Any Epson 3880 experts here?

Chris is off-line
15 November 2014 15:53
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Before I spend a fortune on the phone to Epson support, I thought I would be best asking here. I finally got around to buying a new printer, the Epson 3880. The problem is it is stuck on A4 printing. I have gone over the print settings over and over, I have it set to A6 to save ink while testing it. A6 to A6 paper and clicked on apply and ok etc etc, clicked the preview box after wasting ink and paper, so to check before printing, but it still wants to print at A4 size to A6 paper. Even though the settings say A6 to A6 paper, which is what I want.

I read all the settings in the dialog box to confirm the settings and I can't see anything wrong, but it's still not telling the printer the correct instructions. Also, no centre box to tick, so prints are not printing in the centre. Should I try re-intalling the drivers? Or does anyone know what else could be wrong. I must get this problem sorted, before trying A2 paper. I can't afford to waste that much money. I gave up this evening, as I have other things I must do tonight, so frustrating

Seriously peed off.  Can anyone help? 

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
15 November 2014 16:25
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

PC or Mac? There is a 144 page PDF on the Epson usa web site.

Chris is off-line
16 November 2014 06:25
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from magpie1
PC or Mac? There is a 144 page PDF on the Epson usa web site.

Sorry, PC. I have read the manual which is a large pdf, and there's nothing in there that I'm doing wrong, that I can see. It may be a driver fault. When I used it last night, I did three A5 prints, the a couple of A4, but then I wanted to start doing A6 prints to test without wasting too much ink, but it just wasn't having it. Then I thought well I'll just go back to doing some more A5 prints, but it wasn't having that either, it was just stuck on doing A4 prints. I tried turning everything off and on again, but no, still the same. My computer's not old either, bought it 18 months ago. It's really quite gutting, because you buy brand new, you want good results, not hassle. Thanks, I will look to see if that pdf is different to the one I have already.

cheeky

marlham is off-line
16 November 2014 06:33
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Are your document's print settings being managed by the printer driver or by your application (eg Photoshop). It sounds as if you might be trying to change your printer settings via the driver whilst they're actually being managed by the application. Something to consider anyway

Anthonygh is off-line
16 November 2014 08:39
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I can only speak from a Mac perspective and a R2880.

First, have you downloaded the latest drivers from Epson? It never harms to trash what you have and start from scratch. When you have done that, check all the settings and ensure you don't have any defaults set.

Do you have any other software that you can use to control the printer? If so, it might be worth giving it a try.

I would be very surprised if it isn't a driver or setting error. If you are really stuck...try fredmirand.com for advice....loads of people on that site have R3880s!!

Pict is off-line
16 November 2014 14:46
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

I have 2 of these and getting an accurate print out of them has always been quite straightforward. Without having the driver in front of me I'm talking from memory but assuming you are printing from PS you can adjust size, profile, speed and quality all in the print driver and then even save them as a setting if you want. Remember that PhotoShop will show the centre image option if you chose print with preview and you can set your paper size in print preferences if you wish. As has been said already decide of you want PS to control the printer and select perceptual in the preview box. Btw its even easier to get it right by sending prints via LR as it will save all your settings for you as a default.

Pict is off-line
16 November 2014 14:48
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

Ps Epson support will be free (well 10p a minute) as you have a large format printer

Chris is off-line
16 November 2014 15:05
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from marlhamphoto
Are your document's print settings being managed by the printer driver or by your application (eg Photoshop). It sounds as if you might be trying to change your printer settings via the driver whilst they're actually being managed by the application. Something to consider anyway

Thanks for that. I have been using gimp, but I have been opening the print options through the printer properties, and that does open the driver settings for me. I have even saved my settings in the driver, but I will go through everything advised here on the forum.

Cheers.  

Chris is off-line
16 November 2014 15:15
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from anthonyh
I can only speak from a Mac perspective and a R2880. First, have you downloaded the latest drivers from Epson? It never harms to trash what you have and start from scratch. When you have done that, check all the settings and ensure you don't have any defaults set. Do you have any other software that you can use to control the printer? If so, it might be worth giving it a try. I would be very surprised if it isn't a driver or setting error. If you are really stuck...try fredmirand.com for advice....loads of people on that site have R3880s!!

Thank, yes. Because the disc which came with it was Windows 7 drivers, I had go to the epson site to get the drivers for Windows 8. I may have to try installing them again, see if that works. Yes, the default settings may work. Like I mentioned though, it did print A5, but then it decided not to, and is stuck on A4. The only other software I have to print is the micrsoft, my Nikon capture won't work with the driver, so that is odd. I will be getting Lightroom, so hopefully that will solve the problem, fingers crossed. Thanks for that link too.

Chris is off-line
16 November 2014 15:35
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Pict
I have 2 of these and getting an accurate print out of them has always been quite straightforward. Without having the driver in front of me I'm talking from memory but assuming you are printing from PS you can adjust size, profile, speed and quality all in the print driver and then even save them as a setting if you want. Remember that PhotoShop will show the centre image option if you chose print with preview and you can set your paper size in print preferences if you wish. As has been said already decide of you want PS to control the printer and select perceptual in the preview box. Btw its even easier to get it right by sending prints via LR as it will save all your settings for you as a default.

Yes, what is odd, you have the box which comes up next to the settings box, which comfirms all of the settings, size, quality, layout etc etc, and they are all correct, but then it doesn't do what it has comfirmed it will do. It is like it is saying, yes to everything I ask, but then does something else instead. That actual preview box shows it to be dead centre even though there is no centred box to tick, but then prints it off centre. I have had my old epson 2100 for about ten years, and the settings are quite similar but I had no trouble with that. I don't use Photoshhop by the way, but will use Lightroom soon. Fingers crossed that will solve this for me. I'm waiting for epson to get their fingers out, and give me my freebee. I did buy the printer before the end of last month, sent them a copy of my receipt as proof, the printer was just delivered to me late. I have a feeling I will have to phone them, as I have had nothing back from them about it, apart from the free tablet. I am still within the date to claim the software y'see.

Thanks.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs chandni23 chloejade25 Lilly_69 Natalie120525 poppylapilule zavego
ad360photo Blancho cwillyshootit djb1 ellessephotography gordon Kjoservices liteangle mlp modelboutique peteb redmedia rod_m99 Rtnphotography scottmcccxiv Steveh32 thelook
harbourstudio