Reminder Secure

Crowd funding or taking the piss?

Simon Chan is off-line
07 March 2015 00:27
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Recently someone posted on several filmmakers forums with a sob story about his camera and gears stolen and is having difficulty getting his insurer to recover the lost, so he alleges. It was a mega expensive RED Epic. His friend help him set up an online crowd funding so he can get enough cash to replace the gears he had lost.
Don't want to post any link on behalf of him because even if the case is real there is more depressing need elsewhere such as helping starving impoverish people than to fund someone affluent who refuses to shoot anything less than a RED Epic. It has already raised over a grand in less than a day

Profile Pictures is off-line
07 March 2015 02:33
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Good luck to the fella.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 March 2015 05:06
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've seen quite a few crowd funding posts on sites with seemingly non-photographers/videographers (they certainly had little/nothing to show) wanting gear in return for a copy of their masterpiece. It often ends in a popcorn thread of abuse... Good fun really.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

ChrisS is off-line
07 March 2015 10:16
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

Innocent until proven guilty. If there are doubts, the organisers of the crowd funding site will investigate. You're casting judgment on the guy while trying to stir up a debate. Seems a bit low to me.

07 March 2015 11:08
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from TheChrisS
Innocent until proven guilty. If there are doubts, the organisers of the crowd funding site will investigate. You're casting judgment on the guy while trying to stir up a debate. Seems a bit low to me.

It's not a case of being innocent or guilty of anything, unless we can agree he's guilty of being a bit cheeky.

I personally think it's going against the intention/ethos of what crowd funding was all about, as it was originally intended as a way of people to deliver a product to people if they can get enough financial backing for their idea.  Not only can I not see what others will get out of this for their generosity but it sounds like he's simply doing to get himself a load of gear.  IMO with these two points it's on-par with begging.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

07 March 2015 11:22
PaulManuell
Photographer

What's a RED Epic?

07 March 2015 11:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PaulManuell
What's a RED Epic?

A VERY expensive video camera that is often used for film/high-end TV production, they can cost ~$20,000 for the body alone and you can easily double that once you've added on recording devices, focus screens, mounts etc.  And there's lens cost on top of that, which if you're looking at master primes can be around $20,000 a lens also.  Definitely not pocket money stuff.

Here's a kit RED are advertising which includes most of what you need to get started (remember, there's no lens with this)

scubie is off-lineSilver Member
07 March 2015 12:05
scubie
Photographer
scubie
West Sussex
worthing

should be easy to trace, can't be a lot of them around going secondhand !!! Bit like nicking The Mona Lisa.

Simon Chan is off-line
07 March 2015 15:02
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from TheChrisS

Who cares if it was real or not, this guy wanted people to fund a very expensive camera & gears. He is a pro, a blogger and has no problem getting hold of or borrow high end gears since he also does reviews of very expensive high end cameras and gets paid for it too. He has made a successful career out of making promo films hence why he can afford a RED Epic. It is like a successful businessman who had his Mercedes stolen and setup an online crowd funding to buy another Mercedes when the people he is asking drives crappy old bangers.

Simon Chan is off-line
07 March 2015 15:11
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from PaulManuell
What's a RED Epic?

Peter Jackson uses the RED Epic to film the Hobbits.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa KerryWright24 miles scarlettfoxett Sifx tim Winterlilly Yenguo
cefyl creakypete doughnut ElegantCaptures eosfan Fashionphotography geoffmarchant gordon GSC4X hodgen Ladiesman markeos50d MIB moritz78 Njsphotography philippahh rscott360 Steveh32 Stevenbennett Vltavakrtek will_i_am
tim