natural light and stuff like that , would my lens be okay? I definitely think it's me... lol

Thanks again, Roxy

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
07 August 2015 11:22
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm going to disagree with the above a little. Go with what you have for now. Yes it is an odd set of lenses.

One goes from 'normal' 50 mm to very wide angle. The latter end being genrally unflattering for portraits. The other starts at one end of the 'ideal' portrait lens and goes on to a zoom more suited for shooting birds of a feathered sort than those on here.

As you camera is a 'crop' sensor I would put away the bigger lens and go for the 18-50 zoom. Not quite the 24-70 24-100 I prefer for most work but at this stage you would be better investing spare cash on training than kit. Even a cheap kit lens will prove more than good enough initially.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

07 August 2015 12:06
RoxyMendez
Model
RoxyMendez
Worcestershire
Malvern

redbaron - thank you very, very much,

I have had a couple of private emails suggested I try a 50 as well. I will certainly be looking in to that as well - how much are they second hand??

Thanks again,

Roxy

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Jessicaliu1993 natpenelope Natural_happy_girl SuzyMonty
antoinewynn bayford dby47 Don_Dark edwards ImageStyle mlp PhilStorm pvfb scott24 smphotographic Steveh32 stuartnoo Thunder_Photos totalpics TROY4
harbourstudio