Sophie is off-line
26 November 2014 18:05
Sophiehotlips
Model
This member has been suspended
Sophiehotlips
Greater Manchester
Manchester

I've been asked by a few photographers if I can do shoots from home, question is do you charge extra for this, what would you say is reasonable , as its cheaper than a hotel.

Also any do's or don't??

Thanks

marlham is off-line
26 November 2014 18:25
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Lots of models are able to shoot in their home. Personally I've never encountered a single model who charged extra for the use of it.

As ever taking up references and talking directly to models the photographer has worked with, rather than relying on public references, is important.

If you do it regularly you're quite likely to get some raised eyebrows amongst your neighbours!

Pictures of the rooms you have available to shoot in are always useful.

Sophie is off-line
26 November 2014 18:33
Sophiehotlips
Model
Sophiehotlips
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure about the charging or not, yes can imagine my neighbors will be gossiping. Lol x

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 November 2014 18:35
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've never encountered charging and I've done quite a few shoots in models' homes.

From a photographer's point of view it's an added bonus and for many of us it's an attractive proposition as it not only saves the agro of finding somewhere but also keeps costs down.

From the model's point of view it lets them stay in bed longer, they don't have to get ready to go out, there's no travelling and the associated costs with it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

marlham is off-line
26 November 2014 18:54
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Sophiehotlips
...yes can imagine my neighbors will be gossiping. Lol x

Most photographers will want to use flash unless your place is particularly well blessed with good natural light. And unless you've got thick curtains that flash is gonna draw attention from up to half a mile away every time it pops!

Sophie is off-line
26 November 2014 18:54
Sophiehotlips
Model
Sophiehotlips
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Well true yes you do get to stay in bed longer haha. Thats that cleared up then.

Sophie is off-line
26 November 2014 18:57
Sophiehotlips
Model
Sophiehotlips
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Quote from marlhamphoto
Most photographers will want to use flash unless your place is particularly well blessed with good natural light. And unless you've got thick curtains that flash is gonna draw attention from up to half a mile away every time it pops!

Good point back room it is then, might have to get some new blinds.

Razoir is off-line
27 November 2014 08:39
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

I think it is reasonable BUT as said by the others: it is not usual practice.
The advantages cut both ways, cheaper etc. for the photographer and more convenient for the model. No number of suitcases is ever going to contain ALL of your clothes!
Home shoots can be a pain if you are after a very particular look and there is not enough room for the lights etc. for that look but the advantages far outweigh the inconvenience.
I like home shoots and will definitely look with extra favour on a model who can shoot from home.
Due to a poor satnav I was 40 minutes late for a shoot yesterday. If that was a home shoot the model would have been in her own home, not on a drafty railway station.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 November 2014 08:46
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It should also go without saying but if you're going to shoot from your home, it needs to be presentable. No dirty knickers & socks lying around, no fag butts & half empty glasses on furniture, if you've got children the toys need to be put away out of sight etc. etc. It really needs to be spotless and free of clutter (as it will show & annoy in the photos).

It's almost comical to say but I know one photographer who told me he vacuumed & tidied a model's home while she getting ready for the first hour of the shoot as it was that bad. Poor sod, LOL!
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
27 November 2014 09:35
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
It should also go without saying but if you're going to shoot from your home, it needs to be presentable. No dirty knickers & socks lying around, no fag butts & half empty glasses on furniture, if you've got children the toys need to be put away out of sight etc. etc. It really needs to be spotless and free of clutter (as it will show & annoy in the photos). It's almost comical to say but I know one photographer who told me he vacuumed & tidied a model's home while she getting ready for the first hour of the shoot as it was that bad. Poor sod, LOL!

TFH  (Time for Hoover?)  No mug that girl!

Mind you, I had one model who shot at my house complain it was too clean - you can't win! 

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin RedXXX tanyacox toxicinnocence
ad360photo alanbassettphotography alexo anthonyh antoinewynn azurphotos bilingbo copperbronze diphoto djb1 ellessephotography eosfan freddie geoffmarchant GSC4X jamesboswell kimsandman2 Kjoservices liteangle mlp oro rscott360 shadowtime74 Steveh32 Steveharratt