Reminder Secure

Canon people... Need to pick your brains!

11 March 2015 13:39
emmwood
Model

Hi everyone! Need some advice please

So, I'm looking for a second hand camera, but, I need to switch over to Canon as I have a new job freelancing for a events company, and they all shoot on Canons. The majority have 5D Mk2 or 7D. I can use their equipment for jobs with them, but I'm starting to get interest from others now too, for which I'll need my own equipment.

I have had a Nikon D70 for about 6 years now, it copes fine outside for my equine stuff and also copes perfectly fine in the studio, BUT, it does not cope for indoor sports! To get an image at all that isn't ridiculously blurry, I'm having to whack it to it's max of 1600 ISO, 250 shutter speed and lowest aperture my lens will allow of 3.8. This results in super grain, dark, and not perfectly sharp. That's the absolute best available setting for indoor sports on it to see anything at all to work with.

I need to get a Canon asap, but funds are currently in the minus figures and need to be able to get enough together to buy end of the month! So it needs to be something reasonably priced that I can pick up 2nd hand, that will do the job for the next few years until I can match up to what the others in the team have.

Which Canons are budget friendly, and cope well at higher ISOs?

David Kirk is off-line
11 March 2015 13:58
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

There should be some fairly good deals on the EOS 7D, and check what Calumet have in the way of second hand models - think they will accept trade-ins. . .

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
11 March 2015 15:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I doubt the 7D (mk 1) will give you a whole lot more in the high ISO stakes (although will be better than a D70), although it will push the ISO much higher and would have superior AF but grain will still be a problem once you're pushing 1600 ISO and higher.  Certainly DXOmark's results don't point to a massive increase in quality. 

Indoor sports is arguably one of the toughest challenges for equipment for several reasons, firstly the ISO which you're already aware.  Secondly there's focus speed, not only are some cameras better at this (the 7D is actually very good) they need the right lenses what can perform fast enough which typically means fast (& expensive) zooms or primes as many cameras cannot use enhanced AF capability on cheaper lenses.  Then there's the photographer's judgement in balancing aperture with AF confidence, all in all somewhat difficult and if you look at what the pros use and consider how much their gear costs it's understandable that it's a challenge (they'll use lenses like the 200mm F2, an insanely expensive lens).

Depending on the sport you could always pre-focus (use tripod, focus manually and fire the camera when person passes that point), that would at least eliminate missing the shot because the camera couldn't focus.  If it's fast motion though you really need to be looking in the ~1/1000th region.

Rather than zoom in on the subject you could go wide-angle and make it more of an artform rather than straight-forward press/action shots, this would at least eliminate AF issues and lens movement.  An article here shows how well wide-angle works well for boxing as an example. 
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
11 March 2015 15:45
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I have a Canon 5DII and 5DIII lovely studio cameras. All makes have good and bad aspects though and I was always under the impression that while Canon wipe the floor on portrait work low light is not by any means their forte.

I cannot see how the fact they shoot Canon effects anything. In event work you tend to shoot a medium resolution jpeg for speed and efficiency so I can't see any implications from you using a Nikon.

5D's are hardly going to be budget friendly even with a new one coming out. The 7D may be a better option then but I have no experience using that one and I'm not sure if it is weatherproofed as well for outdoor work. Seem to recall it is a crop sensor though, which has good and and points.

May be better to spend on a good fast IS stabilised lens for your current camera
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Dave Beasley is off-line
11 March 2015 18:05
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I would agree with your thoughts on either a 7D or 5D2 but also suggest you go to reputable dealers such as Wex, Calumet, London Camera Exchange etc rather than buying privately.

Dave

Nick Skinner is off-line
11 March 2015 18:23
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

Quote from emmwood
Hi everyone! Need some advice please

So, I'm looking for a second hand camera, but, I need to switch over to Canon as I have a new job freelancing for a events company, and they all shoot on Canons. The majority have 5D Mk2 or 7D. I can use their equipment for jobs with them, but I'm starting to get interest from others now too, for which I'll need my own equipment.

