Whats Happening Purestorm

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Anthonygh is off-line
08 November 2014 09:06
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from BigEarsPix
Most of the "interesting" subjects being discussed on the PP forums were discussed (done to death!) here on PS a couple of years ago, and on the NM forums a couple of years before that. There is nothing new under the sun, what goes around comes around.

On sites like these...a million times!! I'm surprised no-one has posted about chaperones and shooting under 18s in recent weeks...must be time for them again...surprise

marlham is off-line
08 November 2014 09:35
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

If you get all the wannabe models and photographers joining up then inevitably you'll get all the same old elementary discussions and arguments regurgitated time and time again - ad nauseum. I think PS has matured and is fundamentally a different site to what it used to be. I also think the changes it's undergone have been mostly deliberate. The site's policy with regard to new model and photographer signups alone will have had a significant impact on the make up of the site's members and hence the nature of discussions on the forums. It feels to me as if the site has simply matured more than anything. I suspect the migration of some members to PP has in many respects assisted PS move in the direction it intended all along - just more rapidly than it might otherwise have done. Personally I think a mature site with sound policies learned over many years is a welcome oasis.

In many ways I think it's similar to the photography magazines you used to buy when you were learning - all the basics are covered from issue to issue. But after several months you start to notice that the themes are starting to repeat and you get frustrated and stop buying. Clearly that magazine knows it's target market is the continuous stream of new learners so that's what it focusses on and nothing more. It's usefulness is limited and you soon get bored with it and move on to something more compelling. To my mind that's where PP forums are now and where PS forums used to be in the past - mired in the basics and the petty rivalries.

Maybe it's a symptom of my increasing age but give me a mature site any day - I certainly don't have the energy or enthusiasm for the type of discussions I used to get involved in and which are what I suspect are the majority of those to be found on the PP forums.

08 November 2014 11:07
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from BigEarsPix
Fair point but there is a search forum function, okay I know nobody uses it, but it does my head in when the same old subjects come up week in week out.

Sorry, don't know how to split posts into separate quotes, so please bear with me here. Ref. the search function: surely that only works if you have a subject you want to search? When I look at the PP forum, I very often see thread titles and think to myself, "Oh, this one looks interesting, not seen that discussed before." So in that instance the search function's no good because I can't enter something into it if I haven't even thought of it. And ref. it doing your head in when the same old subjects come up week in, week out: can't you just read the thread title, roll your eyes and/or tut if it's the same old same old, and then simply not bother to open that particular thread, rather than let it do your head in?

08 November 2014 11:15
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from anthonyh
I'm surprised no-one has posted about chaperones and shooting under 18s in recent weeks

More than happy for any model to bring a chaperone along. Never shot an under 18, but would happily do so if accompanied by their parent/guardian, and only taking age appropriate shots, which for me would be head shots and fashion. There you go, sorted

Steve Walsh is off-line
08 November 2014 14:28
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

Quote from PaulManuell
More than happy for any model to bring a chaperone along. Never shot an under 18, but would happily do so if accompanied by their parent/guardian, and only taking age appropriate shots, which for me would be head shots and fashion. There you go, sorted

I don't think that comment was meant as an invite......

08 November 2014 15:44
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from swalsh58

I don't think that comment was meant as an invite......

Neither was my comment which you commented on.

Roger Vaughan is off-line
08 November 2014 17:42
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Warwickshire
Rugby

Quote from marlhamphoto
If you get all the wannabe models and photographers joining up then inevitably you'll get all the same old elementary discussions and arguments regurgitated time and time again - ad nauseum. I think PS has matured and is fundamentally a different site to what it used to be. I also think the changes it's undergone have been mostly deliberate. The site's policy with regard to new model and photographer signups alone will have had a significant impact on the make up of the site's members and hence the nature of discussions on the forums. It feels to me as if the site has simply matured more than anything. I suspect the migration of some members to PP has in many respects assisted PS move in the direction it intended all along - just more rapidly than it might otherwise have done. Personally I think a mature site with sound policies learned over many years is a welcome oasis.

