Reminder Secure

You spend 30 mins carefully writing a PM, click on SEND...

Stan Taylor is off-line
20 June 2015 12:11
photoprogo
Photographer
photoprogo
Norfolk
Norwich

You spend 30 mins carefully writing a PM, click on SEND and then you're just logged out, click on BACK and your message is gone!

Purestorm logs you out automatically after a certain amount of time, which is very annoying if you are typing a PM when it happens.  There is no clue at all that you've been logged out, until you click on SEND and then your message just disappears and you're left at the log on screen!  Your message is not actually sent, and the back button no longer works so there is no way to get your message back.

I realise that there is a sensible reason to have someone time out if they appear to be inactive, but isn't there some way round this problem?  I tend to copy my entire message into the WIndows clipboard just before I click on SEND, but it would be great not to have to do this.

Has anyone else lost a PM they were typing because Purestorm chucked them out?  Or is it just me?

Otheriwise though, great site!

Moderator Input
Unless there is a server reboot Purestorm will usually not log members out while replying.
However some internet service providers may reassign your IP after a period of inactivity
which can have the same effect as logging out of Purestorm.

Stan Taylor Photoprogo

Chrissie Red is off-line
20 June 2015 12:51
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Might not solve the problem but I find even with sending e-mails or Facebook messages its easier to copy the message before hitting send - just incase something like that happens, especially if I have been typing a lengthy message.

Lets hope it was a one off and doesn't happen regularly.

w4pictures is off-line
20 June 2015 19:39
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Yes, and it's bloody annoying. How hard would it be to have an auto-save every minute or so?

Like you, I have learned to copy before posting.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 June 2015 01:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

This isn't a Purestorm problem, it's an internet problem as servers are designed to time-out on connections that have been dormant for a certain amount of time.

My advice.... if you've got a long message to type, type it in something like a word processor or notepad program first, then copy & paste it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
21 June 2015 05:17
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from RedChecker
This isn't a Purestorm problem, it's an internet problem as servers are designed to time-out on connections that have been dormant for a certain amount of time. My advice.... if you've got a long message to type, type it in something like a word processor or notepad program first, then copy & paste it.

+1  cheeky

HowardJ is off-line
21 June 2015 08:27
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
This isn't a Purestorm problem, it's an internet problem as servers are designed to time-out on connections that have been dormant for a certain amount of time.

But the timeout period is configurable. It really depends on how many live sessions you want to support and how much server side resource each of them consumes.

w4pictures is off-line
21 June 2015 12:52
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from RedChecker
This isn't a Purestorm problem, it's an internet problem as servers are designed to time-out on connections that have been dormant for a certain amount of time. My advice.... if you've got a long message to type, type it in something like a word processor or notepad program first, then copy & paste it.

If its an internet problem, then how about a simple solution? Autosave so that we can log back in and continue.

We're only posting drivel, not buying airline tickets that go up in price every time we log back on so there seems no reason not to.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 June 2015 13:40
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from w4pictures
If its an internet problem, then how about a simple solution? Autosave so that we can log back in and continue.

We're only posting drivel, not buying airline tickets that go up in price every time we log back on so there seems no reason not to.

For a server to constantly log (& backup) what you're typing will put massive strain on it, especially for a small site like this, not to mention things like security issues when it comes to the ability to execute malicious code.  Far better (from an admin & cost point of view) to simply have it submit the message once and if it times out... so be it.

Of course if you use a word processor to compose long messages that may keep backups of your message as you type it (in case of power failure for example).

On very rare occasions you may be able to click 'back' and your message will still be there to subsequently copy & paste into something like notepad until you regain your connection to the site.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

w4pictures is off-line
21 June 2015 17:09
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from RedChecker
For a server to constantly log (& backup) what you're typing will put massive strain on it, especially for a small site like this, not to mention things like security issues when it comes to the ability to execute malicious code.  Far better (from an admin & cost point of view) to simply have it submit the message once and if it times out... so be it.

Of course if you use a word processor to compose long messages that may keep backups of your message as you type it (in case of power failure for example).

On very rare occasions you may be able to click 'back' and your message will still be there to subsequently copy & paste into something like notepad until you regain your connection to the site.

Point taken. I don't see it as a Purestorm problem as it also happens elsewhere. Its curious that it still catches people out in the age of computer savviness but once bitten, its not a mistake one makes again.

Maybe a warning beside the post box....

HowardJ is off-line
21 June 2015 17:22
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from w4pictures
Point taken. I don't see it as a Purestorm problem as it also happens elsewhere. Its curious that it still catches people out in the age of computer savviness but once bitten, its not a mistake one makes again.

Maybe a warning beside the post box....

You need to understand the client-server nature of the web. When you type a message its all held on your web browser (the client), so the server knows nothing about the content of the message you're typing until you hit the submit button when it sends what you've typed to the server to be stored as a PM. There are ways around this using AJAX techniques where the browser could periodically post the contents of your editor window to a scratch pad that forms part of your session. That scratchpad would consume memory on the server and additional programming would be needed to clear the scratch pad when you cancel your post. It would be possible but it adds complexity to the site to handle a relatively rare scenario, so probably not worth it in the long term.

I don't see any security concerns with it though.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray astramore Harleypage maria_dyl SJH30
Cheshunt83 copperbronze david1500 dg_Images Don_Dark donwinslow eosfan Essexjohn freddie H_M_D_P James7799 liteangle MauricesImagery MIB panda49 philippahh photomart rod_m99 Rscott360 stevegosh Studio4 Thunder_Photos tim_oh842 Wtphotos