Reminder Secure

Not asked for a portfolio review in a while so let's see where we are now.

Colin Pierce is off-line
17 June 2015 07:16
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

As it states in title, it has been a long time since I have asked for a portfolio review. Would be interested to see what everyone's opinion is, good or bad.

marlham is off-line
17 June 2015 16:39
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

The one you've categorised as artistic nude strikes me as a bit macabre.

Not sure your forum avatar does you any favours.

Something odd about the blurred text on the easyjet tail compared to the sharp text on the body. I'm sure Wendy Louise would have preferred a classier airline too!

Heavy shadow bottom left jars the composition of the first FAN IMO. Legs look awkwardly crossed too as if the model was trying to prevent you from seeing more than she was comfortable with.

The yellow toned Misha and the Misha triptych look a bit average/mundane/uninteresting to me - I'd replace them if I were you.

Your main just makes my eyes go funny and the model's tummy isn't exactly flattering. Not sure what the item is on the floor - a handkerchief perhaps? Is that supposed to tell me she's been crying or something?

Hope that helps a bit.

17 June 2015 19:15
Dasvidanias
Model

I actually love your images colin, they are really intriguing. Im a fine art student, and the images your producing are always the ones that I tend to spend the most time researching and admiring. I specifically love the images featuring Mischa and Zombie Candy.

However, this

http://www.purestorm.com/view-image.aspx?i=1515086&u=ColinPierce

is possibly my favorite. I absoloutely love the lighting, body features are emphasised, and i love that every little imperfection is shown, raw, and absoloutely spot on.

Profile Pictures is off-line
17 June 2015 20:16
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Generally I Like what you do when it's not too anatomical. I question your focus sometimes, though composition is interesting occasionally and you have some story telling ability.

I'd be interested what you might do if faced with a clothed model, or the great outdoors more often.

Colin Pierce is off-line
18 June 2015 10:49
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

Quote from Dasvidanias
I actually love your images colin, they are really intriguing. Im a fine art student, and the images your producing are always the ones that I tend to spend the most time researching and admiring. I specifically love the images featuring Mischa and Zombie Candy.

However, this

http://www.purestorm.com/view-image.aspx?i=1515086&u=ColinPierce

is possibly my favorite. I absoloutely love the lighting, body features are emphasised, and i love that every little imperfection is shown, raw, and absoloutely spot on.

Awe thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. I do tend to the more fine art nude as to pure glamour or just simply showing naked women. I like to find a context or concept for most things I do. DOes not always work however.

Colin Pierce is off-line
18 June 2015 10:54
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

Quote from profilepictures
Generally I Like what you do when it's not too anatomical. I question your focus sometimes, though composition is interesting occasionally and you have some story telling ability.

I'd be interested what you might do if faced with a clothed model, or the great outdoors more often.

Thank you for you comments, they are valued and appreciated. I have done some clothed work in the past. However, if you knew me, then you would understand I don't have a great empathy for fashion. I have even been known to wear the odd checked shirt in my time. I also do landscapes but this is not the place for them really. I have included a coiple below though.

Colin Pierce is off-line
18 June 2015 11:29
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

Quote from marlhamphoto
The one you've categorised as artistic nude strikes me as a bit macabre.

Not sure your forum avatar does you any favours.

Something odd about the blurred text on the easyjet tail compared to the sharp text on the body. I'm sure Wendy Louise would have preferred a classier airline too!

Heavy shadow bottom left jars the composition of the first FAN IMO. Legs look awkwardly crossed too as if the model was trying to prevent you from seeing more than she was comfortable with.

The yellow toned Misha and the Misha triptych look a bit average/mundane/uninteresting to me - I'd replace them if I were you.

Your main just makes my eyes go funny and the model's tummy isn't exactly flattering. Not sure what the item is on the floor - a handkerchief perhaps? Is that supposed to tell me she's been crying or something?

Hope that helps a bit.

Where to start with this comment. I suppose firstly by at least thanking you for taking the time or for being at least moved by my images to be so forthright.

I shall start my response with the comment about my avatar on the forum. I do not take a great image of myself but thought it would be useful to at least allow people to see who they are talking to. If we are comparing to what, I assume is an image of yourself, well not all of us can be a meat head who looks more at home in the gang scene than photography.

As for your first comment on an actual image rather just myself? Macabre? Did you not ask yourself if that was the intent. Art is meant to be thought provoking and at least have some context or concept behind it. Yes, indeed it is macabre as was my intention. Symbolism plays a great roll in art and the significance of lilies on the naked belly of a woman should be clear.

