Dave Beasley is online
21 March 2015 12:27
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi all,

I am considering adding an internal 250GB SSD to my 4 year old MacPro (16GB RAM) but have no experience and little knowledge of SSDs. At the moment I use the "standard" internal HDD for program files, an internal 2TB Western Digital Red HDD for image files and an external 3TB Buffalo drive for backing up image files and catalogs.

If I do buy an SSD, am I right in thinking that its best use would be for holding the catalogs?

Thanks

Dave

HowardJ is off-line
21 March 2015 12:38
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Yep, there's plenty of guidance on the internet on how best to use SSDs with Light room.

21 March 2015 14:44
paule
Photographer

May have a google at that...

I currently have my cat' on an SSD along with the swap / cache area...

Previously I had them on spinning disks and LR would pause between modules: Library to Develop.. now it doesn't

New release, v6 due imminently.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 March 2015 15:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Can't speak from a Mac point of view but buying a cheapie SSD (64GB) for my Lightroom catalogues on my PC made a world of difference, especially since my PC's a dinosaur (only 4GB or RAM and a first generation quad core CPU).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

DJ200 is online
21 March 2015 16:32
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Hertfordshire

I have a 500gb SSD that holds Lightroom, PS CS6 and the LR catalogue. All works a treat, and super fast too. Using Windows 8.1

Regards
David

Simon Chan is off-line
21 March 2015 16:42
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Sandisk Extreme Pro is currently one of the best SSD around with 10 years guarantee.

Dave Beasley is online
21 March 2015 16:51
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Well you've all convinced me, I've ordered the bits!

Thanks for all the replies

Dave

DJ200 is online
21 March 2015 18:06
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Hertfordshire

Quote from Chandos
Sandisk Extreme Pro is currently one of the best SSD around with 10 years guarantee.

Yep, that's what I got.

Profile Pictures is off-line
21 March 2015 18:10
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Also on a sandisk ssd 120gb, it runs windows and ps ever so fast. It was handy to use a bit of software called paragon migrate to mirror the c drive across into the new ssd. That way, if you have a problem you can still boot from the old hard drive too.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
22 March 2015 04:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

They basically work best where there's any sort of random access. So booting is given a massive boost as the system boots endless hundreds/thousands of driver & library files. Lightroom catalogues are also good examples as it contains all of the thumnails etc in a massive database.

Although they'll still be better than mechanical drives, the performance boost won't be as significant for things like video editing (or at least the processing) as it's primarily CPU oriented and the data's simply streaming steadily from the drives.

One word of warning... it's good practice never to fill up an SSD (or indeed get anywhere near close to filling it up). It's all to do with what's called wear-levelling and how the drives protect themselves from damage (because as we know, flash memory has finite write cycles).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Abbigoodchild chosin danixhale fionajane georgiaiaxo Lilly_69 sarahjane1 TerezVegphotomodel
ad360photo bbphotos cliffc diphoto DJ200 dorrian dwhphotography eosfan Garys1965 ha2rig joolsy keltica Kjoservices MIB modelboutique Myview peterh ScottMCCCXIV sigmasd14 sniffer Spiritofwales stevegosh steveh32 TinDolls ttstinger woody xtiggerx