Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 March 2015 16:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

There's also a thing called insurance as well
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Simon Chan is off-line
07 March 2015 23:27
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
There's also a thing called insurance as well

He claims to be having trouble with his insurer. It was mentioned in my initial post.

Preswylfa is off-line
08 March 2015 06:39
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

Quote from Chandos
He claims to be having trouble with his insurer. It was mentioned in my initial post.

Yes he's correct, he did mention it in his initial post.

Mike.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
08 March 2015 08:17
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

If you don't ask you don't get. If you want to give that's your choice.

Simon Chan is off-line
08 March 2015 15:15
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from frankpht
If you don't ask you don't get. If you want to give that's your choice.

All very well being a choice but here is the problem. The recent concept of online crowd funding which is about collaboration through funding to help a project come to fruition has been marred by these type of requests that serve no purpose to anybody except expensive freebies for the individual recipient. Eventually when more of the same keeps propping up because some mugs cant help themselves giving money away, more people will eventually turn away from crowd funding activities and more deserving projects would be ignored.

HowardJ is off-line
08 March 2015 15:57
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Taking the HowardJ is a naughty person .

08 March 2015 17:53
JadedRed
Model

I don't give a JadedRed is a naughty person what other people think about how I spend my money and I extend the courtesy I would like from others to others.

Chrissie Red is off-line
08 March 2015 18:49
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

We won't all agree on whats "worthy" of donations but obviously a few people do believe in his "cause" enough to want to try and help him out.
If he were my trusted friend and had lost something precious to him I would probably donate a few quid to the fund to help him out a little too.

If people want to donate a few quid here and there then it doesn't make much of a difference to them but to the person/charity receiving that funding it could make a huge difference.

yeah its a bit cheeky, he might not have owned that camera but we are not obliged to donate to his "cause".

I don't ask people for anything but I know if I ever needed something urgently and I couldn't afford it then my friends would help me out, just like I would help them out if they needed it.

I remember years ago I was chatting to a model who is an online friend and I was having a wee moan about being soo skint I couldn't even afford a razor for my next shoot(I was exaggerating a bit) and she said "whats your address? I want to send you a few bits and pieces to help you out" and I know if I had given her it she would have sent a little care package up. I declined but the fact she would even have thought about doing that for me was beautiful and it actually has made me a better person - Since then I've helped out 4 or 5 models with £10/£20 here and there, aye its not much but if you are struggling for money and going through a dry spell it can help a person eat/get a train ticket to a shoot or whatever. It's nice to be... well nice and to help people out. Granted nobody I helped out wanted an expensive camera and it was for pure basics but I always think if I have a little extra and somebody is having a hard time then its good to help them out.

Simon Chan is off-line
10 March 2015 14:27
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

If it is my friend who suffered a terrible lost I probably help him out too. Chrissie_Red's comment mirrors exactly what several online commentator's view regarding crowdfunding aka "ebegging". Family and friends rallying around helping out are not unusual, without asking for money in person to avoid making him/her feel like he/she is begging. However online crowdfunding extend far more than mere family and fiends but a wider community of people they won't know to achieve a goal and that goal is what? We have people who want money to visit Vegas. Funding for a £30k camera is taking the proverbial Chandos is a naughty person to a whole new level.

For the record despite the first day donation of over £1k it has suddenly ground to a halt so I guess there are limit to how many mugs there are

Just think, if this guy manage to be reunited with his camera or his insurer decide to pay out will he return all the money he gotten from donation? Yeah right

Chrissie Red is off-line
11 March 2015 08:46
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

You can take some happiness out of this - i'm sure most of these websites don't actually send any money out until the target has been reached. I know i've funded a couple of things in the past and had my money sent back to me from the website because the donations didn't exceed the target figure.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dbturner Jo80 Looby88 Winterlilly
AndyGStudios antoinewynn carshaltonkev dby47 diphoto dirkus dorrian George99 grahamr john_at_tina_spice JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices Ladiesman Omalley panda49 ricciarelli Rob77 scottmcccxiv Sp_digital Spiritofwales stevegosh Steveh32 Thunder_Photos