Reminder Secure

Time lapse video

Simon Chan is off-line
08 June 2015 10:29
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

You probably come across time lapse footage in promotional videos and there is plenty about being shot on phone cams but is there a market for good quality ones?
They can be time consuming and if you shoot landscape it is down to the element which means you can go on for days if not weeks to capture the right condition.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
08 June 2015 11:11
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

Why not shoot time lapse using a GoPro Hero 4 Black? 4K video and simultaneous 12MB stills are possible. If you provide it with an external USB power supply it can take 9000+ still images at various preset intervals to a 64GB microSD card. You can even have it WiFi connect to your phone, computer or iPad etc. for remote control if you need to put it in an inaccessible place.

I have just bought one to 'play' with and it is an excellent camera even though it only has a fixed wide-angle lens.
www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Simon Chan is off-line
08 June 2015 11:33
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Is there the market for high quality time lapse? Not asking about how to take time lapse and what to use.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
08 June 2015 11:54
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

You said "time lapse footage in promotional videos" ..... you answered you own question...

www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Simon Chan is off-line
08 June 2015 12:15
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I said "is there a market for good quality ones?" which means do clients buy time lapse footage on its own?
I know about them being used to form part of promotional videos, that is the people making the video also created the time lapse. I have not yet come across filmmakers who make promo videos actively seek to purchase time lapse footages, so this and amongst others I want to ask.

Is good quality time lapse exclusively a recreational hobby or is there are a market?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 June 2015 12:28
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Why not make some, put them on the likes of YouTube & Vimeo & use the power of social media to see if they sell.

I'd imagine there's certainly a market for high profile construction jobs (eg. stadiums)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Profile Pictures is off-line
09 June 2015 04:26
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

There's a market insofar as it's a common technique in many adverts and documentaries etc. As pointed out, it's relativrlt easy to achieve now too. The issue would be being able to produce something relevant or entertaining in a cost effective way that's marketed to appear relevant or profitable to your client - like video or stills really. My guess is that the technique is probably best as a hobby unless you're a video or documentary maker already. If not, yuod have to make some very specific footage to impress a prospective client and prove its pertinence to their business etc - after all, we've all seen the general technique thousands of times.

G Jack B is off-line
09 June 2015 11:18
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

The key is being able to produce them within specific scenarios.
With the need for power and H&S requirements on sites it is not easy without a willing client.

As an aside I also found an issue with HEROs over heating when externally powered and operating behind glass etc.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Razoir is off-line
11 June 2015 14:00
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from AegeanSoft
You said "time lapse footage in promotional videos" ..... you answered you own question...

How? The OP asked a question. You chose to ignor that question and make an unnecessary and subtly snide comment. Seems a bit odd to me.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Simon Chan is off-line
16 June 2015 00:18
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

The past few days I actually found a paid stock video website that consist of a few time lapse so I guess there is some kind of a market but still I'm hesitance to say if that is economically viable enough at least for generic ones. I've not heard many if any clients specifically ask for time lapse either no matter how much they might be vowed by really good ones. I guess time lapse is still considered mostly as a piece of artistic work.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Jessicaliu1993 natpenelope Natural_happy_girl SuzyMonty
antoinewynn bayford dby47 Don_Dark edwards ImageStyle mlp PhilStorm pvfb scott24 smphotographic Steveh32 stuartnoo Thunder_Photos totalpics TROY4
harbourstudio