Chrissie Red is off-line
14 May 2015 12:34
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Ok - heres the backstory..

A person was found to have a portfolio half of which were nicked images - all landscapes but the person/photographer put their own watermark over them and edited them (all local landscapes by local photographers). When confronted by the original photographers the person/photographer didn't seem to understand why there was an issue, their attitude was very much a "well I'm a student/still learning... screw all of you".

The person isn't a niave 18 year old, they are well into their 40's and claimed to have experience in photography. This was a couple of years ago.

Now heres the question, this person seems to have infiltrated a small social circle I am in with other local creatives and I struggle to speak to them, Infact if It was up to me this person wouldn't be at all welcome - A theif with no regret after being exposed is not somebody I want to associate with. I don't know if I can hold my tongue if they attempt to try and start a conversation up with me.

Would you be able to keep your mouth shut if you were in a room with somebody who stole other photographers images and acted like a dick when found out?

A few of the other people are able to speak to this person with the knowledge of what they have done.. Am I being too harsh? 

Gerry is off-line
14 May 2015 13:36
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I would say something to others in the group and if they didn't want to know, it would also change my view of the group itself
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

CGW is off-line
14 May 2015 17:02
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Just ask him casually "so, [insert name], are you using your own images these days?" - That should break the ice

Chrissie Red is off-line
14 May 2015 17:36
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

haha CG thats the type of thing I would say..

"Ohh your that photographer who nicked peoples images a few years ago yeah?" It's just waiting for her to say "Hi I'm so and so" so that I get the opportunity to come out with it..

14 May 2015 22:32
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red
just waiting for her to say.

Ah, had the feeling the photographer was female because of the way you referred to her as the person, them, their etc. in your op. I'm guessing if it was a male photographer you'd have referred to him as he, him etc. as most photographers are male, so therefore less identifiable if talking about one in reference to a particular incident, such as the one you describe. But to answer the question of this thread, yes, I think I'd be inclined to say something along the lines you mention if/when the opportunity arose.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 May 2015 01:25
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I would
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Hugh Spence is off-line
15 May 2015 02:25
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

I'd ask if they had achieved red list status from FIAP yet.  Such photographers are banned from any FIAP or PAGB sponsored competitions.

Oscars Photostudio is off-line
15 May 2015 02:56
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Cheshire
Nr Warrington

Quote from cgwebster
Just ask him casually "so, [insert name], are you using your own images these days?" - That should break the ice

When with several of the group just say to her ' I was admiring an image in your portfolio and noticed that 'photographer' had a copy in their portfolio. See what answer is given.

Chris Dee is off-line
15 May 2015 03:00
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Quote from Chrissie_Red
Ok - heres the backstory..

A person was found to have a portfolio half of which were nicked images - all landscapes but the person/photographer put their own watermark over them and edited them (all local landscapes by local photographers). When confronted by the original photographers the person/photographer didn't seem to understand why there was an issue, their attitude was very much a "well I'm a student/still learning... screw all of you".

The person isn't a niave 18 year old, they are well into their 40's and claimed to have experience in photography. This was a couple of years ago.

Now heres the question, this person seems to have infiltrated a small social circle I am in with other local creatives and I struggle to speak to them, Infact if It was up to me this person wouldn't be at all welcome - A theif with no regret after being exposed is not somebody I want to associate with. I don't know if I can hold my tongue if they attempt to try and start a conversation up with me.

Would you be able to keep your mouth shut if you were in a room with somebody who stole other photographers images and acted like a dick when found out?

A few of the other people are able to speak to this person with the knowledge of what they have done.. Am I being too harsh? 

Based on what you state this clearly is a breach of UK copyright law. No photographer worth their salt would behave like this and if they claimed to have experience in photography then that says a lot about them and their attitude in general as a photographer, moreover how little respect they have for fellow photographers and their copyrighted work.

As for your question "Would you be able to keep your mouth shut if you were in a room with somebody who stole other photographers images and acted like a dick when found out?"  .... No I would not remain silent.

In my opinion you are not being too harsh.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 May 2015 03:06
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from StNeots
I'd ask if they had achieved red list status from FIAP yet.  Such photographers are banned from any FIAP or PAGB sponsored competitions.

That's assuming they even enter competitions.  I don't see the point in them personally.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Claretberet danixhale ElleLaura Emmaheron Genevil hazel_rose LucasJacques missloulou
ad360photo antoinewynn Auctioneer frank4 GSC4X guitarman Ladiesman mghphoto MIB peterh rscott360 Snooper911 Steveh32 xposed