Reminder Secure

Advice needed regarding a shoot. Should I stay or should I go?!!

Jesfish is off-line
13 November 2014 10:37
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from marlhamphoto
When I activate my out-of-office settings I'm given the option to auto-respond EITHER once only OR every time an email is received from a particular address.

I didn't know this.  It doesn't actually say it's an automated response though, it's just worded like one. 

Surely someone who has a shoot arranged would check their emails the day before just to confirm?  Especially as this has been the only form of communicaton.

Jesfish is off-line
13 November 2014 10:42
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from carshaltonkev
I thought experienced professional models went by their gut feeling. If something feels wrong to you with all your experience, chances are you are not imagining it

Hence me asking for advice.  I usually feel confident that a shoot is legitimate or I don't.  Rarely am I not sure.

The more I think about it though, the more I feel like there's something not right.  Thanks for the support Purestormers! 

marlham is off-line
13 November 2014 10:43
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from jes
I didn't know this.  It doesn't actually say it's an automated response though, it's just worded like one. 

Surely someone who has a shoot arranged would check their emails the day before just to confirm?  Especially as this has been the only form of communicaton.

It's pretty standard.

Usually you're presented with a template message which includes a statement that it's automated. But as soon as you over-write the template it's down to whatever the sender wants to say. And that's all you'll get.

At the end of the day though if you cancel due to him being unobtainable then I wouldn't feel bad about it even if the issues he's mentioned in the automated message prove to be genuine. If he's decent he'll understand your predicament too.

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
13 November 2014 11:00
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Try using another email address to contact him to see if you get the same "automated" response. It might be worth setting up a new Hotmail address (if you don't have an alternative) just to see if it really is an automated reply. If it isn't then he certainly mucking you about!

I think sooner or later you will get an answer along the lines of, "Sorry I am going to have to cancel the shoot because Granny is seriously ill". You might have to wait until tomorrow to get it. If he gets a kick out of mucking models about, he will leave it to the last minute- or maybe not at all and just won't show up. Then he will say- we must rearrange- and you should tell him to get lost!
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

13 November 2014 11:20
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London

What I forgot to mention is that an Automated Reply will ping back immediately. So if he took any time to reply, it was not an automated reply. And if it was not an automated reply, he is mucking you about.
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
13 November 2014 12:17
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

It's the lack of a phone number which should ring alarm bells as much as anything else Jes. If a model I'm arranging a shoot with ignores my request for a contact number it definitely rings alarm bells with me. Without one I either cancel, or if it's local and I've nothing much to lose but a bit of wasted time I might go ahead cynically thinking I'm going to get a no show, and most of the time that turns out to be the case in such circumstances, because someone who's serious generally wants to ensure both parties can contact each other in case of transport problems, locating venue, etc. If you know who the photographer actually is, it should be easy enough to find a telephone number for him. Bet you could find mine easily enough if you looked for it. If you can't find one, definitely be wary!

Mike Blissett is off-line
13 November 2014 12:41
MikeBee
Photographer

Kent
Canterbury

Jes,

You really know the answer to this one more than anybody else and that's to walk away.
No need to go into detail with a reply and say the shoots not for you..

But then I trust everybody..well most of the time but something is not right here and many so far do agree.

Be wise and always be careful.

Anthonygh is off-line
13 November 2014 16:49
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Have you Googled his name to see if he is on FB etc.....if so, message him there as well saying you need a phone number asap so you can confirm the arrangements verbally or by text. Send him that message anyway.

14 November 2014 12:53
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London

Jes- I am waiting with baited breath to know what happened!!!

Did the shoot go ahead? Did he make contact?

How did this story end?

fitnude is off-line
14 November 2014 14:25
actiongirl
Model

London

If a one-to-one shoot is proving elusive there maybe another way you could meet this photographer if he/she were to attend a Studio Day, Group Shoot, Charity Shoot, Workshop, Seminar or Training Day.

Commercial photographers have fab websites with their contact details, images, tearsheets and client lists...without it they wouldnt get any work! Otherwise their idea of what a "commecial" shoot is could be very different from yours

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography Nunude redtail steveh32