25 January 2015 07:10
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

Hi

Thanks for the responses

I've tried several standard sd cards in the cf adapter and they all work fine so can't see that being the problem though I had read about incompatability problems hense was aprehensive of trying out eyefi's to begin with

Had a quick response from eyefi, their customer service are saying that it could be down to not using a genuine reader. I've tried the eyefi in two non genuine readers, one wouldn't read the card, the other also wouldn't read it unless it was inserted ito the cf adapter. Eyefi have requested my full address and have said they will send a complimentry genuine eyei reader so hopefully that will work but will let you know the results

panda49 is online
25 January 2015 08:27
panda49
Photographer

London
London/Birmingham

I was one of the origina; beta tester before they were released have ha dseveral cards and no problems However the latest 32Gb mobi I had fell apart literally but was replaced instantly free of charge I suggest you try using a card reader that usually helps if not contact them they usually very helpful and quick on any issues

Amazon

I purposely avoid ebay for anything "that matters" though have Googled searched this problem and looks like I'm not the first, have mailed eyfi and await a response

First ever cf/sd card failure I've had in 12 years of digital and comming straight out of the packet hasn't given me much confidence in the product

Carpe Diem is off-line
27 January 2015 10:13
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

Good news

The complimentary eyefi card reader that was very quickly dispatched arrived this morning and reads the mobi card with no problems so just thought I'd say that it wasn't a card failure and is compatable with a 5DII with latest firmware and an extreeme sd to cf adapter. Eyefi customer services responded in a timely fashion and were very helpful

Just a side note, while testing this out at various distances:

Laptop in living room shots taken at the bottom of my garden approx 50 feet through the building - nothing
" " shots taken in my garage approx 50/40 and 30 feet through two buildings - nothing
" " in my bedroom (bungalow) approx 20 feet through a wall - nothing

Mobi conects and transfers to laptop reasonably quickly no further than 8 or 9 feet away so in general if you decide to buy one of these, shoot a picture while standing reasonably close to your laptop (or connect manually) then lay your camera next to it for best results.

The CF extreeme adapter does have metal side plates that I will remove and test again as I've read this may cause interference

Another side note, once the mobi has been removed from my camera and read by the card reader in my pc then the card returned to the camera, the camera will only read images that are already on the card intermittently

Would be great if someone with a slr that takes sd cards without a cf adapter could add connection distances as a refrence for other users

Thanks

Colin H is off-lineSilver Member
28 January 2015 09:16
thelook
Photographer
thelook
Berkshire

I do a lot of Black Tie Mobile Studio Events.
I've used Eyefi cards since their first cards and I'm still using the X2 model.

My set up uses a PC and Router which connects to the card. Initially used in a Nikon D80 and now in a Nikon D600.
Range depends on a number of factors such as WiFi useage in the area, walls, and the Bands Wireless Mics etc.

On a good day I've had a range of around 50ft (in a clear school hall) and on a bad day around 3ft.
To be honest, I usually have an average of around 10 - 15ft at a fair speed, which is more than enough for Events Photography.

I do find tranfer speed drops before the signal is lost so you can balance range against tranfer speeds.

I've often thought about buying the Nikon Wireless Unit but, as Eyefi works so well, it's an outlay I do not need to make. Plus its not really wireless as it is connects to the camera by a wire.

Not sure if all this helps but at least it's here.....
When the world whispers 'give up, a fool will say 'I'll give it one more try'.....

Matthew G is off-line
30 January 2015 12:42
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

The best solution that I have found for a Canon DSLR us an App called DSLRController along with a TP Link wifi connector that connects to your camera via the usb cable. The range is incredible.

The entire setup costs less than £50 and you don;t have to worry about what eyefi cards to use in your camera. You can easily shoot Raw + Jpeg and just transfer the Jpeg to your tablet / phone or laptop.

Festival Studio is off-lineSilver Member
30 January 2015 17:50
Festival_Studio
Studio

Essex
Canvey Island

Thought I'd just read that the mobi cards were for phone or iPad and that if you wanted to use a laptop or desktop you should use the non-mobi version.... Can't refind the story though...

Will is off-line
01 February 2015 10:22
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

My Pro X2 card came with a reader and clear instructions that you must use the EyeFi card reader. The Mobi has similar details. If you do not use something in the way that the manufacturers tell you to then problems can arise that are user rather than equipment failure.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

Carpe Diem is off-line
02 February 2015 04:25
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

I've actually used it a few times now and think it's an alright bit of kit although a bit of a hindrence as I found the laptop drawing my attention, best use is to get setup then switch it off as I don't really need too see every image

Quote from Photoimager
My Pro X2 card came with a reader and clear instructions that you must use the EyeFi card reader. The Mobi has similar details. If you do not use something in the way that the manufacturers tell you to then problems can arise that are user rather than equipment failure.

This is the first eyefi card I've bought
You obviously don't own a mobi?
It came stuck to a piece of card with absolutely NO instructions or rather "insert card" "install app" "take photos" "view everywhere". Says nothing anywhere on the packaging about readers mind or card

Edit: Thanks fo those who have posted distances and alternatives, it is helpful

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Lilly_69 Lushlolly pollyannahale Sophiasmith tashaholz
diphoto Djanimation djb1 dorrian Dphphotography edb Essexjohn KrissB Ladiesman michaelangelo modelboutique panda49 photostevo pierre Rscott360 russb steve7962
Matt