Video advice needed

Simon Chan is off-line
08 May 2015 14:15
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from LaurenceJPower
Have you considered Blackmagic units? there are 5 cameras all are HD and some 4K, with these units you get a largish sensor thus limited depth of field, focus peaking, the list goes on.

They have their quirks. QC is a bit of a gamble. Their cameras are best described as half finished control environment cams. If I knew what I was buying into I might not have bothered. End up spending thousands on Mac upgrade, mass storage, audio facility, UHD monitor, camera rigs, matte box IRND filters, external video recorder, etc. Researching on forums on what to buy and what to avoid virtually became a full time affair. I refuse to recommend it to anyone unless they want to start a production company with a crew, time and financial means. If I were to start now it would be the Canon C100 and save myself a fortune.

GR Photography is off-line
04 August 2015 09:41
GRPhotography
Photographer
GRPhotography
Berkshire

Depends on your budget ,

but if you want proper high quality video for the least amount of money then this is the best thing you will get value for money wise

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7s future proof and shoots 4K to an external drive too , or full HD to a Card

low light is next level and for this sort of quality you would normally have to go with a lot higher budget

Try Harder - Failure is not an option

Martin Kay is off-line
04 August 2015 12:42
nvidia
Photographer
nvidia
Greater Manchester
Salford

The XA20 is a perfectly good basic video camera. I've just edited a wedding video for a DOP friend who shot it with that camera, and there were some lovely portraiture shots in it. In fact, for shooting people talking to camera (as the OP said he would be doing), you can get an acceptable picture out of all sorts of cameras, from a mobile phone upwards. What makes a good shot, in my opinion, is as much down to good composition, good lighting, and good sound (as long as you can use your particular camera in a competent way).

Chris is off-line
04 August 2015 17:21
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

If I may give just one tad of advice, use YouTube to see the quality of anything you are particularly interested in buying. I generally find that no matter what product I am interested in buying, there are people showing samples and giving reviews. They usually let you know the negatives and positives of what ever product you may want to buy.

Just search those cameras you mentioned, and see what comes up on Youtube. I tend to find this works for me, and I always end up buying what's right for me. Give it a try, have a look.

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
FirstLifePhotography john_at_tina_spice oldbloke paul341 photofrank Redbaron redtail Sp_digital tazzzeee timwalton42