Reminder Secure

AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1.35-56G ED (DX).... Repair !!

2BridgesPhotography is off-line
05 February 2015 12:17
2BridgesPhotography
Photographer
2BridgesPhotography
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Hi Guys,

Obtained the above lens for use on my D5100, £85 off fleabay (Winning bid , so happy I got it cheap....), looks like the Auto focus has gone Pete Tong - the seller says it WAS working and may have been damaged during shipment , I have been offered a full refund etc if required so that's not an issue . Q) can anybody recommend somewhere to send for repair and any idea of costs involved - this is quite a common problem with this particular lens judging by the forums etc on the internet , but would rather get it repaired if possible. There are tutorials on how to fix it myself which i'm sure i could do (steady hands etc lol) . but thoughts welcome.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 February 2015 12:25
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Fixation's website says between £35-£140 (+ parts cost), and then VAT.

Considering you can buy a brand new Nikon 18-105 with VR for ~£205 it seems a bit daft spending any money on repairing a used lens that's both that cheap and would make it so close to the price of a new one IMO.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Kevin W is onlineSilver Member
05 February 2015 20:17
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

DIY lens repair can be very tricky. I know from experience. Personally I would suggest working on (and messing up) a few scrap lenses over several months before tackling one costing £85.

I think the only sensible option is to return it to the sender and get a refund and then look for another Nikon 18-105 lens that is in full working order. If you bought one for £85 that must be more or less its market value. However probably worth about £15-25 without autofocus working?
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
missloulou NatashaAston
analog carshaltonkev empire17 FusionImages JohnDentonPhoto redtail Steveh32 woody