Reminder Secure

Advice needed regarding a shoot. Should I stay or should I go?!!

Jesfish is off-line
13 November 2014 09:53
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

I don't normally get myself into these situations but I need some advice.

I was contacted via email by a photographer for a commercial shoot a couple of months ago but it got cancelled as he said the client didn't agree to one of the terms in his contract.

Anyway, recently he contacted me again regarding a different shoot to which I agreed.  The shoot is to take place at a location, rather than a studio.  All correspondence has been via email and I've been given the details of where to be and what time, however I've sent an email today to confirm and asked a couple of questions, one of which being about getting paid on the day and the other asking for a mobile phone number.  Soon after, I received an email that was like and automated response but it didn't actually say it was.  The content was something to do with the email not being accessed as much as normal due to a family illness.  I sent another email but haven't got a response.  So am I right in thinking that an automated response would send a reply every time?  If so, why hasn't it sent one the second time?  Hence my suspicions being roused!

Am I being stupid or paranoid?...or would I be a fool to go?  Surely he would be emailing me if the shoot was legitimate and to go ahead?

KHV is online
13 November 2014 09:58
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

I am assuming he has a track record, a website and a history going back a few years.

If not............ then go with your gut feeling and cancel giving your concerns.

Scott

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
13 November 2014 09:58
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Regardless of what the first response was like, if it looks like you're being ignored I'd be tempted to walk away (silence being its own 'answer').
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
13 November 2014 10:12
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from jes
I was contacted via email by a photographer for a commercial shoot a couple of months ago but it got cancelled as he said the client didn't agree to one of the terms in his contract.

Soon after, I received an email that was like and automated response but it didn't actually say it was.  The content was something to do with the email not being accessed as much as normal due to a family illness.  I sent another email but haven't got a response.  So am I right in thinking that an automated response would send a reply every time?  If so, why hasn't it sent one the second time?  Hence my suspicions being roused!

Am I being stupid or paranoid?...or would I be a fool to go?  Surely he would be emailing me if the shoot was legitimate and to go ahead?

To me "client doesn't agree to one of the terms in his contract" sounds far fetched. Hmmm is my response. I wonder what terms in his contract.  

You can set email to give an "out of office" automated reply, but you can of course cancel it at any time.

I am not sure about you being a fool to go. I suspect he is just a time waster who is stringing you along and I doubt if you will ever get a shoot organised with him. I would forget about it and don't waste your time.  

As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Jesfish is off-line
13 November 2014 10:23
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Thank you, just wasn't sure if I was being unreasonable and I don't like letting people down.

With regards to the automated reply; I send two messages just a few minutes apart, so unless it was cancelled inbetween that time, which seems unlikely, then I guess it wasn't a real automated message?  All the automated responses I've ever received have stated that they're so.  On this one there was nothing.

Oh well!

Chrissie Red is off-line
13 November 2014 10:23
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

If you have a bad feeling about it Jes then you already know the answer.

What I would do is send another e-mail and say something like you apologise but the communications have left you worried about how the shoot will go (or something like that). If he is legit he will maybe be able to persuade you that all is well but if not then you will have saved yourself the bother of turning up to this shoot which may or may not be a shoot.

Have you had references from other people he has worked with?

You know the drill though - if something doesn't seem right then its not worth putting yourself into a bad situation.

Jesfish is off-line
13 November 2014 10:24
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from carshaltonkev
To me "client doesn't agree to one of the terms in his contract" sounds far fetched. Hmmm is my response. I wonder what terms in his contract.  

I must admit, I did find this a bit weird.  Most people are able to come to an agreement. 

Jesfish is off-line
13 November 2014 10:27
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from Chrissie_Red
If you have a bad feeling about it Jes then you already know the answer. What I would do is send another e-mail and say something like you apologise but the communications have left you worried about how the shoot will go (or something like that). If he is legit he will maybe be able to persuade you that all is well but if not then you will have saved yourself the bother of turning up to this shoot which may or may not be a shoot. Have you had references from other people he has worked with? You know the drill though - if something doesn't seem right then its not worth putting yourself into a bad situation.

Yes, you're right.  I have already sent an email saying due to the response I'm unsure if the shoot was supposed to go ahead.  I think I will send one more and leave it at that.

marlham is off-line
13 November 2014 10:31
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

When I activate my out-of-office settings I'm given the option to auto-respond EITHER once only OR every time an email is received from a particular address.

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
13 November 2014 10:33
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

I thought experienced professional models went by their gut feeling. If something feels wrong to you with all your experience, chances are you are not imagining it.

I reckon he is just mucking you about, stringing you along. I always get concerned if a model starts to communicate badly or not at all prior to a shoot- and I dare say flakey photographers act the same.

The fact that he is communicating with you direct and not via a website raises doubts in my mind. Does he seem a legit photographer that is so high flying that arguments happen with clients over terms and conditions?! Such a photographer would certainly have their own website. Sounds like hollyhocks to me!

IF IN DOUBT- LEAVE IT OUT!
As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

36 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Chandni23 fashion29 kamazoo latara_18 pinklilly stevepm
android_man Anthonyk david1500 djb1 donaldmac eosfan Essexjohn FlyingShot frank4 Gabby_d IanHighlander iestyn JohnDentonPhoto kaosrox keltica liteangle markwalden MIB mrdl philippahh Pictureimage redmedia Richard99 shadowtime74 siclews steveh32 Stoker swalsh58 TWO50 Zuiko