The airport shot. Well if you knew Liverpool airport then you would know that actually it does not have any "classy" airlines flying from it. The blurred detail, I think we will return to your eye sight later.

Not sure what you mean by the heavy shadow jarring the composition or the crossed legs, perhaps you just don't completely understand what composition is.

The toned and triptych image, well you are entitled to your opinion and I will respect your thoughts on those.

Now finally the main image. Again this relates to ART being conceptual and having context. I mentioned your eyesight earlier. At what point would it possibly be a handkerchief? What would that mean in an image or could it actually be an item of ladies underwear (which thinking on it, if you had, would make more sense). Selective focus may not be you bag but then art does not seem to be your bag at all. Not every one wishes to produce the same mediocre images you can see thousands of times on here. You know the ones, woman lying on a bed with finger in her mouth, woman lying on a couch with a dreamy look, woman with guitar between her legs, or perhaps standing in front of a mirror. All done numerous times and getting rather trite.

If someone takes the time to review my portfolio and then bother to write a comment I only think it fair to at least look at them a little more closely. You seem to do a lot of portfolio reviews and not one of them I can see has a single positive comment. This can say one of a number of things. Either you are the most fantastic photographer in the world and we should all value highly your NON constructive criticism or you simply do not have sufficient mental capacity to grasp the finer points of artistic endeavour. I shall be polite and let others decide which is the case.

18 June 2015 14:32
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from ColinPierce

Where to start with this comment. I suppose firstly by at least thanking you for taking the time or for being at least moved by my images to be so forthright.

I shall start my response with the comment about my avatar on the forum. I do not take a great image of myself but thought it would be useful to at least allow people to see who they are talking to. If we are comparing to what, I assume is an image of yourself, well not all of us can be a meat head who looks more at home in the gang scene than photography.

As for your first comment on an actual image rather just myself? Macabre? Did you not ask yourself if that was the intent. Art is meant to be thought provoking and at least have some context or concept behind it. Yes, indeed it is macabre as was my intention. Symbolism plays a great roll in art and the significance of lilies on the naked belly of a woman should be clear.

The airport shot. Well if you knew Liverpool airport then you would know that actually it does not have any "classy" airlines flying from it. The blurred detail, I think we will return to your eye sight later.

Not sure what you mean by the heavy shadow jarring the composition or the crossed legs, perhaps you just don't completely understand what composition is.

The toned and triptych image, well you are entitled to your opinion and I will respect your thoughts on those.

Now finally the main image. Again this relates to ART being conceptual and having context. I mentioned your eyesight earlier. At what point would it possibly be a handkerchief? What would that mean in an image or could it actually be an item of ladies underwear (which thinking on it, if you had, would make more sense). Selective focus may not be you bag but then art does not seem to be your bag at all. Not every one wishes to produce the same mediocre images you can see thousands of times on here. You know the ones, woman lying on a bed with finger in her mouth, woman lying on a couch with a dreamy look, woman with guitar between her legs, or perhaps standing in front of a mirror. All done numerous times and getting rather trite.

If someone takes the time to review my portfolio and then bother to write a comment I only think it fair to at least look at them a little more closely. You seem to do a lot of portfolio reviews and not one of them I can see has a single positive comment. This can say one of a number of things. Either you are the most fantastic photographer in the world and we should all value highly your NON constructive criticism or you simply do not have sufficient mental capacity to grasp the finer points of artistic endeavour. I shall be polite and let others decide which is the case.

marlham is off-line
18 June 2015 15:26
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Hmmm, well for the record I didn't think your work was too bad. And I thought you'd know enough about what you were doing to appreciate the sentiment behind the brief feedback I gave without me needing to labour too much in explaining it.

But since you're an artist, and I'm not, I don't think there's much point me elaborating on my feedback any further as I doubt we'd understand each other.

Good luck though

Colin Pierce is off-line
18 June 2015 15:36
ColinPierce
Photographer
ColinPierce
Merseyside
Bootle

Quote from marlhamphoto
Hmmm, well for the record I didn't think your work was too bad. And I thought you'd know enough about what you were doing to appreciate the sentiment behind the brief feedback I gave without me needing to labour too much in explaining it.

But since you're an artist, and I'm not, I don't think there's much point me elaborating on my feedback any further as I doubt we'd understand each other.

Good luck though

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin jensomerfield SofeSamM
bbphotos Dod1904 donaldmac dorrian Essexjohn Flanders iestyn kimphot mauricesimagery mish65 Photojames43 redbaron Rhadamanthus Slickphotos wnynm
Matt