Using Hasselblad lens on Canon

Dave Beasley is off-line
28 November 2014 06:39
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I have been given a fairly old Hasselblad 50mm f4 Distagon lens which has a Canon EF adapter. The lens fits ok on my 5D MK3, and focusses manually. I can set the camera to manual, the ISO and shutter speed manually as expected, however I cannot see a way of manually stopping the lens down to the working aperture.

I can take pictures and results are good, but it looks as though everything is being taken at maximum aperture - any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Dave

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 November 2014 07:12
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I thought they had aperture selection on the lens barrel, does this not work?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is off-line
28 November 2014 07:18
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi - yes it does have aperture values and click stops round the barrel, but the lens remains wide open. As I recall from my Hasselblad wedding days, the lens only stops down when the Compur shutter fires, but in this case, I'm not using the Compur shutter.

Anthonygh is off-line
28 November 2014 08:16
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Is there a stop down button /lever for assessing dof? I was reading something about adapters a few weeks ago where one poster said the only way he got his particular lens to work was to stop the lens down with the preview lever...take a meter reading....open up to focus etc...then stop down again to take the photo. He had to hold the lever while taking the pic

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 November 2014 08:43
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from anthonyh
Is there a stop down button /lever for assessing dof? I was reading something about adapters a few weeks ago where one poster said the only way he got his particular lens to work was to stop the lens down with the preview lever...take a meter reading....open up to focus etc...then stop down again to take the photo. He had to hold the lever while taking the pic

I imagine it's electronic rather than manual these days so...............
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
28 November 2014 09:02
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

There is a stop down facility on Hasselblad lenses. On the old lenses it was an inconspicuous small bent lever on the lens. On newer models it was in the centre of a small 'square' block on the lens. Once stopped down I think you have to open the lens up to max aperture to disengage the stop down. It is albeit about 20 years since I used 'blads on a daily basis, but there is definitely a manual stop down!

Dave Beasley is off-line
28 November 2014 09:49
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from magpie1
There is a stop down facility on Hasselblad lenses. On the old lenses it was an inconspicuous small bent lever on the lens. On newer models it was in the centre of a small 'square' block on the lens. Once stopped down I think you have to open the lens up to max aperture to disengage the stop down. It is albeit about 20 years since I used 'blads on a daily basis, but there is definitely a manual stop down!

Thank you magpie - spot on with this, there is a very small, innocuous little lever on the barrel which when pressed, stops the lens down once focussed and ready to shoot. Aperture is then opened up by turning aperture ring to maximum aperture, when lever pops up again.

I've taken a few shots in the street, just need a nice model now…..

Thanks everybody for your help

Dave

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 November 2014 12:41
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from eosfan
Thank you magpie - spot on with this...

cheeky

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
28 November 2014 12:57
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Thank you very much, very glad to help. Amazed I got 2 memory cells to fire off together!

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
butt3rflyxxx firessecret Thejesta
djb1 gazzer59 GSPhotography humphries modelboutique soulc stevegosh swalsh58