marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Sophiehotlips
Why do the photographers then not offer their own homes

For the simple reason that if they did every model they shot there would have the same setting.

Quote from Sophiehotlips
I totally agree with this my house certainly isn't a showroom its lived in but obviously takes time to prepare I'm quite surprised more models don't charge as you say a studio would be far more expensive.

The cost of a studio is irrelevant - if a photographer wanted to shoot in a studio he would but the ambience of a studio is different - even if it had boudoir sets available studios tend to be cold for the model to work in (especially this time of year) and that shows in the photos. They're also comparatively expensive.

A more sensible comparison would be the cost of a budget hotel room. Typically £40 - perhaps less depending on the area. And you can generally accomodate 2 or even 3 shoots during the period of a booking. But I think you will also find that a significant proportion of photographers shooting in hotels do so because they're staying there in connection with their day job - and therefore it's being paid for by their employer, not them.

At the end of the day if a photographer wants a model who can shoot in their home he has plenty of choice available. And models who do so enjoy the fact that they don't have to spend time away from home. If anything their rates tend to be at the 'very reasonable' end of the market. Being able to shoot at home will get you more shoots but it won't enable you to charge a higher rate - if anything your rate might need to decrease as you're entering a very competitive end of the market.

marlham is off-line
28 November 2014 03:48
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Another thing to consider is that many photographers regard models who are able to shoot in their own homes to be much more reliable. Less chance of them cancelling at the last minute or no-showing altogether. Which generally makes such models more readily bookable.

Whereas expecting that same model to travel to a location - studio or wherever - doesn't present the same level of assurance regarding her potential reliability.

So it's not so much that the photographer is seeking to save on costs by shooting in her home (other than those which he might incur if he booked a studio and the model no-showed), but moreso that he's seeking to minimise his chances of being let down.

Elaine  is off-lineSilver Member
29 November 2014 03:49
seeryder
Model
seeryder
West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Most of my bookings are now home shoots. I was worried at first as to just who I was letting in to my house, but I have only had one weirdo so far. I can usually tell from the enquiry if they have other ideas & then I just say I am not available. Doing a home shoot means I can get myself ready & have lots of clothes/outfits if needed.
It is often better for the photographers , cheaper than a studio & they don't have to worry about the lighting. Most of the pics on my profile are done at home..

Kizer is off-lineSilver Member
29 November 2014 07:06
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quote from mph
TFH  (Time for Hoover?)  No mug that girl!

Mind you, I had one model who shot at my house complain it was too clean - you can't win! 

If you want to come and clean my house your welcome to do so

Paul Hodson is off-line
29 November 2014 07:56
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Kizer
If you want to come and clean my house your welcome to do so

Will you take my photo?  surprise (and don't push my levels!)

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

G Jack B is off-line
29 November 2014 09:46
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from Sophiehotlips
Wow well I wasn't expecting such a response, the reason I asked about a charge is because at the end of the day you are letting someone who you don't always know into the privacy of your own home, your saving them a lot of money by not shooting in a hotel or studio so hardly think its that unreasonable to charge a small fee. It also takes time and effort to prepare your home, takes me 10mins to pack a bag of clothes takes me at least 2 hours to sort my house out. Why do the photographers then not offer their own homes??? I won't be charging now myself so as not to loose certain jobs, but I don't see why it would be an issue.

I shoot from my place quite a lot.  I also pick up models from station etc.  So yes it saves on costs, but then I would just shoot less if that was the case.

If you had a room set up as  a studio then that might be different, but as has been said shooting from your home you save travel costs & time.

So pretty much quid pro quo..sad
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Jessicaliu1993 joann2 Lushlolly natpenelope Natural_happy_girl
antoinewynn bayford bob22 clarmike dby47 Don_Dark edwards ImageStyle johnmphoto kai_kul Kjoservices lambiepie71 mlp philippahh pvfb scott24 smphotographic steveh32 stuartnoo totalpics
harbourstudio