Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2015 15:16
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Some articles that may be useful here..

http://photography-coach.co.uk/articles/
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Alan Johnson is off-line
23 January 2015 06:23
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Hi Jason,
In my experience,  learning is best done when there is a mix of experience and no experience.  Whilst I understand the idea of working TF with a model at a similar stage,  it probably won't deliver much value to either of you.  My advice, in addition to workshops and/or tutorials,  would be to find a local model with a good deal of experience and spend time working with them.  Admittedly you may well be paying them,  but that is a good investment that will pay long term dividends.

I paid for a portrait workshop,  which was probably the best training I ever got in photography.  We didn't have any models as such,  but posed for each other.  It gave me some insight into what it is like in front of the camera,  which has been very useful in most other genres.

Possibly more than any other people genre,  portrait photography is very much 'less is more'.  Clutter is your enemy.
What you include and what you exclude from a portrait are equally important.

Have you tried setting up a shoot with model, (live or using a dummy), staying still and your camera on a tripod,  taking a series of shots at different apertures?  If not,  it may be a good exercise to try.
I'm sure you know the rule that 'the bigger the number, the smaller the hole and the greater the depth of field'.  By using a smaller numbered aperture,  you can often blur out distractions and increase the impact of the subject.

Composition may well be improved if you revisit 'the rule of thirds'.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Katie Soze is off-line
03 April 2015 20:14
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
South Yorkshire

You have potential of course, but I think you should stop using the same post processing on every single one of your shots. It makes your port look like one sea of low contrast BW.
I won't quibble about your notes.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz lukaszmarcinkowski rscott360