Reminder Secure

Whatever Happened to 'Me'?

30 March 2015 15:38
Jackass
Photographer

Quote from PaulManuell

They're both correct, but forums is the version most used in modern English, fora is just a bit pretentious.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

30 March 2015 16:04
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from Nick_Edinburgh
Actually I've a feeling fora and forums mean slightly different things... PS and PP both host forums. Whilst online discussion boards and pubs are both fora. Or is it the other way around? Something like that.

You're sort of correct. Dusting off my dictionary, it gives forums as the plural of forum, a meeting or medium for an exchange of views. I'm taking Purestorm's forum to be an example of 'medium' in this instance. The dictionary then goes on to describe fora (under the 'forum' description) as (in ancient Roman cities) a public square or marketplace used for judicial or other business. However, just to muddle things a bit, looking at the description of fora in its own right, the dictionary has it as the plural of forum, but in parenthesis says in sense 3. What sense 3 is, though, I haven't a clue. So there you are, it's as clear as mud.

Paul Hodson is off-line
01 April 2015 10:47
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from EdT
I remember the good old days when people used quotation marks rather than exclamation marks.

smiley
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

02 April 2015 10:24
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from EdT
I remember the good old days when people used quotation marks rather than exclamation marks.

"!"

OldMaster is off-line
11 April 2015 10:58
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Grammar and language do evolve of course as does slang and local dialect? Not sure any of it matters as long as folk are able to communicate what they mean?

Paul Hodson is off-line
11 April 2015 11:13
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from OldMaster
Grammar and language do evolve of course as does slang and local dialect? Not sure any of it matters as long as folk are able to communicate what they mean?

Well it are an point of view but am not sure me agrees with yourself
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Razoir is off-line
20 April 2015 07:58
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

... and the use of 'yourself' instead of 'you'.
The one that really gets my goat is 'that' instead of 'the' or 'a'. As in, 'You should see him on that stage.' Which stage? The grammatical naus up there is obvious. They are indicating one particular stage, not generic stages.
They should all be taken out and hanged. Not hung.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs funali OlgaCabaeva SofeSamM
bbphotos blade01uk darkstone_photo Davetse eosfan ev0 gazzer59 humphries john_at_tina_spice julienlesage markeos50d mlp moritz78 soulc Spiritofwales Steveharratt sutty251 swalsh58