Reminder Secure

Can your online images be used for profit without your permission?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Anthonygh is off-line
03 June 2015 02:24
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Interesting report on BBC website...the answer to the title question seems to be yes! In the USA anyway.......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32965494

Preswylfa is off-line
03 June 2015 04:01
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

Yet there are still many people that consider the adding of a copyright mark on an image as detrimental, but it at least (however futile) attempts to assert ownership.
Mike.

Aegean is off-lineSilver Member
03 June 2015 06:07
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
London

It seems he used to take and 're-purpose' images from large corporations, and got hammered by their lawyers and so now the slimeball steals images from kids online accounts and from people without the resources to sue him. If he had stolen images registered by a photographer with the US Library of Congress he would be liable for a mandatory $100,000 award against him for each image. One can only hope he slips up soon!

www.aegeansoft.com Adult and fetish web site designers photographers and video producers

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 June 2015 06:11
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from AegeanSoft
so now the slimeball steals images from kids online accounts and from people without the resources to sue him.

^ this.  He's simply making use of people's lack of ability or means to assert their rights.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chrissie Red is off-line
03 June 2015 11:28
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

If I had loads of money to spunk of some prints I would probably go to his exhibition and then contact the original creators directly and offer them a decent sum of money.

No idea why this individual has been allowed to get away with this, I hope all those who's images have been stole/sold on join together and sue that Chrissie_Red is a naughty person er - for every ill gotten dime he has made off the backs of other people..

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
03 June 2015 12:12
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from anthonyh
Can your online images be used for profit without your permission?

Of course they can. It happens all the time. Anybody with a computer, a modicum of intelligence and no principles can steal anybody's images to profit from them.

When Tim Berners-Lee invented the www and then allowed everyone in the 'free' world pretty much unfettered access to it he unwittingly created a thieves' charter which many are more than happy to exploit. Throw into the mix those 'artists' who believe all ownership is theft and demand the 'right' to reappropriate stuff that belongs to others and you have a recipe for chaos.

Of course if you add a copyright watermark to your work and also have enough money to pay a good legal team to chase up image thieves, or if you are the sort of person that can convince the light-fingered or those who think everything in this world is or should be free to use that it would really not be a good idea to nick your work, so-called 'appropriation artists' like the parasite Richard Prince will continue to do what they do. Unfortunately there are a lot of parasites like him out there and these days t'internet just makes things easy for them.

Bob

Derek Rowlands is off-line
03 June 2015 17:09
Dirkus
Photographer

Clwyd

Greetings

Yea, I think the only way to avoid your photos being nicked is not to publish them on the net, I have very little in the way of photos on the net any where for that reason, ha, not that there worth nicking anyway, and so if you have a 'saleable' photo, then its best kept under wraps till supplied to the buyer............even after that it may still get nicked off them !!!!!!

Have fun

fitnude is off-line
06 June 2015 12:18
actiongirl
Model

London

phrased in a different way...can images of YOU be used online for profit without your permission? The answer to this one is yes, cos quite by chance i was looking at a website of a well known magazine and found a picture of myself commercially advertising it! It was a corporate event, photographer must have sneaked up on me from behind l.o.l. I guess this answer doesnt answer your exact question, but just proves how easy it is to go "click" with a standard camera and use it for a national advert. Stolen images is another entirely different thing, terrible and i feel really sorry for those it happens to. commercial lawyers offices always very busy...

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AriaRosee Exoticangel Leslegylegs Natalie120525 Winterlilly
brendan claypaws cliffc Den2018 diphoto Djanimation ellessephotography Jskazza Kiboko Ladiesman mauricesimagery peterh Rscott360 stevegosh
harbourstudio
matt