Dave Beasley is off-line
08 December 2014 17:03
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi all,

I've just splashed out on an expensive Gitzo monopod and now need to get a decent head for it. Gitzo don't appear to recommend specific heads for specific monopods so I wondered if any of you have any advice, preferably from experience.

Most likely lenses to be used are Canon 300mm f5.6 L IS and Canon 70-200 f2.8L MK2 IS

Dave

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 December 2014 19:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm more than happy with my Manfrotto 234RC tilt head. It tilts up and down but that's it, although you wouldn't want extra movement with a monopod IMO as it'll make it unstable,
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
08 December 2014 22:19
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

I've also got the 234RC head, but very rarely use it. I usually attach the lens direct to the monopod via the collar, then rotate between portrait/landscape that way.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 December 2014 03:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from EllessePhotography
I've also got the 234RC head, but very rarely use it. I usually attach the lens direct to the monopod via the collar, then rotate between portrait/landscape that way.

I don't use it to tilt between portrait/landscape (the lens collar on my 70-200 does that).  I simply use the head movement to allow the monopod to be tilted forward or backward (which can be handy in changing the height slightly if shooting portraits while still taking the bulk of the camera's weight).  It also gives a bit more freedom of movement for getting the camera level as you'd have to get it bang-on vertical if attached directly.

This video explains why a tilt head is better than (say) a ball head
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

OldMaster is off-line
17 December 2014 11:36
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I can understand the points raised re:ball heads on a monopod but I still think something like the Manfrotto locking side handle grippy ball head thingy (324/7) would work well enabling you to have a two handed grip on the monopod, particularly if you can also hold a release in one of the hands...!

marlham is off-line
17 December 2014 12:51
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from OldMaster
I can understand the points raised re:ball heads on a monopod but I still think something like the Manfrotto locking side handle grippy ball head thingy (324/7) would work well enabling you to have a two handed grip on the monopod, particularly if you can also hold a release in one of the hands...!

I have one of those. Tried using it a few times but found it awkward and cumbersome personally. It's sat in the cupboard unused for 2 or 3 years so if anyone wants to buy it off me...

I'm perfectly happy with the Manfrotto 234RC tilt head myself.

Dave Beasley is off-line
17 December 2014 13:16
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Thanks for the advice everyone - as its such a reasonable price I'm going to go for the Manfrotto 234RC to start with and see how it goes.

Dave

marlham is off-line
17 December 2014 13:22
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I also have the 234 (the version without the quick release plate) sitting in the cupboard gathering dust. If anybody wants it FOC message me and I'll happily stick it in the post.

Dave Beasley is off-line
17 December 2014 14:33
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Emailed

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asheszlynn Charlotte90 hollyrose ryansd Teela
blade01uk digartlondon edwards Eliyaksha For_Arts_Sake geoffmarchant gilesshaxted Jonnywoo julienlesage kaosrox laurencejpower markeos50d MIB photomart siclews smooth_image thelook TonyHazell