Reminder Secure

Whatever Happened to 'Me'?

Carlos is off-line
28 March 2015 12:51
carlosw
Photographer

Wiltshire
Devizes

Is anyone else out there fed up with the rise and rise of !myself! As a substitute for !me! And now increasingly for 'I'? 'Myself' really does have a very limited use as an emphasis ie in "I, myself, will vouch for him. I know it's not easy to decide between when to use 'I' or 'me' but using 'myself' is not the answer as its wrong on both counts! If in doubt try removing the other person when trying to decide. So in 'Johnny and myself are going to town' remove Johnny and try I or me instead of myself and see what works. In this case it is 'I' - I am going to town. Or without Johnny and myself nothing would get done. In this case 'me' - Without me nothing would get done.

And before any other pedants out there use the argument that 'language is always evolving', I understand that but living through the the period of transition when morons rule, really is hell!

Phew!

Jonathan is off-line
28 March 2015 13:42
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Times change, as you say.

I recall that some people from the 2nd World War era could not come to terms with the way in which people behaved during the sixties and seventies, having fought for their freedom.

In the film 'The Limey', to quote - 'When you were there, though, you knew the language. You knew your way around. That was the sixties'.

Like Diana Ross and The Supremes sang - 'You've got to make way for the young folks'

I suppose William Shakespeare would have something to say about the change in the English language too.

It's just inevitable - and a matter of trying to keep up lol !

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

29 March 2015 05:43
PaulManuell
Photographer

There's a difference, though, between the English language changing/evolving and bad grammar. Misusing 'myself' is bad grammar. An unfortunate example of the language evolving is the word 'innit', though I was always under the obviously mistaken impression that evolution is supposedly an improvement on what went before.

Profile Pictures is off-line
29 March 2015 06:44
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

It's indicative of the demographic here that this thread even exists; if not the demographic then the subset of narky curmudgeons who occasionally haunt the space. A thread like this would get ripped up for arse paper in most other fora.

EdT is off-line
29 March 2015 12:17
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

I remember the good old days when people used quotation marks rather than exclamation marks.

29 March 2015 17:08
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from profilepictures
It's indicative of the demographic here that this thread even exists; if not the demographic then the subset of narky curmudgeons who occasionally haunt the space.

Spoken like the narky curmudgeon you are.

29 March 2015 17:12
PaulManuell
Photographer

A thread like this would get ripped up for arse paper in most other fora.

No it wouldn't. I've read similar threads on other forums, and far from being ripped up for arse paper they actually make for interesting discussion.

Carlos is off-line
30 March 2015 08:01
carlosw
Photographer

Wiltshire
Devizes

It's indicative of the demographic here that this thread even exists; if not the demographic then the subset of narky curmudgeons who occasionally haunt the space. A thread like this would get ripped up for arse paper in most other fora.

...........are they fora or forums?

30 March 2015 10:07
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from carlosw

...........are they fora or forums?

They're both correct, but forums is the version most used in modern English, fora is just a bit pretentious.

30 March 2015 13:31
Nick_Edinburgh
Photographer

Actually I've a feeling fora and forums mean slightly different things... PS and PP both host forums. Whilst online discussion boards and pubs are both fora. Or is it the other way around? Something like that.

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CIEGE_CJ Coldasice80 mandymack xxalixx
chandos extra_mayo frankpht Jamesfitzpatrick JohnDentonPhoto LGI modelimages4u NatashaCalamita Pegasuspics rscott360