spare bedroom to studio

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Jim Meek is off-line
28 February 2015 13:49
JimM
Photographer

Ayrshire
Irvine

I was thinking of converting my spare room into a studio.Has anyone got any advice on what pitfalls I face and how to avoid them or any tips on how to make the most of the space I have?the room is 13'x9'

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 February 2015 14:01
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Is this for macro work?

I can't imagine there's much you can constructively do in such a small space other than utilise bounce flash, and even then you'll be restricted to shooting fairly wide angles. Headshots may be possible using lots of black cloth to absorb stray light.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

HowardJ is off-line
28 February 2015 16:27
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from JimM
I was thinking of converting my spare room into a studio.Has anyone got any advice on what pitfalls I face and how to avoid them or any tips on how to make the most of the space I have?the room is 13'x9'

That's kinda small.

I read somewhere that painting walls gray is a good idea. Maybe different colours on different walls. But you'll struggle with lights in such a small space.

KHV is off-line
28 February 2015 17:25
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

The only way you are going to make that a studio space, is by knocking all the other rooms to make one reasonable big enough.

Garages and rooms (unless you live in a mansion) just do not make a studio space.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
28 February 2015 17:31
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Not ideal but it is do able. I use my livingroom which is probably about the same size. A couple of studio flashes and a backdrop and you make do with what you've got. The only pitfall is the size but you know that so get on with it and make it happen. Can't give you anymore advice as I or we don't know anything else about your equipment.

28 February 2015 18:53
Catuaba
Photographer

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/wooden-garden-workshops

Rob Keynsham is off-line
04 March 2015 09:38
basil
Photographer
basil
Avon
Bristol

Paint the walls white; chuck in a couple of speedlights and cheap umbrellas from ebay and you're good to go. Once you get bored of this you can add some gels and make your own flags and snoots.

I recommend foam sheets for the flags http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbies/craft-bases-and-essentials/felt-and-foam-sheets

Do a shoot; see what you'd like to improve on and steadily acquire pieces as you need them.

G Jack B is off-line
04 March 2015 10:56
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from basil
Paint the walls white; chuck in a couple of speedlights and cheap umbrellas from ebay and you're good to go. Once you get bored of this you can add some gels and make your own flags and snoots. I recommend foam sheets for the flags http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbies/craft-bases-and-essentials/felt-and-foam-sheets Do a shoot; see what you'd like to improve on and steadily acquire pieces as you need them.

+1
A more positive resposne......  true its not idea but its not impossible, just learn to work to the rooms limits.  Good Luck
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

marlham is off-line
04 March 2015 11:32
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from basil
Paint the walls white...

I certainly wouldn't do that.

The smaller a studio space is the more challenging it becomes to control light scatter and painting the walls white will make that task virtually impossible. Personally I'd go for blackboard paint on 3 of the 4 walls and leave one side wall white. But have enough black polyboards so that you can block some or all of that white wall depending on how much contrast you need for the particular shot you're after. Otherwise having white walls will just result in flat, boring photos no matter how hard you try for something more interesting.

Good luck

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
04 March 2015 12:20
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I would not even bother about studio lighting. There is one available for free. Its called the sun and does not take up any space inside the room
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs estefy86 Kaylie Lusciousabi29 sarah_platinum_blonde Tom84 Winterlilly
anthonyh antoinewynn Aquarian digitalphotos jackw Ladiesman lenspoynter liteangle Matt1988 mlp myphotography myview paulreeves Photojoe670 Reynard rod_m99 scottmcccxiv star_shots stevegosh steven1
matt