Liteangle is off-lineSilver Member
23 June 2015 16:55
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

Quote from RedChecker
Many don't like it because you're simply putting extra wear/tear on the batteries for the transfer.

Some cameras also have poor USB implementation and as such are quite slow at transferring files via USB.

Personally I'm not so concerned about wear and tear on batteries, they can be replaced, I'm more concerned about wear and tear on connectors and USB look a lot more fragile than CF connectors so that's an argument for removing the CF card and plugging it into a card reader. Hey ho, trade-offs wherever you look.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 June 2015 02:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It's almost a shame that NFC (Near Field Communication) technology hasn't been more forthcoming.

Sony demonstrated a camera some years ago that you sat on small pad next to your computer (with no direct electrical contacts) and there were induction coils (or something similar) in the camera that provided enough power to transfer the images without using any battery power on the camera, albeit at a slower speed than USB.

Some sort of dock that would do this would, I imagine, be something people would buy especially if it charged the camera at the same time (if needed).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 June 2015 10:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Interestingly an article on Canon Rumors published today has hinted at NFC for the successor to the 6D:

Canon’s Full Frame Future
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

24 June 2015 16:42
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

Interesting, thanks. NFC wouldn't be a feature to interest me, WIFI (already on some models) or Bluetooth for data transfer would be more interesting but only when I feel the need to change my camera for more important reasons - higher ISO/dynamic range, better auto-focusing, better burst speed. I'm sure I'll be happy with my 5DIII for at least another couple of years.

Matthew G is off-line
24 June 2015 18:04
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from Liteangle
Interesting, thanks. NFC wouldn't be a feature to interest me, WIFI (already on some models) or Bluetooth for data transfer would be more interesting but only when I feel the need to change my camera for more important reasons - higher ISO/dynamic range, better auto-focusing, better burst speed. I'm sure I'll be happy with my 5DIII for at least another couple of years.

I use a 5DIII with wifi on it.... Cost around £50. I've talked about it before in the forums so search for it or google 'DSLR controller'. Sorry I have no idea how it got from 1DX to a 5D III with wifi?.... I must have missed a few posts

25 June 2015 03:29
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

Quote from MG
I use a 5DIII with wifi on it.... Cost around £50. I've talked about it before in the forums so search for it or google 'DSLR controller'. Sorry I have no idea how it got from 1DX to a 5D III with wifi?.... I must have missed a few posts

Thanks for the tip.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alphaking_89 Ashleighmckenzie Sophiasmith
alb2243 antoinewynn Beemer2009 criso1 david1500 daygo10 dby47 dhuntuk HarishPadalia Klp mghphoto MIB mike0048 mlp orca_photography Pellium photostevo Reynard smoking_allowed talldave68 theworkshopstudio