Think it's time to call it a day

Sidekick Photo is off-line
23 May 2015 05:05
swyftie
Photographer
swyftie
Birmingham
Solihull

I've really enjoyed photography for many years now and have enjoyed working with models, MUA's and fellow photographers.
A few years ago I became disillusioned with the photography world after being screwed over by a few 'professionals' which ultimately left me studio-less and without regular clients.

So here I am now, a few years later and have found myself in a position where I've had to relocate and find a new job that leaves me much less time to shoot/edit.
I have also noticed a huge decline in the numbers of people wanting to work with me.

I reckon it may be time for me to sell off my gear and call it a day but was wondering what you guys think? Maybe you've been here too and got through it? Any advice?
Sometimes I just don't know who I am

KT101 is off-line
23 May 2015 06:59
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Hertfordshire
Borehamwood

I would say that if photography is your passion, stick at it.
Even if you use it as a hobby and rebuild it's worth a chance.
Selling off all your gear will leave you with nothing.
You have some interesting shots on your port so there is always the chance of tf with some models.
I seem to be working all the hours god sends but still check out the tf casting and occasionally get one to do which keeps me in the game.
Even if it's one a year you will enjoy it more.
Maybe you won't make any money out of it but as I said, if you have a passion, keep the gear and carry on.
Ultimately the decision is yours but think long and hard about it.
What do I know about photography..... I'm a mechanic/milkman/driver/dogsbody. etc. etc. etc.

Qu is off-line
23 May 2015 15:41
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
London
London

Yes i agree with kt101 on every points, sell all your camera gear and you are left with nothing.
Don't let others kill your passion, we all have some high and low so keep your chin up and find a way.
Photography is not yet a full time job but it really keeps me going. I sometimes only shoot for an hour and gosh it feels good, no matter what i shoot and how bad it goes. If you have nothing left you might just become an empty soul.
Hope all will go well for you soon.

raw and the cooked is off-line
23 May 2015 17:15
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Keep shooting! I think we have all felt like quitting at some point!

Sidekick Photo is off-line
24 May 2015 07:00
swyftie
Photographer
swyftie
Birmingham
Solihull

Thanks for the replies.
I've definitely got to think this through some more.
May possibly sell off some of my gear but hang onto the essentials until I know exactly which way to go.
Sometimes I just don't know who I am

Steve Walsh is off-line
24 May 2015 08:38
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Why don't you just take photographs because that's what you enjoy doing? Forget about it as a job if you want to, but do it because you like it, not because you have to. Pointless selling off anything if your still taking pictures, and you don't have to take images of models alone you know, there is a big wide world out there with lots of photographic opportunities. Im coming to the end of my 'photographing models' life, but there is so much more to photography than models!

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
24 May 2015 15:12
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Don't go half and half. Don't get rid of your gear yet either. Pack all the gear away in a box, tape it up solid and put it away with do not open until a date in 6 months time. Then turn off all notifications on the model sites.Even better put something like cold turkey on your browser to stop you visiting them.

If you come across the box some time next year having forgotten about it then yes, perhaps there are other things in life and its time to move on.

Meantime we will organise a sweepstake on which day you will snap and log back in.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Gregory Mason is off-line
24 May 2015 16:06
Gregory_Mason
Photographer
Gregory_Mason
West Midlands
Birmingham

I would hang onto your equipment, take a short break I am certain that you will get the urge to start shooting again.

25 May 2015 11:16
Catuaba
Photographer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkkpZCGkzWs

Can I get a helllllllllloooooooooooooooo there.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
25 May 2015 13:29
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Don't let others get you down, Your portfolio on here is great, Selling your gear will not really achieve anything but to show the bad guys they beat you.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AprilLee Lusciousabi29 stevepm
admiralphotography android_man antoinewynn bernadinism clarmike cliffc Dandelion david1500 dby47 glamorphotos JohnDentonPhoto keltica laurencejpower MAMAMIYA MIB pb_photography siclews steveh32 tms westend_portfolios