I have had a Nikon D70 for about 6 years now, it copes fine outside for my equine stuff and also copes perfectly fine in the studio, BUT, it does not cope for indoor sports! To get an image at all that isn't ridiculously blurry, I'm having to whack it to it's max of 1600 ISO, 250 shutter speed and lowest aperture my lens will allow of 3.8. This results in super grain, dark, and not perfectly sharp. That's the absolute best available setting for indoor sports on it to see anything at all to work with.

I need to get a Canon asap, but funds are currently in the minus figures and need to be able to get enough together to buy end of the month! So it needs to be something reasonably priced that I can pick up 2nd hand, that will do the job for the next few years until I can match up to what the others in the team have.

Which Canons are budget friendly, and cope well at higher ISOs?

I am a little confused, why you need to change from Nikon to Canon, just because everyone else your working with has Canon, unless of course you can utilise their possibly superior lenses? No I am not a devoted Canon, nor a devoted Nikon user, I use both, they are after all just cameras. I do appreciate that with older cameras the one aspect of modern processor equipped cameras is their ability to be produce vastly superior clarity of image, in poor light. I use Canon 1D's for most of my work, but in low light the far cheaper 6D, is vastly superior, care of its more modern, full frame sensor. Using a 1D mk4 at 1600 asa, does not come close to my 6D operating at 6400asa. I am sure the 5 series, which also use full frame sensors, perform similarly. I guess like most writing here, I only really know or have a worthwhile opinion of what cameras I own and use, so the 7D's others write of, may do the job you need, I just don't know. Equally I am sure their are many Nikons which will fulfil the same requirements. I still use an old D200 with Ai fixed focal length lenses when I just want a lightweight small outfit on holiday, but no, I would not use it on any low light assignment, but in good light with very crisp fixed focal length lenses, its fine. I find the Canon v Nikon, PC v Apple arguments so boring, really it is the image that matters, not the camera it was taken on.

11 March 2015 19:44
emmwood
Model

Snapper47, got in the first guess; I can use better lenses as they'll be available to me when I make the change over. I've actually spent more time using Canon than I have my own Nikon, purely because of the people I know. I'm very comfortable with the Canons, and I only have the basics for my D70 so not a huge expensive venture to switch over. Nothing top notch, mostly old tamrons etc. In the long run I'd be better off on Canon, as I can utilise the equipment and knowledge surrounding me.

Thanks everyone so far for your comments, all appreciated!

Matthew G is off-line
11 March 2015 21:36
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

If budget allows then get a 7d. If budget doesn't allow get a 60d. The 5dii will be too expensive I guess. People go on and on about ISO, megapixels etc etc but a few years ago when the 7d launched nobody said it was bad. It's only when you compare it to other cameras that it becomes bad. If you can't afford a 60d then go for a 50d or a 40d even. Personally i wouldnt go back further than a 60d. I have owned around 4 or 5 60d's now and theyre a brilliant back up camera. Ultimately my favourite Canon that I own now is a 6d. For some strange reason i prefer it to the 5diii as long as im not shooting Sports.

Hope that helps....

12 March 2015 04:14
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Off topic slightly but it does make me wonder why Canon don't do an affordable crop-sensor camera specifically aimed at low light work with something like (say) 10-12 megapixels (think of it as a crop equivalent of the 6D, not all the bells & whistles but a very good sensor), as it would still be more than enough for A4, possibly A3 with careful scaling and far more flexible than what they've currently got in the crop lineup.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

12 March 2015 04:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Out of interest... the Nikon D7100 seems to be pretty good in low light, far better than Canon's crop-sensor offerings (and can even out-perform the 7D mark 2 for high ISO according to DXOmark). It's a reasonable price too.

And... it's due to be replaced in April by the new model so there may be bargains to be had (especially at the photo show next week) as suppliers clear out their stocks in preparation for it.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz Modtog1976