Reminder Secure

90% Of Correspondence not leading to a shoot...

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Sapphire is off-lineSilver Member
04 November 2014 05:17
BlueSapphire
Model
BlueSapphire
South Yorkshire

Is this just me or do other models have the same problem 
Most of my emails over the last few months have lead no to solid booking, or even once a date has been set no further contact when confirming a few days before, or no confirmation after they have chosen a date - or a cancellation before the shoot date 

I have an abundance of messages that take time to reply to but I have ended up having No shoots before no and the end of the year - from around 20 bookings they have all just disappeared - is this something other models are experiencing or is it just me lol? And do you know why?

Sapphire Blue - 10 Years of Modelling and still at it

04 November 2014 05:44
paule
Photographer

It's not you... or your profile..

Could be loads of reasons: time, finance.. probably being the top two.. and maybe accessibility / location / distance..

However, if plans have been arranged and then it's all just dropped last min' that's just rude, bad manners and unprofessional (even if they are not professionals themselves) no need for that kind of behaviour.

Keep positive.. and think you've at least avoided an time wasting and expense incurring no-show...

Suzy Monty is off-line
04 November 2014 06:24
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Had very long messaging saga on another site, this week for a booking. The photographer even asked for all my body measurements, as in shoulder to mid calf and more, as he said he'd would have a dress made for me..So I sent all the details off to him...

After a lot of correspondence, he STILL hadn't given me the Postcode of MUA's location, a lady booked for shoot,  for my makeup, so I could feed the Postcode into my Sat Nav...

I sent yet another message back, to photographer concerned, stating, please may I have your mobile number and Postcode of MUA for shoot...and he sent the postcode of where he lived in Somerset, NOT the Postcode of the MUA for shoot, which was suppose to be in Cornwall! Even her website didn't give an address, just a contact form, which I duly filled in and asked politely, please what is your address as we are booked to do a shoot together - no reply...

So yet again, I messaged back photographer concerned and asked for Postcode of MUA where we were suppose to meet up... please. Then she was suppose to do my makeup and photographer and I would go onto location...

Still didn't know location of MUA though...and then one eve, I got home rather tired after a full day's shoot with another photographer and saw the 'made a dress for you' photographer had messaged me yet again,

He said, that because the MUA pulled out, he had decided not to go ahead, so booking cancelled. He said he would shoot with me in the future...yep, well that usually means, never...What a waste of time...I could easily have found another more reliable MUA, or done the makeup myself...have had shoots before where MUA didn't turn up and boy, was I glad I had taken my own makeup case, so those shoots still went ahead in those particular instances.

The week before, another paid booking (2 hour drive there) turned into nothing, because the only day photographer could shoot was a Thursday, a day I had appointments  - after I changed round all my appointments to another day to accommodate the photographer, so we could shoot on the Thursday that he had free,  he then changed his mind and said shoot not happening...oh, for goodness sake...

There are all sorts of reasons for shoots not happening...but on the positive side, sometimes a last minute booking comes in, and it's all systems go...

Don't give up...stay positive.

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Sapphire is off-lineSilver Member
04 November 2014 06:29
BlueSapphire
Model
BlueSapphire
South Yorkshire

Thank You

Im glad you understand my frustration Suzy! Its such a nightmare - especially when you are self employed - and I feel that photographers dont appreciate the fact that it does take up our time to keep replying to messages - and when it is a complete waste of my time its so frustrating

And YES thats the worst when they say they will rebook - they NEVER do - i hear so many gripes and moans about models but honestly this year for photographers has been a nightmare for me

Sapphire Blue - 10 Years of Modelling and still at it

Suzy Monty is off-line
04 November 2014 06:32
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Yes, Sapphire.. FRUSTRATING is the operative word...and well done to you, for having so many positive reviews...keep up the good work
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

marlham is off-line
04 November 2014 09:09
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

My impression is that models who've been around for a while and continue to be able to sustain themselves do so largely through repeat bookings with photographers they've worked with before. Maybe those photographers tend to be more reliable (and vice versa so do the models)? Perhaps target people you've worked with before and see if they're willing to schedule further work with you?

Elaine  is off-lineSilver Member
08 November 2014 06:04
seeryder
Model
seeryder
West Yorkshire
Wakefield

I have found that there is a type of "photographer" who gets some kind of kick out of making arrangements for a shoot , often in some detail, but then just disappears off the radar a couple of days before the booking. Not happened to me on Purestorm thankfully but has happened on other sites.

marlham is off-line
08 November 2014 09:08
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from seeryder
I have found that there is a type of "photographer" who gets some kind of kick out of making arrangements for a shoot , often in some detail, but then just disappears off the radar a couple of days before the booking. Not happened to me on Purestorm thankfully but has happened on other sites.

I think that often happens because models frequently advertise 'not to be missed' discounted rates and the photographer can't resist what he thinks is a bargain. I used to see it happen a fair bit when I had my hire studio - photographer turns up with a different model to the one I was expecting and when I ask him what happened to so-and-so he just says his replacement model made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I think it's fairly common - probably moreso these days because many models are quite desperate to get work whilst photographers are also keen to save as many pennies as possible. I'm not saying it's right - just that it happens.

Salacious Art is off-line
08 November 2014 11:11
pentax5AC
Photographer

East Yorkshire
Bridlington

Yes, I fully agree. Time wasting and cancellations have sadly become a regular feature common to both camps, with photographers and models as guilty in equal measure.

You can't legislate for those members who lack the professionalism and courtesy to honour a booking, but the best advice is not to take their poor behaviour personally.

I have often placed casting calls that produce a very good response, only to watch applicants fade away as we draw closer to the date. In some instances this is simply because they haven't read the important details of the casting, not least travelling and distance.

You get used to it...for example, if I get a reply from a model in Brighton, who claims to be willing to travel all the way to North Yorkshire for a two hour slot paid at a rate that would hardly cover the cost of her train fare...chances are, she ain't coming, even if her initial reply would have you believe that she is!!

Elaine  is off-lineSilver Member
09 November 2014 03:43
seeryder
Model
seeryder
West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Likewise. if a photographer offers a very generous rate & says he will travel a long way I am a bit suspicious. That said I have had successful shoots take place on that basis. One chap traveled all the way from the Isle of Wight just to do a shoot with me, then went back the same day.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Baileysandcream ElleLaura swifty24
ad360photo Belemboo brendan chriscooze cliffc daveo FlashHarry100 GSC4X Jerryg peteb PhilStorm Rscott360 siclews stevegosh steveh32 swalsh58 tony121 visions11 Willjamieson zzdigital
Lensmaster