This thread is being watched by 1 person
Matthew G is off-line
16 November 2014 07:50
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from RedChecker
They're saying 2015 because if you look at the 5D timeline another one is almost due. There's also the fact that the competition from Nikon is very strong and regardless of whether or not it's a benefit, there are people out there who will be craving a high-MP camera from Canon and would be willing to jump ship.

Yeah just checked. If the others are anything to go by they seem to renew once every 3 1/2 years. If that is the case I think you'd be looking at the end of next year. Whilst Nikon are upping their mexapixels, Sony are lowering their's with the A7S. I would have thought that the workd really was over the megapixel battle now and perhaps moved on to the pixel density one... Although its harder to explain to general folk that sometimes its quality not quantity! :-) 

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 November 2014 08:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

With the lenses that Canon have been releasing in the last few years it would make sense to up the resolution of the bodies as the resolving power of the lenses is getting better all the time (the mk2 24-70 and 70-200 lenses are supposed to be superb and hopefully this new 100-400 follows that trend). And even if the lenses didn't resolve to a higher resolution, the fact is that the simplest of comparisons between cameras will inevitably boil down to pixels (certainly the likes of stock photographers will have come up against this). For professionals as well it would be good to see a Canon equivalent of the 800E (ie. no AA filter).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

18 November 2014 19:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

This is interesting, especially as there's rumours flying around that Canon may be using Sony sensors for their next pro bodies...

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/11/new-sony-sensor-may-offer-21-stops-dynamic-range-5120-base-iso
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
20 November 2014 13:52
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

A few of the biggest jumps for me between the Mark 3 over the Mark 2 were the 61 point AF system, improved low light & less noise at higher ISO and the introduction of the dual card slots (which gives a lot of security if 1 card plays up)

I have no idea what Canon would think would be the next things in a Canon Mark 4 but my guess would be for it to keep up with (& possibly pass) the specs of the recent 7D Mark 2 for speed processing e.g. dual processors allowing fast burst rates (the 7D mark 2 has up to 10fps and something like 31 frames Raw and up to the end of the card for Jpegs). This would thus be a full frame camera suitable for sports & other fast movement etc.

I guess they may manage some improvements to AF although the Mark 3 is great with its 61 AF points but if they can improve this to be better with slower lenses (e.g. at f5.6 or f8 when using extenders) this would be great

On the video side I am guessing it will go 4K

Obviously one would expect other tweaks such as inbuilt GPS and probably wi-fi

Profile Pictures is off-line
24 November 2014 00:28
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

How about something handy and cheap? Buttons which illuminate in the dark?

24 November 2014 07:01
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

One thing that could be handy is DOF information on the telly on the back. Minolta's Dynax 7 35mm film camera had this years ago IIRC.

Or taking it a stage further... the ability to automatically go to the hyperfocal distance (allowing for a slight margin of error to account for lens & temperature variations of the elements).

24 November 2014 07:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

And following on from a post I saw on FB this morning... a 'silent' mode would be handy (the EOS 7 (35mm film) had this years ago whereby they made the mirror move slowly in order to reduce the 'thud' of it).

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Misslily
ansonphotography DP_Imagery eosfan geoffmarchant gwentman hazy jas kingfisher Kjoservices Ladiesman marty55uk panda49 redbaron Spiritofwales theworkshopstudio
barlowstudios