This thread is being watched by 1 person
Brian Buckland is off-lineSilver Member
09 November 2014 10:19
para
Photographer
para
Norfolk
Diss

I think we some times forget that most folks very rarely use the forums,most models keep well clear.Possibly more going on in the background than we realise.
A few months back I put up a casting and got more or less the same number of replies here as from Purple Port so Purestorm is still in with a shout.
More going on in the forums in Purple port if you want that sort of thing,most of it doesn't interest me.There seems to be more new members profiles there,but very few that I would work with.
Takeaway all the whistles bells and shiny things from Purple port and there's very little difference between the two sites for me.My only reason for being on any site is to contact models and here lies a problem
I started photography about eight years ago and I've noticed a gradual decline in the standard and numbers of new models in this area.In Norfolk there are about sixteen pages of models profiles and there is no point in going beyond the second page.
With the demise of the lads mags,less opportunity for a model to be published,less paid work,what's in it for them.Cam work seems to be the way forward for the more gifted ones.I sometimes wonder where the professionals get the models from to make a living for themselves.I do wonder where the models for 2016 will be
Purestorm has worked for me over the last few years as does Purple port

Preswylfa is off-line
09 November 2014 11:21
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

I log in to Purestorm at least twice a day, check for new castings, models and mail and then run my eyes over the forum section.
I seldom post on a subject as I often have nothing pertinent to add to the drivel often found there.
As long as the topic is interesting then it's worth following otherwise I move on. This applies to all sites and is not just to Purestorm.

Mike.

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 November 2014 19:53
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I'm just glad PS doesn't have lots of statistics.

Chrissie_Red is a naughty person seeing the forum cluttered with Chrissie_Red is a naughty person like these posts everyday -

"Thanks guys - My image had had 50 views today, you are all great.. Can I be cheeky and ask you all to look (as I know a few of you will have missed it), would love to get it up to 100"

"Woah" - Thanks all for liking my recent image, I wasn't sure about it myself so I'm super please you liked viewing it. I'm about to upload another from the same set so go over to my page and show it some love"

Ain't nobody got time for that everyday of their lives.

I guess if there are less new members then we aren't getting the same old posts and in reality the "same old" is what keeps a forum active and engaging. When new members do go hunting for topics that interest them its usually old threads - so in a way people are getting more intelligent, or at least the members joining up are because they actually do the homework that we used to suggest they do when they posted a basic question that people answered only a few days previously.

I guess though it just takes a few members to "liven" things up again, I still care about PS - I'm sure others do to, so maybe we need to all have a think of some new topics that are of interest to people. It might help if we all try to act as welcoming and friendly as we possibly can to help keep this ever decreasing community alive. I know I've not always been the most pleasant person on the forums but a couple of years ago I thought to myself "do I gain anything by being a dickhead? am I actually a dickhead..." the answer was no. I know sometimes people rub each other up the wrong way but we are all here for the same thing - to learn/grow and meet other people who has the same interests as we do.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 November 2014 03:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It does tickle me with the whole stats thing on PP when you get some of the most popular members on there regularly posting on FB with false modesty that they're surprised how popular an image is, and that they'd never expected to get such attention. It's utterly nauseating not only how they behave by constantly fishing for complements/arse kissing but how much everyone sucks up to them. PP is an ideal site for people with this sort of ego as the whole setup of 'loving' image,sharing,stats & recommendations on there is geared up for precisely this sort of thing, which also sadly means it's not a level playing field and IMO works to a disadvantage for those not willing to play this stats-boosting game.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

G Jack B is off-line
10 November 2014 07:02
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from RedChecker
It does tickle me with the whole stats thing on PP when you get some of the most popular members on there regularly posting on FB with false modesty that they're surprised how popular an image is, and that they'd never expected to get such attention. It's utterly nauseating not only how they behave by constantly fishing for complements/arse kissing but how much everyone sucks up to them. PP is an ideal site for people with this sort of ego as the whole setup of 'loving' image,sharing,stats & recommendations on there is geared up for precisely this sort of thing, which also sadly means it's not a level playing field and IMO works to a disadvantage for those not willing to play this stats-boosting game.

+1

F*** thats where Im going wrong.....   cheeky
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Matt Harper is off-line
10 November 2014 07:54
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

At the time I start typing this, there are 6 images in the Premium Members' Recent Images for today and the last forum post was the one above by RedChecker, 3 hours and 34 minutes ago.

