This thread is being watched by 1 person
Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
20 February 2015 18:57
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

I prefer to buy an external housing (3.5 and 2.5) and use better quality drives in them - i.e. Western Digital Caviar Blacks. They are more expensive, but they are as solid as a rock. At the moment, I've got about 8 x 2TB drives and never had a problem with them. I also use WD Black 750GB laptop drives too if I need portability, they run a lot cooler than their 3.5 counterparts.

Ali is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2015 15:34
AlasdairEW
Photographer
AlasdairEW
Essex

Ali is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2015 15:34
AlasdairEW
Photographer
AlasdairEW
Essex

I recognise a variety of the drives mentioned here my two-pennith worth is quite simple, assuming you never want to loose data there are only three real options:

1. A sensible size external RAID solution running paired (or greater) drives, I've had a buffalo but it was a continual problem there are lots of options... The problem with any HDD drives is that the ultimately fail so this is a must if you never want to loose the data through drive failure.... But here is the problem, this solution does not prevent a catastrophy from destroying everything (e.g. flooding / fire) so I would recommend my solution below.

2. Use an on-line unlimited file storage solution (admittedly this is only an option if you have fibre optic broadband), the problem with this is that you need to ensure that the service provider you pick have continuous back-up solutions and is not going to go out of business.

3. (& this is my solution) External RAID storage solution and an on-line file storage option!

Might be overkill, but I hope this is useful to someone.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2015 18:43
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

I have had a WD Passport 2TB fail on me but I have a couple of 1TB & a 2TB as well (as well as 3 WD MY books & had more over years).

Whilst I have had this passport fail & indeed a WD my book fail over the years as you can tell I am not deterred. I have had less problems with WD than I have with others over the years (Maxtor!)

I like the convenience & space usage of the My passports but with no real evidence not sure whether the 3.5" drives in my book drives a better long term solution (hence I use a mixture)

One feature I like for the WD passport & My book drives (not their essential versions) is the password protection - I like to keep personal data personal.

You don't state if this is a single backup or not but just in case it is, like others I would advise for any files you want to make sure you have a copy of, to have at least 2 copies (or use a properly set up raid system for redundancy - which of course uses multiple drives) just in case you are unlucky and do get a failure.

As you may have guessed with my mention of multiple drives I have several copies on different drives. I have lost a couple of unimportant files over the years and read too many horror stories of people who have been meaning to backup their files or never really gave it much thought when their drives fail & they loose precious memories or other important docs.

Gary Newton is off-line
24 February 2015 20:32
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

Thanks for everyone's input. I went and got a WD passport this afternoon. After I upload a shoot to my pc I burn it straight to disk, I make a back up on old reformatted drives which I have lying around but it's nice to have something that doesn't require power.

Daniel Richardson is off-line
27 February 2015 07:34
dannyrich
Photographer
dannyrich
North Yorkshire

I bought 2 2TB Iomega drives one was replaced straight out of the box and then they both ended up dying within a week of each other.

Since then I have bought a 3TB WD drive which I am more than happy with and plan to buy a 4TB drive soon.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 February 2015 07:42
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from dannyrich
I bought 2 2TB Iomega drives one was replaced straight out of the box and then they both ended up dying within a week of each other.

The problem with the likes of Iomega, Lacie, Buffalo & Freecom etc. is that you don't know exactly who manufactures the hard disks inside them. 

And furthermore, for all external drives (with USB interface) it may not actually be the drive that's failed but the USB interface itself (had this happen in work years ago with a Maxtor drive)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Kizer is off-lineSilver Member
27 February 2015 18:59
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

ait ssd drives taking over now.

they are more expensive at the moment

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 February 2015 05:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Kizer
ait ssd drives taking over now. they are more expensive at the moment

As a primary drive for booting or intense working yes, they are superior due to their speed.

They will, however never surpass mechanical drives for capacity,cost effectiveness and longevity and will never be a suitable drive for archiving.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
28 February 2015 05:24
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from RedChecker
They will, however never surpass mechanical drives for capacity,cost effectiveness and longevity and will never be a suitable drive for archiving.

Not true.

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ArizonaSky Ashleighmckenzie chandni23 Danielamoreno1975 Harleypage Laila19 latara_18 michellehush Pinklilly toxicinnocence
abouncer albaphotos couchestudio Dandelion dby47 DecimalDan diphoto Essexjohn freddie gperl GSC4X Impulse_Images JasonSmithPhoto leekumkee liteangle Maverick974 MIB philippahh photon rtmphoto siclews steveh32 timmbo violins Willjamieson