Reminder Secure

Panoramic landscape tools.

Anthonygh is off-line
05 January 2015 08:37
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Some months ago someone posted a link to a device which allowed a camera to be attached and it could be set to take exposures automatically as it mechanically panned through a sequence of shots as determined by the photographer. Anyone know the device I am refering to and the manuacturer?

I am also looking to stich MF film images together. I experimented a bit using PShop and a couple of images that I created for the purpose and the results were reasonable, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend better software...or is PS as good as it gets for this purpose?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 January 2015 08:44
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It was a Gigapan (I think I posted about it)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

05 January 2015 08:45
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

There's several models for various camera sizes although I'd only consider the biggie.

www.gigapan.com
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Anthonygh is off-line
05 January 2015 08:48
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Cheers.....it was you come to think of it!! I am thinking of buying a smaller one to use with a Canon G1X...see how it goes!!

05 January 2015 08:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Here's where I posted about it

Dave Beasley is off-line
05 January 2015 11:53
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Many times have I looked at Gigapan and almost bought the equipment/software but at around £800 I then think of the lens that would go some way towards, so I still don't have Gigapan, but would love to hear from anyone who has actually taken the plunge and bought it.

Dave

05 January 2015 11:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The problem is with that train of thought is that in all honesty, most of us probably have lenses that cover what we'd probably buy. For example.... I'd like the 135mm f2 L (about £800) but my 70-200 F2.8 IS L does cover its range and is not too far from the 135 in terms of performance. The Gigapan on the other hand is something totally different in my arsenal and would give me another form of photography to explore (all my other stuff is model/portait biased).

Dave Beasley is off-line
05 January 2015 12:04
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

You're absolutely right Redchecker - in fact my last lens purchase, only about 3 months ago was the 135/f2L, so I now have an 85mm, 100mm L macro, 135/f2, 24-105L, and 70-200 f2.8 L Mk2 - yep, I'm a sucker for a new lens!

Unfortunately when it comes to decision time, I always end up thinking that another lens will get more use than a flash-in-the-(Giga) pan purchase.

05 January 2015 12:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm attracted to the Gigapan because of the sheer size of the images that can be produced as I've always found single-shot landscapes disappointing on my cameras (nowhere near enough resolution, especially if wanting panoramic crops).

I could envisage that the Gigapan would be a good money-maker in the right hands.

MARK WALDEN is off-line
05 January 2015 12:58
markwalden
Photographer
markwalden
Staffordshire
BURNTWOOD

As for the software I have now purchased the Autopano Giga software and have been using for the past month and have found that it works much better than the other software that I used to use (PTGui) I did have a playaround with the panoramic software in PS, but sometimes it was not very good at all which is why I used the PTGui software before getting the Autopano Giga software. There was an image that I took back in May 2013 while I was in Paris that the PTGui software was not able to stitch it together, but using the Autopano Giga software it was no problem at all. I take most of my panoramic images hand held unless done a night when I would use a panoramic head that I brought of Ebay.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa ElleLaura Firstd jo80
andygstudios anochecer Blancho bradder Cheshunt83 clearview_photography DavidN digiwarp diphoto donaldmac dorrian grahamsphotography joolsy Kiboko Kjoservices Matt1988 Moodie moritz78 MrDL MrNorris1989 Platidonio royi2002 rscott360 simon_palmer stephenmuddell stevegosh steveh32 Studio1 tms