This is the problem, the only problem that exists. The content of the forum on here, PP and back in the better days of NM always varies, be it Look at Me threads, Off Topic, Politics, Techy stuff, Shared Shoots and so on, as such, there will always be something to mattharper is a naughty person one off, as there may well be something that one would want to join the discussion about. As far as I am aware, there is no rule enforcing one to be drawn into something one might not want to be part of. Whichever way you look at it, the forum does make a site more lively, even if many threads may be of no interest to you.
What killed NM off wasn't the forum, it wasn't the mattharper is a naughty person ty readers' wives, it was the owner's complete reluctance to wake up and make the site attractive to the younger generation. It was, no doubt still is, like looking at an old mainframe database, it had limited functionality and was so unattractive to those younger people used to Facebook and alike. There were promises of this and that but NOTHING at all was done. The older members begged and begged for a revamp and over 18 months, repeatedly asked for something to be done or they would take their subscription elsewhere. Many of us looked more to Purestorm as it was busier and had more "live" members using it. But then, along came PP; Russ and CO looked at all the sites, took the best ideas from them (not much really) and added a modern look and feel, modern functionality, embraced inter-site=interaction, in fact, positively encouraging it as the potential was huge. It only takes half a brain cell to realise that with most of the population on FB, models and photographers sharing pics and becoming "friends" with hundreds of people, the potential was massive. Just look what happened, PP was all over the FB pages of people like US lot and it took off. They bit the bullet for a while before introducing a charge, when they did, it was highly competitive, too low if anything, then, after two years, put it up, a big jump, but still only up to HALF what Platinum is on here for a year.

PP has rules, like PS has, NM had a few too, keep breaking them and you will be out, simple. At least one contributor to this thread has been banned from PP. I sense a lot of bitterness, possibly based on the fact that the site doing best isn't the one some of you are on, your choice or you didn't accept the other site's rules, or spirit of the rules. RC posted this on page 1:

"I left after receiving e-mailed threats from management, apparently they didn't like it when I'd make sarky comments on the forums especially when it concerned one of their 'inner-circle'. Never mind what they say though, even if it includes causing offense by making fun of rape victims but hey ho!"

This comes up often enough, so once more won't matter. The reason the rape "joke" was made, which is never mentioned, was there was a thread about lads' mags encouraging rape that went a bit off topic and I posted it to make the point that words are not always real, not literal all of the time; it was also accompanied, again, never mentioned and not included in the copied posts to Facebook, by a comment saying that rape was vile. What happened then? WOW, a chance to get rid of Harper and a few people went off on one about me. PP then removed the thread, I was put on a forum suspension and that was the end of it. Ah, but it wasn't, several members decided to take it to Facebook, the "joke" part of my post was copied, but NOT the bit in the same post about rape being vile. Then followed abuse about me (fair enough, I am not that concerned, it said more about them than me) and also about PP and the owner, slagging the hell out of him and how he ran the site. Now forgive me if my attitude here is not to your liking, but if I owned a site and members were slagging me and my site off on Facebook, I would bloody well ban them, all of them, as did happen to a few members. Shock horror, how dare they ban Tom, Dick Jane and Susan and not Harper? Simple, I got a bollocking and a forum suspension, I did NOT go to FB slagging off PP or its owner, but a large group of people didn't like the result so went on a bitching fest. It died down after a while, as things tend to do, there is still some bitterness about it, as is evident from RC's post that I refer to on page1. But in context, it is/was nothing, there is far more going on on PP than one little crusade to out someone who might not be too popular.

In short, PS needs to change dramatically and it needs to do it soon. It also needs to match the competitor's subscription price or people simply won't pay here. PS will die if this doesn't happen, you can all moan as much as you like, slag off PP, whatever makes you feel good, but facts are facts and out of the two sites, PS and PP, there is only one worth paying for and it's half the price as well. A bit of a NO BRAINER, don't you think?  That's where my money is going and where I spend my time.  I get nothing from PS now, partly as I will not pay for something that gives me less than a better site at half the cost. 

