External Hard Drives

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Gary Newton is off-line
19 February 2015 17:40
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I'm looking at buying a WD 2tb my passport, anyone know of any reasons I shouldn't or can offer a suggestion to any cheaper others. The only reason I'm looking at WD is because they're the only brand I know.....

Funky is off-line
19 February 2015 17:51
Funky
Photographer
Funky
Birmingham

WD are good and reliable.  I have four over ten years and haven't had any problems.  My last one was bought from a supermarket called T*** online as they were the cheapest.  A computer engineer friend of mine says to avoid S****** as they were once good, but now bought out by a "make 'em cheap and nasty" firm and are now unreliable.  (S******  - think Ocean and closing a gap in the fence).  He also says not to look at cheaper options if you value your data.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
19 February 2015 18:50
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Funky
WD are good and reliable.  I have four over ten years and haven't had any problems.  My last one was bought from a supermarket called T*** online as they were the cheapest.  A computer engineer friend of mine says to avoid S****** as they were once good, but now bought out by a "make 'em cheap and nasty" firm and are now unreliable.  (S******  - think Ocean and closing a gap in the fence).  He also says not to look at cheaper options if you value your data.

Funny, I've never had a problem with Seagate drives.  WD & Maxtor (no longer trading) drives were the most unreliable in my experience at work having had several DOA or short lived drives over the years.  Fujitsu drives are fairly reliable as well.  Having said that, WD Passport drives have performed flawlessly for me having had 3/4 of them personally since they first came out.

The truth is... any manufacturer can produce bad batches of drives or less reliable designs and it's pot luck as to whether or not you're unlucky enough to get a duff drive, hence the importance of a reliable backup and archiving strategy (I wouldn't trust any single drive to be 100% reliable).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steve Walsh is off-line
19 February 2015 19:13
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

I have a Buffalo 1TB and it has worked faultlessly since I got it over three years ago. I also back up to the cloud, on 2 more computer HDD and make a DVD. I'm not anal about backups though.........

marlham is off-line
19 February 2015 22:52
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from RedChecker
Funny, I've never had a problem with Seagate drives.

Well I have four of them that are good for nothing but doorstops. All 1TB drives and they all failed over a period of about 18 months. I'll never touch anything with a Seagate in it again.

Currently using 3 x 3TB WD MyBookLives and have been for about 2.5 years without any problems at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Cloud-Storage-Network-Attached/dp/B004DTXFDS

HowardJ is off-line
20 February 2015 02:18
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Personally I use lower capacity drives. At least that way I'd lose less if a single drive did fail.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 February 2015 03:37
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from HowardJ
Personally I use lower capacity drives. At least that way I'd lose less if a single drive did fail.

There's a school of thought that higher capacity drives are far more reliable due to less head activity within the drive to read/write the data.  Many high capacity drives nowadays are also running at lower rotation speeds thus reducing the stresses on them.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
20 February 2015 11:12
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

I've got a WD 2TB passport and it's been good so far, no probs with the Seagate either, of the lower capacity models I've always been impressed with Freecom, they just seem to go on for year after year.
It was broken when I got here

Steve S is off-lineSilver Member
20 February 2015 12:07
SteveSJS55
Photographer
SteveSJS55
Somerset

Lacie d2 Quadra 2Tb . these are my main storage 6 units . 3 in use, 3 as backup. All 6 have identical files Hence my total capacity is only 2Tb. Plus Blue ray disc back up .
All 3 back up drives and Blue Ray discs are stored in a fireproof safe.
Never cut corners on quality of storage drives.

Paul Hodson is off-line
20 February 2015 14:50
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from SteveSJS55
Lacie d2 Quadra 2Tb . these are my main storage 6 units . 3 in use, 3 as backup. All 6 have identical files Hence my total capacity is only 2Tb. Plus Blue ray disc back up . All 3 back up drives and Blue Ray discs are stored in a fireproof safe. Never cut corners on quality of storage drives.

Who were bought by Seagate in 2012..................
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
MissInk78 pinklilly SJH30
bogan browny7 Edphoto Fluffypup George99 Hazy photostevo redtail RenedeHaan sammylhel Steveh32