Home Shoot Rates? /Advice

Paul J is off-line
27 November 2014 08:42
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

i remember seeing a casting from a very established model asking for an additional cash contribution towards her electric bill should the photographer wish to use mains powered flash. i cannot help but feel that this comes across as being a little bit cheeky & had the potential to put people off working with her.

please do listen to the advice regarding checking referenences etc & be sure you're comfortable with the person that you're letting into your home. over the years i have heard the occasional story about photographers having to be physically thrown out of the model's home (by the model herself) or turning up unannounced later on.

good luck
..... and your legs are too short, I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 November 2014 08:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Paul_J
i remember seeing a casting from a very established model asking for an additional cash contribution towards her electric bill should the photographer wish to use mains powered flash. i cannot help but feel that this comes across as being a little bit cheeky & had the potential to put people off working with her.

In a way it is a bit cheeky but when you consider that some photographers will want to use hotlights (which could be several kW for the entire kit), it's understandable, so if she charged say £5 for the day I wouldn't gripe (which would cover the use of say, four redheads).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul J is off-line
27 November 2014 08:51
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

Quote from RedChecker
In a way it is a bit cheeky but when you consider that some photographers will want to use hotlights (which could be several kW for the entire kit), it's understandable, so if she charged say £5 for the day I wouldn't gripe (which would cover the use of say, four redheads).

if i remember correctly, it was £5p/h!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 November 2014 08:54
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Thankfully it wouldn't bother me as all my stuff's battery powered
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
27 November 2014 10:37
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Paul_J

please do listen to the advice regarding checking references etc & be sure you're comfortable with the person that you're letting into your home. over the years i have heard the occasional story about photographers having to be physically thrown out of the model's home (by the model herself) or turning up unannounced later on.

Certainly one of the riskier types of shoot. It seems intuitively that you are safer in your own home than the photographer's - but at least if you go to him, you (and anyone you tell) know where he lives!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Chrissie Red is off-line
27 November 2014 12:37
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from Paul_J

If its an all day shoot I don't think £5 on top of her fee is unreasonable (maybe not per hour though). I personally didn't charge more however if the space is good then its still working out as being cheaper than a studio even if its £5 per hour. We don't all live in showhomes so as well as getting herself ready she probably does have to spend an hour or so clearing clutter before a home shoot. 

There is a model on here who shoots from home and not only will it cost her in electricity she regurlarly updates the sets/rooms - so asking for an extra fee on top to me isn't "cheeky" and if anything having such a wonderful space and location to shoot from for £10 an hour extra is amazing value. If you were to rent a similar home for a day to shoot from it would cost a lot more.

Paul J is off-line
27 November 2014 17:26
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

Quote from Chrissie_Red
If its an all day shoot I don't think £5 on top of her fee is unreasonable (maybe not per hour though). I personally didn't charge more however if the space is good then its still working out as being cheaper than a studio even if its £5 per hour. We don't all live in showhomes so as well as getting herself ready she probably does have to spend an hour or so clearing clutter before a home shoot. 

There is a model on here who shoots from home and not only will it cost her in electricity she regurlarly updates the sets/rooms - so asking for an extra fee on top to me isn't "cheeky" and if anything having such a wonderful space and location to shoot from for £10 an hour extra is amazing value. If you were to rent a similar home for a day to shoot from it would cost a lot more.

i do appreciate her hourly rate for electricity could simply be changed into a charge for the use of premises & when compared to studio hire now doesn't look unreasonable.  but, in fairness, that isn't how her casting was worded & i still do feel, given she's already getting £40ph, making additional profit from a photographer by selling them electricity is, well, a little bit unnecessary (or cheeky!).  if you're accomodating the shoot surely giving a little bit of free electricity isn't too much to ask?

to relate that to the original poster, it's probable making any additional charge for the use of her home would cost her bookings (and reduce her overall income) as there will always be photographers who simply don't want to pay it.

if a model is in the fortunate position that she can design sets or re-decorate rooms with the idea of using them for shoots in mind, then that's fantastic & she has fair right to seek an additional hire fee (especially if she's laid out her own cash to create somewhere that benefits photographers).

but maybe that highlights that a little extra effort is required rather than working from a 'normal' family home to justify asking for a hire charge?

Sophie is off-line
27 November 2014 19:23
Sophiehotlips
Model
This member has been suspended
Sophiehotlips
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Wow well I wasn't expecting such a response, the reason I asked about a charge is because at the end of the day you are letting someone who you don't always know into the privacy of your own home, your saving them a lot of money by not shooting in a hotel or studio so hardly think its that unreasonable to charge a small fee.
It also takes time and effort to prepare your home, takes me 10mins to pack a bag of clothes takes me at least 2 hours to sort my house out.
Why do the photographers then not offer their own homes???
I won't be charging now myself so as not to loose certain jobs, but I don't see why it would be an issue.

Sophie is off-line
27 November 2014 19:27
Sophiehotlips
Model
This member has been suspended
Sophiehotlips
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Quote from Chrissie_Red

I totally agree with this my house certainly isn't a showroom its lived in but obviously takes time to prepare I'm quite surprised more models don't charge as you say a studio would be far more expensive.

Paul Hodson is off-line
28 November 2014 02:18
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Sophiehotlips

I totally agree with this my house certainly isn't a showroom its lived in but obviously takes time to prepare I'm quite surprised more models don't charge as you say a studio would be far more expensive.

More time than travelling to and from a studio to say nothing of the fare? I doubt it.

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Faye Sarahlou73 Winterlilly
bbphotos Belemboo Cheshunt83 ElegantCaptures flawless_photo funky gordon hylander Impulse_Images JRFox mamamiya Matt1988 orca_photography panda49 redbaron skymouse Swyftie vincentm1980