Reminder Secure

Aperture to Lightroom switch

Nick Skinner is off-line
07 July 2015 06:09
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

Has anyone switched their Aperture library to Lightroom? I would be interested to hear how straightforward it was and any problems that were encountered. My Aperture library is mostly raw images, can they be transferred as raw, or are they converted to jpg. I have an early Photoshop on an old laptop but never did much more than scratch the surface of its capabilities. I am not into image manipulation as such, just creating clean well balanced pictures with a minimum of retouching. Having used Aperture since it's introduction I am nervous of making the sadly, inevitable switch. Oh finally I don't need cloud storage which comes with the monthly so would prefer to buy outright, however are there any problems with Adobe support and upgrades if you reject there rather pricey storage option? Would be grateful for any advice and experiences.

Dave Beasley is off-line
07 July 2015 09:32
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi, I did what you are considering, only I gave up on Aperture a few years back. My advice is just do it. All you need to do is leave all your RAW images where they are, install Lightroom and "ADD" in the Import dialogue, so you are simply telling LR where the various files are.
It will take you a while, but worth the time.

Dave

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
07 July 2015 10:30
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from eosfan
Hi, I did what you are considering, only I gave up on Aperture a few years back. My advice is just do it. All you need to do is leave all your RAW images where they are, install Lightroom and "ADD" in the Import dialogue, so you are simply telling LR where the various files are. It will take you a while, but worth the time. Dave

Thats the hard way and will lose a lot of your settings. Try this.   http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
07 July 2015 11:48
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Thanks for the info guys, been wondering about this myself.
Will aperture no longer function anymore or are they just going to stop doing upgrades does anyone know?
How hard can it be?

07 July 2015 11:55
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I don't use it but there has been plenty about this online. If you have Aperature it will carry on functioning bgut they are no longer supporting it. That means sooner or later there will be a operating system upgrade that will mean it no longer functions. Most of the experts seem to be assuming a couple more years tops.

Dave Beasley is off-line
07 July 2015 15:49
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from redbaron
Thats the hard way and will lose a lot of your settings. Try this.   http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

Hi red baron,
Which settings will be lost? I'm of course no expert in either application but at the moment I don't understand how installing a new application and then referencing the Raw files would lose anything. What is there to lose?
Dave

Matthew G is off-line
07 July 2015 18:03
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I actually still use Aperture a little. It was a great package and probably influenced Lightroom quite a bit. I transferred over a couple of years ago but I still have Aperture installed. I find Aperture much better for making Slide show videos with. Much better music capabilities than the out of the box Lightroom has.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 July 2015 01:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from eosfan
Hi red baron, Which settings will be lost? I'm of course no expert in either application but at the moment I don't understand how installing a new application and then referencing the Raw files would lose anything. What is there to lose? Dave

Both Lightroom and Aperture (among other similar non-destructive editing/browsing packages like Phase 1, Picasa* etc.) rely on a database to store image changes (colour, contrast, brightness etc.) that occur 'on the fly' rather than altering the images themselves (they're effectively using sidecar files). 

The problem with this is that the database files containing these changes will be unique to each application and there's no provision for simply migrating those changes from one program to another.  Aside from the file structures of the databases being different, each of the applications will have different methods/algorithms for processing the images and as such the recorded changes in the databases may well be meaningless in other applications (remember when LR4 introduced its new 'black' algorithm that you could convert to?)

So ultimately, while it's dead easy to simply relink all of your RAW files in the new program, you'll lose any changes & tweaks you've made to your old images in the previous application (and even things like flags such as the star & colour ratings or tags to organise the images).

* - Picasa actually saves little .ini files in each directory iirc but the principle's the same.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

08 July 2015 10:47
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from eosfan
Hi red baron, Which settings will be lost? I'm of course no expert in either application but at the moment I don't understand how installing a new application and then referencing the Raw files would lose anything. What is there to lose? Dave

All the changes and alterations you made to the images using Aperature. As with Lightroom these are not made to the raw file itself. They are generally considered inviolate They are stored either in the Applications own database, as is the default with Lightroom, or as what is termed a sidecar file. Both are unique to the program. Even the way I suggested will lose all the alterations but it does at least save things like keywording and star rating.

The only way I know of that may allow you to keep all changes to the images in a non destructive way would be to convert to DNG then import those. I would try that on an individual image or two first though. I know that is one way to save all your lightroom adjustments and have them available when opening in a different Lightroom catalogue. I just do't know if it works cross platform

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
georgiaiaxo Lilly_69 lynnesel
bob D_H_P duncanjames gkeesuk Jamespaulphotos johntisbury jonnar42 joolsy lify mareeoosh metro Moodie nickdandalos PepperPackshots skeggartphoto stevegosh thelook wacTony westend_portfolios