Matt Harper is off-line
10 November 2014 09:50
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from marlhamphoto
Do you honestly think that if a guy says to, or about, a woman "I wouldn't mind smashing her back doors in" that it would be taken as a compliment by any women hearing it? Let alone the woman about whom it's said?

If that's the crux of your argument then I think you're going to flounder. Unless it's me that's completely out of touch.

I don't think it is a matter of anyone being out of touch, it is just laddish talk that a sensible bloke wotuldn't say to  a woman, unless he knew she would take it as intended. 
I have talked to lots of people over the last year about it and used that very saying as an example, most of whom are models actually and without exception, they have said it is the sort of talk they hear all the time and they don't take it seriously at all.   It isn't a saying I use myself though. 

It does, however, offend certain people on sites like this as they love to be offended on other people's behalf and love even more, to have a crack at someone as it makes them look amazing  

marlham is off-line
10 November 2014 09:59
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from mattharper
I don't think it is a matter of anyone being out of touch, it is just laddish talk that a sensible bloke wotuldn't say to  a woman, unless he knew she would take it as intended.

But that's the point isn't it - what you might regard as acceptable within a small group of people whom you know very well isn't acceptable on a modelling forum. Maybe you thought you knew the people on the forum better than you actually did?
Quote from mattharper
I have talked to lots of people over the last year about it and used that very saying as an example, most of whom are models actually and without exception, they have said it is the sort of talk they hear all the time and they don't take it seriously at all.   It isn't a saying I use myself though.

Do you have a daughter? Or sisters?

I don't doubt women hear that and similar an awful lot. Just because it happens a lot though doesn't make it acceptable or tolerable IMO.

Roger Vaughan is off-line
10 November 2014 10:20
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Warwickshire
Rugby

I don't understand this PP's got a better more modern user interface thing. Okay I'm not a spring chicken so don't get it all but some features of their interface do my head in. Pop up windows that don't pop down again, especially on mobile devices. The app that calculates the distances for the casting calls is rubbish. Rugby is not 51 miles from London and 51 miles from Birmingham. It took me months to work out what FPI stood for and couldn't understand why there are so many arguments about them on the forums because I don't see any front page images. It was turned off in my preferences . I worked in IT for over 20 years and I've seen some shocking user interfaces and PS isn't bad by a long chalk.
I have never paid for any modelling web site (cheapskate), I only need one feature, the ability to book a model. If I had to pay for one it would have to be PS because 99% of my bookings have come through here.
Roger Vaughan

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
10 November 2014 11:31
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from mattharper
Interesting that RC defends PS and supports it, after a look a few minutes ago, I see he hasn't uploaded a pic in 2014, so far.

Turning threads into a portfolio review is the SOP in PP but pls do not start it here.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
10 November 2014 11:35
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from BigEarsPix
I don't understand this PP's got a better more modern user interface thing. Okay I'm not a spring chicken so don't get it all but some features of their interface do my head in.

I agree, PP UI is a mess.

To some users PS looks dated but at least here you can easily find the settings you need, no need to find the right cog.

Matt Harper is off-line
10 November 2014 11:53
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from marlhamphoto
But that's the point isn't it - what you might regard as acceptable within a small group of people whom you know very well isn't acceptable on a modelling forum. Maybe you thought you knew the people on the forum better than you actually did?

Do you have a daughter? Or sisters?

I don't doubt women hear that and similar an awful lot. Just because it happens a lot though doesn't make it acceptable or tolerable IMO.

I am not really that concerned with what is acceptable to you on or off a modelling site.  I have just got back from walking my dogs on the beach and there was a woman there who I see possibly four times a week walking her dog.  I said to her "what do you think Imean if I say I would like to smash your back doors in?"    She just laughed and I told her, no, seriously, what do you think it means?  She said, "I suppose it means you want to shag me", continuing to laugh and that is exactly the same answer I have had from several women, MOSTLY  models as I don't go out much, apart from walkimng my dogs and shopping.   See, the real world isn't quite so precious, or pretentious and funnily enough, nearly all the models I have encountered happen to live in the real world as well as use sites like this.  I managed to get 78 positive references on here without pretence or walking on eggshells, just being myself, but hey, I guess they are all lying.   

No, no daughters but stepdaughter,  a nurse, now in her early forties who also isn't quite so precious.  

Acceptable or tolerable?  Well, something you did on PP was not tolerated, so I am hardly about to take advice from someone who has and continues to be a troll.  You still haven't answered the question I asked you a few months ago about digging up something I said and if it was relative to the thread you did so, in or was it to troll, try and cause an argument.  I asked two or three times, but you overlooked it a few times while answering other posts.  So, Sir, I am certainly not in the position where I have to take advice or criticism from a proven complete mattharper is a naughty person such as yourself.  And if that gets me banned from PS, so be it, I couldn't give a toss, I rarely shoot, can't, rarely come on here, but just thought I would have a look and as usual, you are in the forum, you and a small handful of others, always slagging off PP, which you just happen to be a bit bitter about.  Well, PP is a far better site, partially,  as it doesn't have you on it.   I could go on but need to lie down and when in pain, I might get angry and say something I regret, so I won't. 

Chrissie Red is off-line
10 November 2014 12:26
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

PP interface doesn't bother me, I think its kind of neat but then I usually just access these sites from the computer so its fairly easy to navigate on most of them.

*yawn* Matts dribble - meh.. I won't go over old history, its time we all moved on - deep down somewhere inside he knows his "joke" was repulsive.

Matt Harper is off-line
10 November 2014 12:38
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from Chrissie_Red
PP interface doesn't bother me, I think its kind of neat but then I usually just access these sites from the computer so its fairly easy to navigate on most of them. *yawn* Matts dribble - meh.. I won't go over old history, its time we all moved on - deep down somewhere inside he knows his "joke" was repulsive.

That's the point, I never said it wasn't, it was awful, but that was why I put it in the thread, to emphasise that words are words, no one would think that was anything but repulsive, but it was taken completely on its own and coopied to FB and in emails where readers could only see the "joke" and not the rest of my post. 

However, as anyone who has been on forums more than five minutes knows, people love to take a snippet and use it in isolation.  That's internet Life for you. 

Anthonygh is off-line
10 November 2014 13:54
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

This thread really does remind me of the good old N-M and PS days......might be hope for the place yet

Roger Vaughan is off-line
10 November 2014 14:27
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Warwickshire
Rugby

Quote from anthonyh
This thread really does remind me of the good old N-M and PS days......might be hope for the place yet

Well come on and join in smiley . I've never posted this much in my life.

Roger Vaughan

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
joann2
abouncer cygnet photofrank Steveh32