JSP is onlinePlatinum Member
25 April 2015 10:22
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
Isn't that a LiveView feature?  (it has no bearing on taking normal photos)

It still doesn't account for the fact that every single LCD screen out there will have a different brightness, colour tone and reflectivity and they'll all appear different when compared side-by-side.

I checked my history gram nowadays. I have discovering that my LCD panel on the back of my camera tends to shows a nice bright images, when they are usually underexposed. To get round this I am starting to shoot slightly brighter (which looks overexposed) in order to get the correct exposure.

To get an accurate view of the scene I tend to use the viewfinder as on my camera it is renowned for being accurate and true.

As the gentleman says, do not rely on your LCD!
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

HowardJ is off-line
25 April 2015 12:29
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Try factory resetting it and go from there.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
25 April 2015 12:35
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Seeing as the OP was at the start of November 2014 I'm sure this was resolved long before someone decided to do some gravedigging
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

David Hunt is off-line
28 April 2015 08:27
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

Yes, I have worked out that I have to underexpose by exactly one half of a stop to reliably get the images I need after performing a white/grey balance. ie. Measure for f5.6 5/10 and shoot at f8.

I cannot make sense of the histogram as it is all gobbledegook to me!

JSP is onlinePlatinum Member
18 May 2015 11:46
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from dhuntuk
Yes, I have worked out that I have to underexpose by exactly one half of a stop to reliably get the images I need after performing a white/grey balance. ie. Measure for f5.6 5/10 and shoot at f8. I cannot make sense of the histogram as it is all gobbledegook to me!

The histogram is not that hard once you've checked it out on the Internet. It's a good way of making sure that you are not overexposing an image by clipping the right-hand side, or under exposing an image by clipping the left-hand side.

Every time I look it up on the Internet I always come across this saying, "shoot to the right." I'm sure loads of photographers on here could explain what that means better than me, but as I am one of the few people left on the forum I suppose I ought to have a go.

In simplistic terms you ideally need the spikes on your histogram to be on the right side, but not so far right that they are right up against the corner or your image will turn out to be overexposed.

The same principle applies to the left-hand side. Only this time, if you are clipping the left side then your image will be underexposed.

Hope that makes sense.laugh

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE ElleLaura
andrewf Andy_B diller djb1 edb funky GlasgowPhotographer IronHouse Jan77 Ladiesman metro philippahh photostevo psn rmi robhillphoto Robinsky Steveharratt stevie_de VB_Photo