Best compact for live music?

Chris is off-line
27 May 2015 22:38
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

I can't be bothered with all that Steve. I have read the terms on a few venue's websites, and they require generally that you are working for a publication etc. I much rather go as a night out, try and get a few good images while I am there, and hopefully be able to sell a few as time goes by. I think I will order a camera next week. I keep looking at various videos on youtube, the 4k video is what I am looking forward to the most, and fitting it in my pocket.

I don't know if anyone will point me to a better camera in the next few days, but thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
28 May 2015 15:37
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Are you looking to get video/sound too?

I've got a fairly cheap Sony P&S (hx20) - and bought after a fair amount of research, on the basis that Sony's anti shake on their P&S range was better than the competition. They also have a really great 'low microphone gain' mode that really turns the mic down and gives you undistorted audio even with gig volumes.

I'm sure others do the anti-shake pretty well now, but do check that you can dial the audio level down on the Panasonic if you want to avoid overloaded sound.

Chris is off-line
29 May 2015 11:05
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Andy_B
Are you looking to get video/sound too? I've got a fairly cheap Sony P&S (hx20) - and bought after a fair amount of research, on the basis that Sony's anti shake on their P&S range was better than the competition. They also have a really great 'low microphone gain' mode that really turns the mic down and gives you undistorted audio even with gig volumes. I'm sure others do the anti-shake pretty well now, but do check that you can dial the audio level down on the Panasonic if you want to avoid overloaded sound.

Thanks for that Andy. cheeky
I have been watching videos on youtube for the last hour or so, of the hx20. It's a good little camera, with an amazing zoom, but I'm looking for a camera closer to pro quality. I am so impressed with the videos I've seen of the Panasonic that I am most certainly going to buy one in few days. Yes the Panasonic does have sound record level, and a very nice anti shake. But the zoom and focus looks very smooth, from what I've seen. The lens sharpness also is impressive. I am using it mainly for stills, but the 4k video is going to be great. I am going to a gig next Friday and will test it out. Buy it Monday, test it Friday, all great fun! 

It's my birthday next week, so this is my birthday present to myself. surprise

Steve Walsh is off-line
29 May 2015 11:23
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Good luck, and I hope whatever you get works well for you......happy birthday in advance!

Chris is off-line
29 May 2015 11:34
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from swalsh58
Good luck, and I hope whatever you get works well for you......happy birthday in advance!

Cheers. smiley

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AnnThompson chosin Frankirae hanmoda2
AaronKent geoffmarchant iestyn jonathantennant keltica mlp philippahh Puremoods skymouse stevegosh