Reminder Secure

CR2 to JPEG?

29 December 2014 15:46
emmwood
Model

Hey all!

I've shot about 6 weddings this year as 2nd camera (assistant tog?) on a Canon 7D (belongs to the photographer who gets the gigs) but the files are all in raw format, and being a Nikon person, I don't have the Canon software that comes with their cameras!

Advice please on best way to batch these to JPEG so I can see them to be able to choose best ones to work with?

Thanks in advance!

marlham is off-line
29 December 2014 15:48
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Adobe Lightroom would be one way. You can install a 30 day free trial.

And if you're going to be doing many weddings in future it's perfect for the job and well worth the subscription price. It also supports Nikon as well as many other RAW formats.

salfordtog is off-line
29 December 2014 16:18
salfordtog
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Either Lightroom, Aperture if on a Mac no matter what is said about it changing or you can download Canon's own software from web.

But for quality stick with RAW files don't edit in JPEG

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
29 December 2014 16:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Google Picasa can read CR2 files iirc and is free although I can't remember if it can batch process.

Irfanview can batch process files iirc (again it's free)

It may be worth checking Canon's website as their DPP software (Digital Photo Professional) may be a free download as well.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
29 December 2014 16:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

But yes, Lightroom's arguably the best if you have access to it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is off-line
29 December 2014 16:31
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

At its current price, Lightroom is worth buying straight away.

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
29 December 2014 17:10
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from emmwood
Hey all! I've shot about 6 weddings this year as 2nd camera (assistant tog?) on a Canon 7D (belongs to the photographer who gets the gigs) but the files are all in raw format, and being a Nikon person, I don't have the Canon software that comes with their cameras! Advice please on best way to batch these to JPEG so I can see them to be able to choose best ones to work with? Thanks in advance!

You do not need to convert to jpeg in order to see them. All the programs suggested above will show the raw image file as is. If you want to add another and have a p[owerful enough computer the OnOne Perfect suite now has a built in browser that reads raw files too. (Plust you can grade them and take those gradings over into Lightroom) Again there is a months trial.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Graham Betts is off-line
30 December 2014 05:58
graham_f8
Photographer
graham_f8
Shropshire

You can download all Canon software from their website for each camera. You get EOS utility for downloading and Digital Photo Professional as part of this which allows you to work on CR2 and convert to jpeg.

PG_Photographic is off-line
30 December 2014 06:53
PG_Photographic
Photographer

Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Unfortunately you don't say which operating system you are on.

If it is Microsoft Windows then the simplest option to be able to view the images is to download the "Microsoft Camera Codec Pack" for your Windows version which will allow you to see the thumbnails of the CR2's in explorer but also view them in Windows Photo Viewer etc.

Bill_M is off-line
30 December 2014 12:28
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Instant Jpeg from Raw (IJFR) will do what you want. It is free and very fast, as fast as just copying the files. It extracts the embedded Jpeg in the raw, and converts it to whatever size you want for viewing. Just select a raw image or group of images, right click and select the IJFR option, and it happens almost instantaneously. It is available for Mac or PC.
Links don't seem to work, so just Google it.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cody danixhale Lilly_69 lourabern Stephieb27 Teela Tom84
BOBREEVES davkit Dolayley edb FlashHarry100 GlasgowPhotographer GSC4X jpegster Ladiesman mike0048 peteb Redbaron Spiritofwales steveh32 vapourtrail
photo39