Reminder Secure

Video advice needed

David Price is off-line
29 April 2015 08:35
DP_Photography
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I am currently pricing up different cameras to create video for projects in work however I have different people giving me different views on cameras to buy. We don't need anything to high spec so I was looking at the Canon 70D but some people are saying that we should go for a dedicated camcorder, so I have also been looking at the Canon LEGRIA HF G30. Although the Canon XA10 is a possibility as well.

I have friends who produce professional video and they all use DSLR's and swear by them, but I'm wondering if they just use them due to cost. Does anyone have any experience of either they wouldnt mind sharing.

Thanks, Dave

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
29 April 2015 11:54
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Not my expertise but I would think you need to start by establishing what it is you need to shoot. How long? What resolution? Is this simple static stuff with camera on tripod pointed at talking head, action photos natural light studio lighting, knowledge of those using the camera? Any one of those could determin what you need to go for.

Owning a 5DII and DIII though I'm sceptical that an SLR will prove the best choice. No question the quality of the video in the right hands is stunning but there lies the catch. The right hands and teamed up to the right gear. A few thoughts immediatly spring to mind having just started to play with the video on mine for a project.
  • SLR's only shoot for 15 minutes at a time. I believe you have the jolly EU to thank for this.
  • Full HD resolution generates huge files and you will need a serious beast plenty of hard disk and some beefy software to edit things
  • Focus in a lot more fussy on full framed SLR and nothing like as easy to carry out as it is with a dedicated digital camcorder
  • Dedicated recorders tend to have extra features that make things simpler, if at the expense of some high end quality
  • The fixed viewing screen on an SLR can be a pain shooting from very high or low postions
  • You will probably need seperate sound recording facilities as the on camera one is prone to pick up camera noise such as focus motors
Hopefully that will at least put your topic at the top again. I know there are others on here with a lot more experience in this area who I am sure will give more concrete advice
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
29 April 2015 12:24
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from redbaron
SLR's only shoot for 15 minutes at a time. I believe you have the jolly EU to thank for this.

No, it's 29 minutes.

HowardJ is off-line
29 April 2015 12:29
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

It depends what you're trying to shoot e.g. slow or fast moving objects, whether good audio is important, etc. I believe SLRs tend to struggle with recording fast moving objects such as cars.

It's a case of horses for courses and what your budget is.

You could always buy a Canon C300 and have the best of both worlds.

David Price is off-line
29 April 2015 13:48
DP_Photography
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Thanks for the replies.

A lot of the video will be tripod based just recording someone talking into it, however at times it will be used for some motion recording, just walking around showing things, nothing fast paced. I do how plan to borrow it at times for shoots, but again nothing to intensive. We already have all the kit for recording audio but good on camera (or hot shoe attached) would be a benefit.

I cant see a lot of the videos being more than 10-15mins but that's after editing. We are leaning more towards the Canon XA20 now as I have had budget approval for it. I was given £4k to play with but don't want to be cheeky, plus we don't need anything that high end.

HowardJ is off-line
29 April 2015 14:03
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I think it depends on whether you want the film look that a DSLR can deliver. DSLRs also handle low light situations better.

A camcorder will probably be easier to use, but it will give a fairly standard camcorder look unless you go for an expensive one that has a big sensor and can handle lenses e.g.the C100 through C500 range. I think a C100 without a lens is around £3500. Note: there are two versions of the C100 (mk I and a mk II). The mk Is are going cheap at the moment at around £2400 then you'll need lenses on top.

XLR audio connection and separate mic(s) is probably where you want to go from an audio perspective. You can get separate kit that will give you XLR connections for feeding into a DSLR.

You'll find lots of x camera vs y camera/camcorder style videos on YouTube which might help in your decision process.

You may also want to think about workflow for editing and how you plan to backup/archive your footage.

ChrisS is off-line
30 April 2015 17:27
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

I think a lot of your decision depends on the type of filming you intend to do... What sort of project are you working on? How much video work have you done?

ChrisS is off-line
30 April 2015 17:27
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

I think a lot of your decision depends on the type of filming you intend to do... What sort of project are you working on? How much video work have you done?

w4pictures is off-line
30 April 2015 19:05
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

The camera choice is staggering at the moment and is the easiest part. However, unless you budget is unlimited, forget formats and cameras until you have looked at the edit. This is what you shoot for.

Check transfer times, formats, codecs and workflow. Preferably hire the camera you like and edit some material in anger.

If you are looking for even vaguely professional sound, forget DSLRs and look at a camcorder with at least P48 powering, manual gain and a monitor circuit that sounds sweet rather than w4pictures is a naughty person e. If you use a DSLR, use a separate sound recorder and sync up in the edit and that's a process you really should try before you buy.

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
02 May 2015 13:40
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Having used both systems have to say the video camera is a better choice when shooting video. Have been using the Canon XF305 for most work until the XA20 came along which is so much easier to use. Much lighter, smaller, easier to handle and better low light quality. The lenses on both these cameras is simply outstanding - if they sold them for dslr you would not need another. Great IS and AF as well.

The video cameras have great viewing units, sound capture and recording times. With a dslr you need to add these to the must haves to get some decent results, especially in bright sunlight and focusing can also be problematic.

Have to say that GoPro is a great camera (Hero 3+) if you need to work in very tight spaces etc.

Just my 2p worth.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
johndentonphoto Platidonio