Interesting that RC defends PS and supports it, after a look a few minutes ago, I see he hasn't uploaded a pic in 2014, so far. That's not exactly making much use of a site or supporting it; waffling crap on the forum ain't doing much for PS, but then, your £79.99 annual (more than double PP)  or £95.88 total monthly subscription (way more than double PP)   is keeping it going, for now.

I notice that in the time I took typing this crap, someone else has posted, 50 minutes ago. Hell, I am a slow typist.

marlham is off-line
10 November 2014 08:06
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I know I've not always been the most pleasant person on the forums but a couple of years ago I thought to myself "do I gain anything by being a dickhead? am I actually a dickhead..." the answer was no. I know sometimes people rub each other up the wrong way but we are all here for the same thing - to learn/grow and meet other people who has the same interests as we do.

If I was still on PP it would have driven me round the bend by now. Too many idiots on the forum spouting utter garbage. At least when those same idiots were on PS they didn't get away with it so easily - someone would have been on it like a shot. On PP that doesn't happen - most of those with any sense have either been ground down so they no longer bother or have been given the boot for being 'contentious' or left of their own accord.

marlham is off-line
10 November 2014 08:21
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from mattharper
This comes up often enough, so once more won't matter. The reason the rape "joke" was made, which is never mentioned, was there was a thread about lads' mags encouraging rape that went a bit off topic and I posted it to make the point that words are not always real, not literal all of the time; it was also accompanied, again, never mentioned and not included in the copied posts to Facebook, by a comment saying that rape was vile.

So, let me get this right. You made a vile rape joke on a modelling site forum and accompanied it with a comment that rape is vile. By doing so you think the joke is is less vile or even acceptable?

Matt Harper is off-line
10 November 2014 09:11
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from marlhamphoto
So, let me get this right. You made a vile rape joke on a modelling site forum and accompanied it with a comment that rape is vile. By doing so you think the joke is is less vile or even acceptable?

It makes no difference if it is a modelling site, a stamp collecting site or a crochet site, so that bit is irrelevant, there is no need to make any point about a modelling site being different, if someone has a principle, it must surely be the same anywhere,  (maybe not on Sickapedia).  

But yes, I did, but you possibly aren't aware iof what preceded it, a page full of mattharper is a naughty person about whether people's words are always to be taken literally.
One example I recall was if a guy said "cor, she's nice, I wouldn't mind smashing her back doors in";   which does not mean he literally wants to damage the person he is talking about, it is just an example of how people use fairly blunt statements to say something whcih might, as with this example, be a compliment, but a group of people  decided that it is  meant literally and that anyone saying that must want to assault and casue real damage to the person.   Remember, the thread was about whether Lads' Mags encoraged rape.  The joke was not acceptable, which is exactly why it was posted, to show not everything is to be taken literally, it was not in the Joke Forum Group, it was purely an example in a thread about rape and make no apology for it, other than to the site for the trouble it caused.  I am not sure if it was while you were a member, before or after you were banned from PP, as I am pretty sure you were.   

And no, I don't and won't give a toss what anyone has to say about it or about me, whether I am an out of touch, foul mothed Philistine or some other description, it was something that happened over a year ago and is a buried subject. 

marlham is off-line
10 November 2014 09:43
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from mattharper
One example I recall was if a guy said "cor, she's nice, I wouldn't mind smashing her back doors in";   which does not mean he literally wants to damage the person he is talking about, it is just an example of how people use fairly blunt statements to say something whcih might, as with this example, be a compliment, but a group of people  decided that it is  meant literally and that anyone saying that must want to assault and casue real damage to the person.

Do you honestly think that if a guy says to, or about, a woman "I wouldn't mind smashing her back doors in" that it would be taken as a compliment by any women hearing it? Let alone the woman about whom it's said?

If that's the crux of your argument then I think you're going to flounder. Unless it's me that's completely out of touch.

38 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray Ashleighmckenzie Cherrellebelle Jamesdean111 louisakawaii maria_dyl Samanthajane4 tanyacox
ad360photo BobWright bopguy2k8 diphoto djb1 eosfan ImageStyle jackw john_at_tina_spice JohnDentonPhoto johnwayne keltica Kjoservices Ladiesman liteangle lukaszmarcinkowski mg MIB nwmedia pafriend penfold10 philcarpenter61 redbaron rembrandt rscott360 star_shots stephenmuddell steveh32 ton tony_b