In many ways I think it's similar to the photography magazines you used to buy when you were learning - all the basics are covered from issue to issue. But after several months you start to notice that the themes are starting to repeat and you get frustrated and stop buying. Clearly that magazine knows it's target market is the continuous stream of new learners so that's what it focusses on and nothing more. It's usefulness is limited and you soon get bored with it and move on to something more compelling. To my mind that's where PP forums are now and where PS forums used to be in the past - mired in the basics and the petty rivalries.

Maybe it's a symptom of my increasing age but give me a mature site any day - I certainly don't have the energy or enthusiasm for the type of discussions I used to get involved in and which are what I suspect are the majority of those to be found on the PP forums.

I think you are right. If you have been around for more than a few years the majority of forum topics are tiresome. At one time to stop forum know-it-alls getting on my tits I would try and keep away and only use the sites for booking models but now I've got far too much time on my hands and have drifted back into reading them. It's my own fault.
Roger Vaughan

09 November 2014 04:06
johnlp
Photographer

Quote from MG
I've just discovered a brand new site.... Looks fantastic and seems to work really well. It's only just been launched so not many people on it yet but well worth a look... Hope I don't get in to trouble for this but its modelmaxim.com    This site has its good points and so does purple but it will be interesting to see how big this new one gets...

No, it's not "fantastic".  It's very ordinary and lacks features which make it a dead loss for me.

Also, the owner "cold called" me on my private email address, given to him without permission by a model.  Not impressed, and as yet no apology from the model.

09 November 2014 06:55
paulbatterbury
Photographer

"Stop Paying For your Professional Profile"

personal I would pay to be a member of a site that only had professionals on it, and do away with forum post such as "I'm Leaving" or "I've just slip up with my Boyfriend". It would be nice to know that everyone on the site is looking or offering paid work and has reached an acceptable level in their photography / modelling before they are accepted on the site, where your messages in you inbox would be about paid work but delicate reliable colleagues, who wanted to work and not want attention, and not message like "Luv Yr work x" or " we must shoot, hun xx" and off course "interested" if you where really interested you would write so much more.

A site where if you didn't turn up or was accused of inappropriate behavior on a shoot or on-line, then you are suspended pending on an investigation of both parties and if need be banned.

Such a site would eventually do away with agencies and bring more proefssional back on-line to offer and produce work, that would be fantastic.

Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

Paul J is off-line
09 November 2014 07:22
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

Quote from paulbatterbury
"Stop Paying For your Professional Profile" personal I would pay to be a member of a site that only had professionals on it, and do away with forum post such as "I'm Leaving" or "I've just slip up with my Boyfriend". It would be nice to know that everyone on the site is looking or offering paid work and has reached an acceptable level in their photography / modelling before they are accepted on the site, where your messages in you inbox would be about paid work but delicate reliable colleagues, who wanted to work and not want attention, and not message like "Luv Yr work x" or " we must shoot, hun xx" and off course "interested" if you where really interested you would write so much more. A site where if you didn't turn up or was accused of inappropriate behavior on a shoot or on-line, then you are suspended pending on an investigation of both parties and if need be banned. Such a site would eventually do away with agencies and bring more proefssional back on-line to offer and produce work, that would be fantastic.

But for that site to work, you would always need all your professionals to conduct themselves professionally .... which isn't always the case.
..... and your legs are too short, I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa KerryWright24 miles mprzyb scarlettfoxett Sifx Winterlilly Yenguo
baxter1989 cefyl creakypete ElegantCaptures eosfan Fashionphotography geoffmarchant gordon GSC4X hodgen Ladiesman markeos50d MIB Njsphotography philippahh rscott360 Steveh32 Stevenbennett Vltavakrtek will_i_am