Reminder Secure

Metz TTL flashguns with Canon 6D (or 1Dx)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 April 2015 03:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Anyone used a Metz TTL flash gun with either the 6D or 1Dx and were there any problems with TTL?  (It really does have to be one of these two cameras)

I'm currently looking at one of these as it's small enough to squish into my bag without taking up too much room and would make a nice travel flash (my 550EX guns are far too big & bulky for taking on holiday)

I know there's the Canon 270EX (or the 90EX) that are equally as compact but they're also twice the cost for something that'll be so rarely used.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Matthew G is off-line
10 April 2015 18:11
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Yep, I have a Metz 54 MZ4. You have to get the TTL head (Cant remember what they are called) re-programmed by Metz for them to work in TTL mode. I think it was around £60 from memory so I've never bothered. I use flash so little that I just use it on manual flash or auto for the most part. I think It;s ETTL2 from memory but could be wrong. I rang metz up in the UK and they advised me on it. It was a while ago so my brain is a little rusty but that is the general answer for you... By the way, I have a 6D and a 5d III so I'm pretty sure the 1Dx has the same identical hot shoe.

Its the SCA 3102  and then it has a sticker on it.... Possibly M5 is the 6D version? Its possible to upgrade an version from 2 I was told

Matthew G is off-line
10 April 2015 18:19
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Here is your answer....

https://www.focusnordic.se/archive/documents/metz/metz_camera_compatibility.pdf

10 April 2015 18:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Thanks for the info, that's just what I needed (I don't know why they're not more forthright on their site with a link to a chart like that as it's a good marketing tool).

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

10 April 2015 18:46
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Canon were naughty though changing the protocols for the 6D/1Dx/5D3. I'll confess I've still not tested my TTL Pocket Wizards on the 6D yet, even though I reflashed them with the new firmware over six months ago (TTL's not really my thing but handy for things like holidays/street photography).

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AsheszLynn Kath27
ad360photo bbphotos Brian2008 ChrisD dirkus djb1 epashley hylander iestyn jackw Ladiesman laurencejpower MCGImages mghphoto panda49 parafotos Phiesta1 pvfb tonycsm Willy_O