Reminder Secure

New to fashion photography - what do you think?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
GFWilliams is off-line
27 July 2015 13:01
GFWilliams
Photographer
GFWilliams
Surrey
Reigate

Hello all, I've been a member on here for years now but haven't been as active as I'd have liked to have been. I'm predominantly an Automotive Photographer, but have recently taken an interest in doing more fashion work. This was my first real crack at a fashion shoot, it was a massive learning curve and if I were to do it again I could do it a lot better already, but I'd love to hear some feedback from the experts on here and hear what I've missed and how you all think the set could be better.

The model is Elle Harris from Norwich and it was styled by Louise Lace. bts video here: https://vimeo.com/132867411

George

ChrisS is off-line
27 July 2015 13:11
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

I quite like the 2nd and 3rd shots.

The 4th has a bit of dull lighting IMO.

The others - not a fan of the composition. You've cut off the car and there is too much sky.

They're all sharp though and a great model choice.

Steve Walsh is off-line
27 July 2015 16:27
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

I quite like the first 4, not a fan of the last ones though

Profile Pictures is off-line
27 July 2015 18:39
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Bloody good show mate, knocks 95% of the stuff on here off its perch and if these are your first attempts, I'd expect very good things of you in the future too.

What a treat to see something nice here.

KT101 is off-line
28 July 2015 03:04
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Hertfordshire
Borehamwood

5 and 6 do it for me.
1 and 2 seem to have too much emphasis on the car.
3 and 4 are a little dark for my liking.
In all though, bloody good work.
You need to be proud of yourself.
What do I know about photography..... I'm a mechanic/milkman/driver/dogsbody. etc. etc. etc.

Paul Jones is off-line
28 July 2015 04:22
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from profilepictures
Bloody good show mate, knocks 95% of the stuff on here off its perch and if these are your first attempts, I'd expect very good things of you in the future too. What a treat to see something nice here.

Same here.  Good job.
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Tony T is off-lineGold Member
28 July 2015 05:06
tthompson01
Photographer
tthompson01
Lincolnshire
Grantham

A great set of images, and as said by profile pictures better than many produce on here.

However in my opinion (for what it's worth) they are more about the car and the landscape than the garments the model is wearing.

Surely a great fashion shot should first and foremost concentrate the viewer on the garment that is what matters, here I am more drawn to the car and or the landscape finally the model, my last thought is what she is wearing.

Most will probably disagree with my view, but I thought I would give it anyway.

I still think they are a great set and very well executed as images.
A camera is just a box, any image produced with it emanates from the eye and mind of it's opperator.

28 July 2015 06:54
paule
Photographer

very nice set.. 2,3 & 5 I like the most.. 3 especially..

Don Butt is online
28 July 2015 08:00
djb1
Photographer

Kent
dartford

Excellent photography, but very little to do with fashion work which, primarily, features the clothes and the model not the surroundings.

Profile Pictures is off-line
28 July 2015 08:33
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I'm guessing fine if this is well intentioned, but in context we see all too many pictures of an indifferent looking woman with her pants off and a 'new look' shirt unbuttoned under the heading of 'fashion' here all the time! If you've a great landscape and props you use them (as here) ideally with supplementary shots of garment details of your doing a spread for a magazine etc. any of these pictures with a fee very simple closer views of the garments would make a quality spread in any glossy mag. I'm not left in any doubt that the author can produce that - but frankly, who the hell would comment positively on a picture here of a halter neckline or some interesting buttons?

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ashley_19 Bkuzak77 ElleLaura mandymack toxicinnocence
coolcamel david1500 dazglam DJ200 djb1 eosfan john_at_tina_spice jonnykoi Kjoservices modelboutique myphotography orca_photography Photojames43 Pjsphotos rcbb scottmcccxiv steveh32