Reminder Secure

More Good News For Film Users.

Anthonygh is off-line
12 February 2015 14:43
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I keep reading that film sales are improving...and I know from bitter experience that quality film gear on eBay is not cheap anymore...but I came across this article earlier that makes interesting reading: http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/2015/01/2015-year-film-fought-back.html

In a nutshell, the increase in film sales and analogue photography is being driven by the younger generation!! And there was me thinking it was pensioners keeping that market going!!surprise

Jules Walker is off-line
14 February 2015 06:03
jamesboswell
Photographer

Berkshire
Bracknell

I have recently dug out my Canon EOS-1n and bought a load of colour print film, in the vain hope that the weather might improve and I can shoot some nicely lit outdoor sets. Love working with "proper" SLR cameras, you really have to think, compose and make sure the exposure is right for each shot. With a DSLR you can almost get away with anything and then sort it out on the computer.

Anthonygh is off-line
14 February 2015 06:12
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from jamesboswell
I have recently dug out my Canon EOS-1n and bought a load of colour print film, in the vain hope that the weather might improve and I can shoot some nicely lit outdoor sets. Love working with "proper" SLR cameras, you really have to think, compose and make sure the exposure is right for each shot. With a DSLR you can almost get away with anything and then sort it out on the computer.

I have one of them.....in fact I seem to have one (or more) of most Canon film cameras going back to the 60s!! I have ten rolls of B+W Agfa film I ordered a month ago that I an itching to try out! Mainly into using Bronica gear (when shooting film that is) at the moment.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
14 February 2015 13:03
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from anthonyh
In a nutshell, the increase in film sales and analogue photography is being driven by the younger generation!!

It would have to be...

Only those of us old enough to have been forced to use film will be able to remember what a complete ball-ache it was. Expensive, risky, inconvenient... and did I mention expensive?

It's great that hipsters are enjoying playing around with film. For practical purposes though... that ship has sailed!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 February 2015 15:51
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Andy_B
It would have to be...

Only those of us old enough to have been forced to use film will be able to remember what a complete ball-ache it was. Expensive, risky, inconvenient... and did I mention expensive?

It's great that hipsters are enjoying playing around with film. For practical purposes though... that ship has sailed!

+1
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Anthonygh is off-line
16 February 2015 03:30
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Is it that expensive?......I was thinking about the amount of money I have lost over time thanks to depreciation on my digital cameras...and that virtually every film body I own has held or increased in value over recent years.

As for film being 'risky'...not sure what is meant there...but I dev my own film so am used to things being boringly predicable.

Paul Riddell is off-line
16 February 2015 05:28
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Quote from jamesboswell
Love working with "proper" SLR cameras, you really have to think, compose and make sure the exposure is right for each shot. With a DSLR you can almost get away with anything and then sort it out on the computer.

I know I'm taking this of topic a bit, but that is such a good point you mentioned that it needs re-iterating.
And that point in my opinion is a major factor which seperates genuine professionals from the wannabes.

Its also important to add that 'you can almost get away with anything' doesn't apply really apply in professional photography. Yes you can 'almost get away with anything' at an amateur standard, but when it comes to pro photography and the critical eye of professional art editors, advertisors, retouchers etc. then no way can you at all.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

raw and the cooked is off-line
16 February 2015 05:37
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Actually, whilst I concur that the film ship has sailed, and I for one do not mourn that, I think all you upstarts who have never shot film should have a go and see how you get on! I do despair at those who think post is the answer for polishing a turd!

Jules Walker is off-line
16 February 2015 05:40
jamesboswell
Photographer

Berkshire
Bracknell

Quote from riddell
Its also important to add that 'you can almost get away with anything' doesn't apply really apply in professional photography. Yes you can 'almost get away with anything' at an amateur standard, but when it comes to pro photography and the critical eye of professional art editors, advertisors, retouchers etc. then no way can you at all.

You have misunderstood what I was trying to say.It is not that you can get away with anything and expect a client to accept this, but that if you make a mistake in the field you stand a very good chance of subsequently correcting this and ensuring that it will satisfy the client, when it is all in the digital domain.

Anthonygh is off-line
16 February 2015 06:00
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

To add to the above.....I scan my negs then work digitally from then on....and it is amazing what can be done with scanned files and Photoshop. I am still a keen film user but I wouldn't go back to using a darkroom for printing.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin DanielleWxx ElleLaura Michelledefeo1 natalie120525 Sophiadelane
bbphotos bob chriscooze claypaws Dandelion david1500 dorrian Essexjohn frankpht gazzer59 Kjoservices mike0048 sandycamel two_stops
matt