Reminder Secure

Web Design

24 February 2015 19:07
Catuaba
Photographer

Does anyone know of any decent web design companies that build ecommerce stores. I did find an excellent one, loads of great examples, reasonable pricing for what you get etc. But when the actual time came to go over everything the price advertised jumped by at least 2k and then there was an ongoing service charge too. A professional company, no templates or build it yourself jobs, it needs to be bug free and operational to a large number of shoppers.

CSD Images is off-line
25 February 2015 02:44
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

If you want custom work then 2K is pretty reasonable, the service charge is required unless you want to starting fixing issues with your shopping cart when Paypal updates their APIs or some other feature your site is built on let alone the underlying Apache/Nginx framework.

Plus bug free is all but impossible and to be honest you're best to building a site around Magento or WordPress/WooCommerce these days as your CMS engines.

Building a E-Commerce site isn't easy, as it can be a lot of work to tie all the elements together into a cohesive whole.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
25 February 2015 04:20
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from CSD_Images
If you want custom work then 2K is pretty reasonable, the service charge is required unless you want to starting fixing issues with your shopping cart when Paypal updates their APIs or some other feature your site is built on let alone the underlying Apache/Nginx framework. Plus bug free is all but impossible and to be honest you're best to building a site around Magento or WordPress/WooCommerce these days as your CMS engines. Building a E-Commerce site isn't easy, as it can be a lot of work to tie all the elements together into a cohesive whole.

He said the price increased by £2k not that it cost that. As you say a service charge can take a weight off your mind. . I would never build a serious store around Wordpress. Thats inviting calamity. Its great for the sort of low to medium volume portfolio sites photgraphers need but neither secure or robust enough for a dedicated high volume store. Anyhow that is not what was asked for.

An online clothes shop we do ocasional product shoots for uses https://www.firepages.co.uk/  I know they are very busy and I have never seen the site down. Looks a bit like what you are after. Fixed price dedicated shop and been operating for a while now.

The site I know is
http://www.the-gothic-shop.co.uk/
Also using it is another site we have shot for
http://www.rockabillypinup.co.uk/
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

25 February 2015 10:51
Catuaba
Photographer

Thanks I will take a look. Yes that is correct the price jumped up by 2k. And was already a stretch to afford in the first place. And the ongoing charges meant it just seemed a minefield of money lost. With lots of potential bug issues.
The items I have are fragile, I wouldn't want them in a store for fear of mishandle and damage, online is the future of now. Where the sales are made. You don't need the footfall of people passing your shop. There already out there.

I spent a long time doing my homework on the original designers so I was disappointed to find out the price wasn't right. I appreciate that it is a skill. Playing with Dreamweaver in the past has shown me how much of a skill it is. But It would be easier if prices were set in stone at the beginning so new businesses with a low budget could get on the ladder without fear of further charges.

I've no interest in paypal or amazon, ebay etc. They take far too much off the sales price. It would be sagepay and I believe the cost for this is around £20 a month ish. Plus your business banking charges.

25 February 2015 11:54
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I would sort your shop before commiting to payment method as you will need to make sure what you have can be integrated into the one being offered. This should not be a problem as most decent shopping solutions either integrate the common providers or can build a suitable API

25 February 2015 14:02
Catuaba
Photographer

Thanks for that Redbaron, there's a good chance I will be going with that company now. Much better solution than the one I had! Which was clearly not what it was advertised to be.

KHV is off-line
25 February 2015 14:39
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Oh dear, look at the botom http://www.firepages.co.uk/integration-with-mailchimp-api/

25 February 2015 15:48
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Keltica
Oh dear, look at the botom http://www.firepages.co.uk/integration-with-mailchimp-api/

And????

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 February 2015 15:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from redbaron
And????

Sadly he'll never come back to explain himself, never does.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

25 February 2015 18:11
Catuaba
Photographer

I don't follow? I would be using sagepay which they have confirmed works with. And email which I have hosted elsewhere by just displaying my email address. I presume orders coming through would be on the back end admin system or emailed to my account hosted elsewhere. All looks good to me so far.

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa danixhale Dolphin Lushlolly Pinklilly tanyacox
abouncer azurphotos barrysmiles Blancho david1500 diphoto Essexjohn fannmore FlyingShot GlasgowPhotographer Hioctane ism1967 James7799 just_lez Kjoservices KrissB Ladiesman liteangle orca_photography philippahh Skystudio sniffer tonyk1
harbourstudio