Rotated images

Liteangle is off-lineSilver Member
03 May 2015 05:40
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
Berkshire
Wokingham

As I have already explained it is probably because Windows 8 is not recognising the desired orientation of the image because their is nothing in the image file to tell it. You need to run all images through photographic software, e.g. Photoshop, to embed the orientation data into the image file, then it will, most likely, display correctly on any machine.

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
03 May 2015 06:14
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

It may be that windows 8 automatically rotates the image for viewing without altering the file. Try using same method you do in win7, but make a note of the image orientation and correct accordingly.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
03 May 2015 07:54
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Windows 8 does what was probably the only good thing about Vista and rotates all images to their correct way. Win 7 didn't as far as I remember. Doesn't sort your query out all I know is I uploaded an image on here yesterday in portrait mode without any problem using Win8.1.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
03 May 2015 08:17
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from flashysnapper
It may be that windows 8 automatically rotates the image for viewing without altering the file. Try using same method you do in win7, but make a note of the image orientation and correct accordingly.

Not automatically rotated done manually, When opened again is the way I want it, But when trying to post they revert to landscape, Done as far as possible the same way as in windows 7 All other pics are as shot, ie, appear in landscape mode but most need to be in portrait. Could be that windows 8 shows in portrait as I rotated it to view but keeps file as shot. I have tried rotating 180 degrees to try to con it into only turning 90 degree so it is the way I want it but it still posts as shot, You might be right about Window 8 keeping file as shot just seems strange not to do as Windows 7 does.

03 May 2015 08:49
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Wondering if switching auto-rotate on camera off might help, This then might let windows 8 rotate them the correct way round? might have a play later.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
03 May 2015 09:28
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

The function to rotate pics automatically is not in Win7. It became a major issue for the 7 users including me. Including me

03 May 2015 09:51
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Think I have sorted it, Got cameras set up to rotate to landscape when viewed on screen, just done a couple of tests and windows 8 does seem to save to correct orientation ie auto rotate,(not as viewed on camera) displays if rotated but doesn't change file. hope you understand what I mean I think I know but not absolutely! Camera now shows on screen the way photo was taken. Will try with other body might be a bunny now, Yes sorted it was all my fault, Was way I had camera set up.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
10 May 2015 02:50
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Wonderful thread. Well done all who contributed.

David Hunt is off-line
10 May 2015 06:28
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

I regularly experience the same problem.

I set the camera to display the images at the right orientation. But, that is just the display on the back of the camera. And, just that.

But, when I load the RAW images onto my computer they need rotating. And, if I convert them straight to jpeg from the RAW images, they will need rotating again.

So, if an image rotates after I have uploaded, I go into Windows explorer and open the image and rotate it again and re-upload.

It is a royal pain in the bum...

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin
cliffc Dphphotography FirstLifePhotography iestyn john_at_tina_spice JohnDentonPhoto Pictureimage redtail Steveh32 woody zzdigital