Reminder Secure

france bans super skinny models ..... !!!

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2015 02:41
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11514613/France-divides-the-fashion-world-by-banning-skinny-models.html

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2015 02:42
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11514613/France-divides-the-fashion-world-by-banning-skinny-models.html

HowardJ is off-line
05 April 2015 04:57
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quite right too. You hear some crazy stuff about the pressures put on fashion models.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 April 2015 04:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It's ridiculous, there are plenty of perfectly healthy models that'll fall foul of this rule. All it'll do is simply drive the fashion industry elsewhere (France's loss will be some other country's gain).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

EdT is off-line
05 April 2015 13:22
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from RedChecker
It's ridiculous, there are plenty of perfectly healthy models that'll fall foul of this rule. All it'll do is simply drive the fashion industry elsewhere (France's loss will be some other country's gain).

How many models will fall foul of this rule? Given that ... "Under the new law, anyone running an agency found employing undernourished models below an as-yet undefined Body Mass Index, or BMI, risks a maximum six-month prison term and a €75,000 (£55,000) fine." Maybe the BMI will be set so low that nobody falls foul of it.

06 April 2015 01:50
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from EdT
How many models will fall foul of this rule? Given that ... "Under the new law, anyone running an agency found employing undernourished models below an as-yet undefined Body Mass Index, or BMI, risks a maximum six-month prison term and a €75,000 (£55,000) fine." Maybe the BMI will be set so low that nobody falls foul of it.

An article I saw a few days ago quoted a BMI of 18 being the threshold.  There's one or two quite well known models who will fall foul of that.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

06 April 2015 02:01
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The article quoting a BMI of 18 was on the BBC

06 April 2015 02:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've found a list of some supermodels on a website and calculated their BMI:

Anja Rubik - 5'10, 121lbs - BMI 17.4
Adriana Lima - 5'10, 121lbs - BMI 17.4
Alessandra Ambrosio - 5'9.5, 112lbs - BMI 16.3
Behati Prinsloo - 5'11, 119.5lbs - BMI 16.7
Candice Swanepoel - 5'10, 119lbs - BMI 17.1
Doutzen Kroes - 5'9, 119.5lbs - BMI 17.6
Karlie Elizabeth Kloss - 6'1, 125lbs - BMI 16.5
Lily Aldridge - 5'9, 116lbs - BMI 17.1
Chanel Iman Robinson - 5'10, 116lbs - BMI 16.6
Erin Heatherton - 5'11, 116lbs - BMI 16.2
Gisele Bundchen - 5'11, 123lbs - BMI 17.2
Heidi Klum - 5'9.5, 132lbs - BMI 19.2
Izabel Goulart 5'9.5, 112lbs - BMI 16.3

I'm not going to spend all day on this so stopped but out of 13, only one (Heidi Klum) would qualify if that BBC article is correct (at a threshold of 18 ). And scrolling down the list (there has to be over 100 girls listed) they're mostly around 5'10/11 and around 120lbs so likely only a handful would pass.

08 April 2015 14:18
laurenlangley
Model

When I started out in fashion at 19, I was five nine and maintained my 8 stone 2 figure with strict vegan diet.I was hungry sometimes, but I just had some raw veg or a little fruit and lots of water.Now I am the other end of the scale.I still eat a healthy pescatarian diet, but I am not rushed off my feet every day,and I am many years older.I walk my dog(a lot) for exercise.My metabolism is wrecked from years of diets.I can still model as a plus size mature model but I don't know how much work I would get.I haven't actively tried.Being an agency represented model (land based, real agency)it meant I had to be groomed and ready at the drop of a hat so I prefer freelance which gives me time to plan, and if needed, diet.My original point was until I was 26 or so my body was fairly easy to maintain so long as I was strict with my healthy diet.I often went to bed hungry but the prices some of these girls get paid is astronomical and would account for why they put the effort into staying so slim.For some, its just not genetically possible to get that thin, or stay that way.Many turn to drugs but that's another story.
I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your Internet-assembled philosophy

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
hanmoda2 tanyacox winX
dorrian Follyhouse jas Jpdo Kjoservices lenscape NATKINS redbaron Scotography Smoking_Allowed Studio4 talldave68